SU Hoops 2012 edition...

The Poojer

Hearing rumors that Southerland will be eligible for the St. John's game on 2/10.

It's common knowledge that his case will be heard by the appeals board prior to the St. John's game. Did you hear any more "substantial" rumors than what we already know? My "source" on campus told me today that they know nothing at this point.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game..grant needs to learn more body control then he will be awesome... do we really think MCW is gone after this year? He's a great player but still needs work on consistency

Wonderful win against notre dame.

Makes you wonder-- why do these guys not feed Christmas in the post more. He can hit a 10-ft jump shot, or put ball on the ground, or pass well. Offense would run more smoothly going inside out.

How about grant? This kid is gone after next year.

Makes you wonder-- why do these guys not feed Christmas in the post more. He can hit a 10-ft jump shot, or put ball on the ground, or pass well. Offense would run more smoothly going inside out.

Great game..grant needs to learn more body control then he will be awesome... do we really think MCW is gone after this year? He's a great player but still needs work on consistency

I personally don't think MCW has a good enough handle to play point or a good enough shot to play off the ball and be a great player in the NBA. But when everyone assumes a guy is leaving he pretty much always leaves.

No way Grant isn't back next year imo.

Christmas definitely looks like a guy that was created in a lab to play PF/C but just doesn't seem to bring it a lot of nights. He did only average 11pts in HS I think so maybe last night was a fluke; but it's good to know he's capable of bringing some offense I guess.

Hope the McDonough/Bilas/Raftery crew migrates to the ACC next year. I could watch a Wake Forest-Va Tech game if they're on the mic.

I agree on the trio of announcers...bilas isn't afraid to say what he's thinking...rafferty is an entertaining version of vitale, and mcdonough just sits there and plays the straight man...they are a good team

I personally don't think MCW has a good enough handle to play point or a good enough shot to play off the ball and be a great player in the NBA. But when everyone assumes a guy is leaving he pretty much always leaves.

No way Grant isn't back next year imo.

Christmas definitely looks like a guy that was created in a lab to play PF/C but just doesn't seem to bring it a lot of nights. He did only average 11pts in HS I think so maybe last night was a fluke; but it's good to know he's capable of bringing some offense I guess.

Hope the McDonough/Bilas/Raftery crew migrates to the ACC next year. I could watch a Wake Forest-Va Tech game if they're on the mic.

Great win....which leaves me wondering...why don't they play like this all the time? You mentioned Rak being more involved in the gameplan this time around, and showing that he is more than just a big body in the middle. He's no Arinze, but the kid does have some moves down low and can shoot. I'm tired of this one-dimensional game planning by Boeheim, and would like to see more of this moving forward. I agree about Grant...he's a goner after next season. The most impressive think about him to me is his poise. He always looks like he belongs out there, and is confident. I like that.

I still really do think MCW will leave after this year. Remember, NBA teams tend to draft on potential. MCW needs to work on his shot, and his handle leaves something to be desired at times, but he is such an explosive playmaker. I think he would be better served playing another year of college ball, but I think the enticement of being a lottery pick (and the $$) will be too much to pass up in the end.

i really think he is playing himself out of a lottery pick...i just don't see it with his play...without the assists he is very pedestrian...we shall see....

I still really do think MCW will leave after this year. Remember, NBA teams tend to draft on potential. MCW needs to work on his shot, and his handle leaves something to be desired at times, but he is such an explosive playmaker. I think he would be better served playing another year of college ball, but I think the enticement of being a lottery pick (and the $$) will be too much to pass up in the end.

Was just telling a friend that Bilas is probably the best color guy in sports. No canned talking points. Useful and spontaneous analysis. Not afraid to rip the refs. He also actually watches a lot of ball, so he knows these teams.

1:00 today....if this was a serious violation, no way would he have been allowed to sit on the bench...i think this is strictly an in-house matter and Boehiem came down with a heavy hand to show the ncaa he doesn't take these things lightly, thereby getting them off his ass....

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/02/the_hearing_for_syracuse_senio.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Boeheim has nothing to do with the suspension....this one came down from the university's academic integrity office. It's pretty much common knowledge now that the "infraction" is related to an academic issue from a prior year (not even the current academic year). Many people think, as I have stated before, that the issue is related to some form of plagarism. Many rumors I have heard suggest that a tutor may have written all or a portion of one of Southy's term papers. Why these charges against him are surfacing just now is beyond me. With regard to him beng allowed to sit on the bench in street clothes....I don't think that's any reflection of the nature or severity of his academic offense. If it were an NCAA violation, and not a university investigation, then I doubt he'd be allowed to sit with the team. I think that's the distinction here.

In any event....I'm crossing my fingers and toes hoping that Southy comes out of this one clean, and is allowed to play on Sunday. His eligibility for Sunday's game may still be in jeopardy even if the "panel" assembled by the academic integrity office upholds his appeal.

didn't a team academic adviser just get canned? i wonder if he/she had some parting shots....

Boeheim has nothing to do with the suspension....this one came down from the university's academic integrity office. It's pretty much common knowledge now that the "infraction" is related to an academic issue from a prior year (not even the current academic year). Many people think, as I have stated before, that the issue is related to some form of plagarism. Many rumors I have heard suggest that a tutor may have written all or a portion of one of Southy's term papers. Why these charges against him are surfacing just now is beyond me. With regard to him beng allowed to sit on the bench in street clothes....I don't think that's any reflection of the nature or severity of his academic offense. If it were an NCAA violation, and not a university investigation, then I doubt he'd be allowed to sit with the team. I think that's the distinction here.

In any event....I'm crossing my fingers and toes hoping that Southy comes out of this one clean, and is allowed to play on Sunday. His eligibility for Sunday's game may still be in jeopardy even if the "panel" assembled by the academic integrity office upholds his appeal.

didn't a team academic adviser just get canned? i wonder if he/she had some parting shots....

I vaguely remember hearing something about this. You never know I guess. If this individual did "let the cat out of the bag," it might be in their best interest to relocate to a remote area of Bolivia.

Hearing began one hour ago....haven't heard anything yet. I'll post if I do.

this just in: If Carmelo never went to cuse, Boheim would STILL never have a championship

thank you for your time

Further proof that all Duke fans are complete a**clowns.

http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/articles/msn/nc_state_tyler_lewis_grandmother_just_died_so_duke_fans_chant_hows_your_grandma/12867799

I read it...I am going to believe what I heard...anyone can claim whatever they want...I don't hate duke and I am not going to start based on these allegations... remember Bernie fine...

Even though several people attending the game (including Duke students) reported hearing the "how's your grandma" chant? Read the entire article Pooj.

I read it...I am going to believe what I heard...anyone can claim whatever they want...I don't hate duke and I am not going to start based on these allegations... remember Bernie fine...

Well I do hate Duke, so I will blindly believe any negative press that surfaces :nana:

"remember Bernie Fine" ??? What does that even mean, and how does that situation relate to this one? WTF?

In November 2011, Bernie Fine was accused on ESPN by two former Syracuse ball boys of sexually abusing them in the 1980s. Local police previously looked into the case and declined to press charges. A similar Syracuse University investigation also found it had no merit.

On Friday, federal authorities dropped the investigation completely after claiming to interviewing 130 witnesses and sorting through 100,000 pages of documents and finding no evidence to support the claims.

Neither Bernie Fine nor anyone else will be charged, the local U.S. Attorney's Office said.

Bernie Fine is a victim.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks