My plan

1. Sign Drew Brees. He's young, but he's a proven veteran.

2. To make salary cap room for Brees, I'd cut Bledsoe and Eric Moulds.

3. To replace Eric Moulds, I'd trade Losman (who we wouldn't need now that we'd have Brees) for a first round pick. With that pick I'd draft a possession WR.

4. Trade Travis Henry for whatever I can get, and go into the season with McGahee, Shaud Williams, and Joe Burns as my RBs.

5. Use my second and third round picks on a C and OG.

6. Use the Travis Henry pick on another WR.

7. Sign a low-cost veteran QB to be the backup/mentor, or just keep Bledsoe around at a significantly reduced salary.

8. Go with Campbell/Ehrus/Peters at TE; those guys show potential.

9. Use the remaining draft picks (4 - 7) on the defense.

10. Re-sign Jennings.

By the time I was finished, I'd have Drew Brees at QB, Evans, Aiken, and a first round pick at WR, McGahee and Williams at RB, Erhus, Campbell, and Peters at TE, a 3rd round pick at left OG, a 2nd round pick waiting in the wings to replace Teague at C, and the salary cap under control. We'd be strong at QB, RB, WR, OL; and we'd be respectable at TE and FB.

Who's going to give up a first rounder for Losman? He was picked in the late first round, sure, but he is also raw and unproven.

CUT Eric Moulds? He is this team's #1 offensive weapon, leader and mentor. . . and if anything, cutting him would kill cap space more than opening it.

San Diego is going to tag Brees. I would like to have him, but this plan has us getting more than we would be giving away.

3. To replace Eric Moulds, I'd trade Losman (who we wouldn't need now that we'd have Brees) for a first round pick. With that pick I'd draft a possession WR.

4. Trade Travis Henry for whatever I can get, and go into the season with McGahee, Shaud Williams, and Joe Burns as my RBs.

7. Sign a low-cost veteran QB to be the backup/mentor, or just keep Bledsoe around at a significantly reduced salary.

10. Re-sign Jennings.

By the time I was finished, I'd have Drew Brees at QB, Evans, Aiken, and a first round pick at WR, McGahee and Williams at RB, Erhus, Campbell, and Peters at TE, a 3rd round pick at left OG, a 2nd round pick waiting in the wings to replace Teague at C, and the salary cap under control. We'd be strong at QB, RB, WR, OL; and we'd be respectable at TE and FB.

191468[/snapback]

I dont think TE is as secure as you think both Euhus and Campbell are coming off ACL tears that takes a good year to heal so dont see them ready at the start of the season.

So you trade away JP who ya used a first pick on to get Brees? Who do you think will go for that one?

I dont think TE is as secure as you think both Euhus and Campbell are coming off ACL tears that takes a good year to heal so dont see them ready at the start of the season. 

So you trade away JP who ya used a first pick on to get Brees?  Who do you think will go for that one?

191482[/snapback]

Well, last year several teams wanted to use a first round pick to draft Losman. I'd think those same teams would be willing to trade away a first round pick in this year's draft to get that same player. It's not like Losman has done anything to embarass himself in the past year. He hasn't done anything to distinguish himself either, so his value is about the same as it was in last year's draft.

Who's going to give up a first rounder for Losman? He was picked in the late first round, sure, but he is also raw and unproven.

CUT Eric Moulds? He is this team's #1 offensive weapon, leader and mentor. . . and if anything, cutting him would kill cap space more than opening it.

San Diego is going to tag Brees. I would like to have him, but this plan has us getting more than we would be giving away.

191474[/snapback]

Willis McGahee was our top offensive weapon, not Eric Moulds. Our passing game was substandard, and Moulds was part of that problem. He's scheduled to count $8.5 million against the 2005 salary cap. In other words, his cap space is taking the place of Drew Brees. Of the two, I know which player I'd rather have. Moulds was signed to an extension prior to the 2001 season. You can only amortize a bonus by up to six years, and he's had four seasons since that extension was signed. If we cut him, we'd get hit with two seasons of bonus for 2005 (instead of the one season + base salary we will be hit with if we keep him) but we'd be free and clear of him by 2006.

If you're right about San Diego tagging Brees, this plan wouldn't work.

191482[/snapback]

Under my plan, the offense will start off slowly anyway, as Brees adjusts to a new system, and because two of the starters would be rookies (left OG and possession WR). The only way to avoid this slow start is to keep Drew at QB; and there are obvious problems with that idea. The TEs getting off to a slow start will make the problem worse. I guess MM could rummage up a defensive lineman or someone to hold the fort until our real TEs were ready to play.

10. Re-sign Jennings.

191468[/snapback]

I love these mad cap half baked plans. Dude, Drew Brees is playing in San Diego. Sunny San Diego. Sunny San Diego on a division winning playoff team. Sunny San Diego on a division winning playoff team with a great offensive line...need I go on? :P

191474[/snapback]

Not to encourage such a stupid "plan"...but the draft is dirt-poor in QBs this year, I think. Might make someone desperate enough to trade a 1st for Losman.

Problem is...there's really no one worth picking with that 1st anyways. It's a thin draft all-around.

Any time you ask for change, people caught up in the status quo will call your ideas absurd.

191512[/snapback]

Especially if you say the same things 8 times in 5 different threads over 2 days. At least in this thread you didn't cut Mike Williams & Trey Teague too. :P

My plan:

Get a game plan that pulls the guards 60% of the time, run the da*n fb at least a hundred times, get hit and release wr's who poplulate 15 -20 yards downfield with one running a deep whatever, get a TE that takes out a LB then releases, and a defense that pays more attention to wide run play containment.

Especially if you say the same things 8 times in 5 different threads over 2 days.  At least in this thread you didn't cut Mike Williams & Trey Teague too.  :P

191517[/snapback]

True, but at least in this plan Trey Teague is a year away from being cut. :lol: Mike Williams . . . it would be nice to see him take a paycut.

Well, at least you're coming up with some kind of solution instead of just yelling that Bledsoe is the reason for all our ills.

I'd be curious, though, about signing Drew Brees. You simply say "Sign Drew Brees" as though SD would be happy to just get rid of him. You'd have to offer something in return, and last I checked we really don't have much to offer given Dallas owns our first pick this year. It's kinda like saying, "Okay...here's my plan to win the Super Bowl. First, we win the Super Bowl..." :P

It's been widely reported Drew Brees will get the Franchise Tag if a new deal isn't worked out. I'm aware of the Rivers contract but that's the Chargers problem. They claim they can carry both for a couple years.

We drafted Losman for a reason. He'll play soon.