A message for Johnson or Paul supporters...

Oxrock

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Conservatives and libertarians don't be discouraged by moderate Mitt just vote for him anyway; Libya was Obama killing Americans and Obam/Romneycare is evil...just vote Mitt"

hehe....either way though I do agree that if you are in a swing state and dislike Obama it will be stupid to vote Johnson

EDIT: Although it is stupid to suggest any meaningful primary action against a President Romney in 2016 would mean anything and honestly on principle alone for those that truly do believe in Johnson they should just vote for him...two sides of this coin

Edited by TheNewBills

Wasn't she just arrested? I may not agree with her politics but at least she stands for what she believes in.

I'm libertarian, but will have a hard time pulling the lever for Johnson who is a libertarian by name only.

What is the main libertarian argument against Johnson?

I've come to the same conclusion. I would rather vote for Gary Johnson but I live in Virginia, so I'll suck it up and take one for America

We thank you for your service. :D

But, think of it this way: which candidate is more likely to keep the Bernanke printing presses moving? (That appears to be your #1 issue). Well then, you are indirectly putting a stop to Bernanke...if you vote for Romney..

I don't know if it's one specific reason. Johnson is a republican who shares some libertarian views but I'll try to point out a few differences.

Foreign Policy: Libertarians believe in removing troops from the middle east, stop trying to influence foreign governments, and end foreign aid.. Johnson has stated that we should leave military bases in the Middle East and said he would continue drone strikes in Pakistan. He also supports humanitarian missions by US forces.

Welfare reform: Libertarians believe in ending "the war on poverty" and replace government welfare with private charity. .Johnson has stated he would not end welfare. (although recently he has changed his stance to limiting welfare)

Antitrust law: Most Libertarians are against the antitrust law. Johnson brought an antitrust suit in an attempt to get into the debates.

OMG! I had no idea! What sane libertarian would possibly vote for this Stalinist when you have such Randian acolytes as Mitt Romney, Barack Obama, or Jill Stein to choose from?!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if Republicans wanted my vote, they shouldn't have worked so hard to marginalize my positions and my candidate. I will not, under any circumstances cast my vote for the second worst choice on the ballot, nor do I feel the slightest moral compunction to do so. In fact, I would rather see Barack Obama win a second term then lend my support to Mitt Romney, as the Republican Party will never incorporate true conservatism into their platform as long as true conservatives keep putting them into office without forcing them to adopt libertarianesque policy.

A long enough string of real losses may just convince them, and if not, so be it. I've made my contingency plans for expatriation. The Republican Party needs my vote far more than I need them, and it's long past time they learn it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if Republicans wanted my vote, they shouldn't have worked so hard to marginalize my positions and my candidate. I will not, under any circumstances cast my vote for the second worst choice on the ballot, nor do I feel the slightest moral compunction to do so. In fact, I would rather see Barack Obama win a second term then lend my support to Mitt Romney, as the Republican Party will never incorporate true conservatism into their platform as long as true conservatives keep putting them into office without forcing them to adopt libertarianesque policy.

A long enough string of real losses may just convince them, and if not, so be it. I've made my contingency plans for expatriation. The Republican Party needs my vote far more than I need them, and it's long past time they learn it.

And we wonder why "Congress is divided", "politicians can't get anything done"...and all the rest. It's actually our fault, not theirs. We are the ones who think that we can have everything our way, and that it will actually work.

If we demand that everything goes our way, all the time, there's no way we will ever be happy, because it mostly won't. And, even in cases where everything does go our way...for example, in 2009 and 2010, there's a good chance major Fups will occur, liberals controlled government completely, and got blown out completely in 2010.

Look at what happened in 2005. Too many years of one party being in charge led to complacency + bad leadership = scandal after scandal and no big work getting done = lose. Things don't get more "true conservative" than Tom Delay, so I don't know what else you were hoping for then.

However, I think you would agree: 1994-2000 = the most libertarian 6 years we've ever had. Right?

I would argue that the more pragmatic the people in charge are, regardless of the ideology they are supposed to support...the more likely the results they produce end up being more in line with libertarian thinking, and less in line with liberal thinking.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

As I said, Republicans need me more than I need them. They'll either become something that represents me, or they'll become irrelevant and disappear, and I'll take the rest of my assets out of country and watch it burn.

Listen to yourself. Your way or the Republicans will become irrelevant and disappear? So doing things your way is their only salvation?

Listen to yourself. Your way or the Republicans will become irrelevant and disappear? So doing things your way is their only salvation?

It's the only way they capture the libertarian vote with they will need to fend off the growing entitlement culture, so yes. As I said, they need me more than I need them.

It's the only way they capture the libertarian vote with they will need to fend off the growing entitlement culture, so yes. As I said, they need me more than I need them.

I see. Yeah...in those terms, you are right.

The question is whether the entitlement culture is real, and how real. Or, if it is as rigidly defined as some say.

However, you would agree that denying your vote to people who are more likely to support your ideas, than those who have no chance of doing that, isn't going to do anything to curtail the entitlement culture, right?

It's seems you are setting up a chicken/egg scenario: you will support people that move to you, but, if they have enough support to move to where you are, and can win elections, and do the things that you want, doesn't that mean they've reached a point where they don't really need you?

Principaled libertarians can't do anything to curtail the growth of the entitlement culture. It will continue unabated no matter who holds office. What we can do is force a political shift by holding the Republican Party hostage.

2 things:

I just remembered that it is your sig that has teh quote I've been using in meetings for the past 2 weeks...to the point of annoyance I am sure.

And, do you see that the opposite outcome is just as likely: holding the Republicans hostage causes a shift the other way?

The bottom line is: the TEA party would not exist, nor would it need to, had Obama acted like Clinton. We get what we give.

A note to a stiff-necked people

By David Mamet

To those Jews planning to vote for Obama:

Are you prepared to explain to your children not the principles upon which your vote is cast, but its probable effects upon them?

Irrespective of your endorsement of liberal sentiments, of fairness and “more equal distribution,” will you explain to your children that top-down economic policies will increasingly limit their ability to find challenging and well-paid work, and that the diminution in employment and income will decrease their opportunity to marry and raise children?

Will you explain (as you have observed) that a large part of their incomes will be used to fund programs that they may find immoral, wasteful and/or indeed absurd? And that the bulk of their taxes go to no programs at all, but merely service the debt you entailed on them?

Will you tell your children that a liberal government will increasingly marginalize, dismiss and weaken the support for and the safety of the Jewish state?

Will you tell them that, in a state-run economy, hard work may still be applauded, but that it will no longer be rewarded?

Will you explain that whatever their personal beliefs, tax-funded institutions will require them to imbibe and repeat the slogans of the left, and that, should they differ, they cannot have a career in education, medicine or television unless they keep their mouths shut?

Will you explain to them that it is impossible to make a budget, and that the basic arithmetic we all use at the kitchen table is not practiced at the federal and state level, and to suggest that it should be is “selfishness?”

Most importantly, will you teach them never to question the pronouncements of those in power, for to do so is to risk ostracism?

Are you prepared to sit your children down and talk them through your vote on the future you are choosing for them?

Please remember that we have the secret ballot and, should you, on reflection, vote in secret for a candidate you would not endorse in public, you will not be alone.

http://www.jewishjournal.com/opinion/article/the_final_obama_romney_showdown_a_note_to_a_stiff_necked_people

As you stand next Tuesday, your descendants will judge you. Think carefully.