Counterfeiters are getting krafty....

Just Jack

I do not want to gross anyone out, but stuff like this happens ALL the time. Restaurants use tricks like this, have a pretty bottle of something (syrup, mustard, ketchup, etc) and just fill it with generics at the end of the day.

The vegetables and all products raised on farms across the country are not the problem. Yet, the keyword used is "factory farming." The problem is that there is no such thing. There is only factory processing and handling. We are never lied to with the source of our food, only the path it takes. It upsets me to see this type of story making news.

This stuff is counterfeit, not generic. The generics are the products that were not as high grade as the brand name stuff. All generic and off label jelly is made by Welch's. All the local pop brands are made in the same place. My dad worked in a supermarket warehouse and they would occasionally get loads of the other store's pop by mistake.

Another interesting tidbit - Campbells Soup is packaged as soon as the contents aresterilized in the can. They used to come by boxcar and when my dad had to unload them by hand as the low guy, he didn't mind it as it was nice and tasty in the boxcar in the middle of the winter. The cases in the middle were still hot.

Edited by Wacka

So the counterfeiters were taking regular Heinz ketchup that is made with high fructose corn syrup and putting it in bottles that made it look like their ketchup that is supposed to be made with cane sugar instead? How much is the markup for cane sugar versus hfcs that this would be worth it?

I do not want to gross anyone out, but stuff like this happens ALL the time. Restaurants use tricks like this, have a pretty bottle of something (syrup, mustard, ketchup, etc) and just fill it with generics at the end of the day.

The vegetables and all products raised on farms across the country are not the problem. Yet, the keyword used is "factory farming." The problem is that there is no such thing. There is only factory processing and handling. We are never lied to with the source of our food, only the path it takes. It upsets me to see this type of story making news.

This reminds me of the thread about Chinese restaurants. :sick: