My favorite topic: Gay Marriage

Clean sweep on the ballots this time around. 3 states approve it--one state rejects a ballot initiative not to ban it.

The Rep spin is that the wins were only possible in Dem-dominated states and there, only by slim margins. But the truth of the issue is that the tide is and will continue to turn. The Republicans, in their regrouping from this ass-kicking presidential loss, might want to rethink how to appeal to the social moderates like me who are fiscally conservative.

I voted for Mitt but with my nose held on issues like this and immigration. The young guns like Rubio and Ryan should go home and rethink their positions for 2016 if they want to have a chance. The Right can either go more liberal on money (spread the wealth) or social issues. One way or another, they can't just retrench and hope for the big turnout. This electorate did not like Obama and he still trounced Romney.

Edited by John Adams

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Republicans need to rethink this long-held contradiction at the core of their party:

They’re all about getting the government out of people’s lives, self-reliance, personal responsibility, freedom, pursuit of happiness, etc... but they can’t keep their nosy, perverted, sexually repressed asses out of people’s bedrooms.

It’s all about the evangelical freak fringe that has hijacked the party’s frontal lobe for way too long. It's disgusting and the vast majority of people don't want anything to do with that crap and they're sick of hearing about it.

The Republicans need to rethink this long-held contradiction at the core of their party:

They’re all about getting the government out of people’s lives, self-reliance, personal responsibility, freedom, pursuit of happiness, etc... but they can’t keep their nosy, perverted, sexually repressed asses out of people’s bedrooms.

It’s all about the evangelical freak fringe that has hijacked the party’s frontal lobe for way too long. It's disgusting and the vast majority of people don't want anything to do with that crap and they're sick of hearing about it.

IT hasn't been that long since this hijacking. Reagan is the cause of this woe. He created the big tent and turned the Dem South into Republican-lovers. It was a savvy political move to join the evangelical right to the conservative movement--creating a voting bloc to combat the left. But it's an uneasy union and now just plain can't win.

It worked for Bush Jr., but the right definitely has an identity crisis.

Edited by John Adams

Clean sweep on the ballots this time around. 3 states approve it--one state rejects a ballot initiative not to ban it.

The Rep spin is that the wins were only possible in Dem-dominated states and there, only by slim margins. But the truth of the issue is that the tide is and will continue to turn. The Republicans, in their regrouping from this ass-kicking presidential loss, might want to rethink how to appeal to the social moderates like me who are fiscally conservative.

1. If Romney couldn't make it out of the primaries doing that, I'm not sure that person exists.

I voted for Mitt but with my nose held on issues like this and immigration. The young guns like Rubio and Ryan should go home and rethink their positions for 2016 if they want to have a chance.

2. How on earth can they reconcile changes like that with what's on the record?

As I wrote in another thread, I think, given what we've seen of the early demographics and trends, the best shot Republicans have in 2016 is Susana Martinez.

I try try to avoid the topic of gay marriage. But how can you be against happiness?

The 2nd to last time it came up and I spoke about it I was challenged by a board member here to meet and fight because they lived in NC hahaha

1. If Romney couldn't make it out of the primaries doing that, I'm not sure that person exists.

2. How on earth can they reconcile changes like that with what's on the record?

As I wrote in another thread, I think, given what we've seen of the early demographics and trends, the best shot Republicans have in 2016 is Susana Martinez.

Well, I think Rubio could shift his immigration stance and build one hell of a groundswell. He's got a lot of charisma and is a bright guy. I doubt he'd move on social issues but if he ran like Romney and just kept them in the background, I could see him doing it. But he'd have to come around some.

Ryan might be the wrong "other guy" but we are a long ways out. Christie is not a contender, I wouldn't think. Way too Northeastern. I don't see his appeal on a national stage.

Then you and the democrat owned media should shut the "f" up about it and quit trying to define conservatives this way. It's the equivalent of me claiming all of you libs should quit the various "occupy" movements and stop schitting on cars.

Let me just add that as a Republican, I do support civil unions/gay marriage/whatever states want to call it.

I think my party is on the wrong side of this, at least from a legal and constitutional standpoint because of the 14th amendment (equal protection), and hardly less so because the demographics say that this is going to happen. We should be on the right side of this, but there's a particular Crazy Baptist Minister set in the party that wants to impose this religious doctrine to the bitter end.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to like it. People can still personally think it's immoral. But we live in a country that was grounded in legal freedom and live'n'let-die even for things we don't agree with.

It's going to be a heck of a thing to try to move on from, tho. And it has the capacity to off-the-top alienate 10% of the electorate.

Then you and the democrat owned media should shut the "f" up about it and quit trying to define conservatives this way. It's the equivalent of me claiming all of you libs should quit the various "occupy" movements and stop schitting on cars.

If conservatives don't want others defing them, all they simply have to do is prove those definitions wrong.

You're missing the point. The fact is conservatives HAVE been defined this way in the public's mind and will continue to be defined this way until they do something to alter people's perceptions. And it's their own fault. The main reason I stopped registering as a Republican several years ago is because they decided to define the party on idiotic social issues -- on which they are almost always wrong anyway -- instead of critical fiscal issues.

Social change doesn't come about because of politicians, it comes about from the evolution of the public's mindset. Smart politicians just recognize that happening and jump in at the right time -- exactly what Obama did on gay marriage. The battle over public recognition of homosexuals as regular, normal people has been going on for years. 'Philadelphia' won an Oscar 20 years ago. Ellen came out of the closet 15 years ago. The change in the public mindset and attitude toward homosexuals has happened -- it's over (which means it's time for the smart politicians to jump on board). All that left now is the easy part; passing the laws like we saw last night to codify certain rights like gay marriage. The only people remaining 'against' gay marriage/civil unions are going to be labeled as ignorant bigots and are going to be a minority of the public. Sure that's going to carry certain states, but it's no longer going to carry the country.

Politicians and their supporters who can't wrap their heads around the changes that have taken place in the public's mindset on social issues are going to have a very difficult time appealing to a broad section of the country. As long as the GOP continues to hang their hat on being anti-gay right and anti-abortion (which is even more ludicrous as that issue was settled in the public's mind decades ago), they are going to continue to lag the Democrats nationally.

The economy is probably going to be in better shape 4 years from now than it is today, so you tell me how a GOP candidate is going to win the WH in 2016 without a major shift in social ideology. I don't see it happening.