Fitz- The final straw

I hate to say I told ya so, but this is pretty much what I have been trumpeting all along. I wish Picks was good, but dammit, he's not. I would love to see this team with a franchise QB. I think we'd be much better, poor defensive efforts notwithstanding. However, I still maintain a bad defense looks worse when your offense turns the ball over or consistently fails to sustain drives.

Regardless, this team will never reach the promised land until we bring in a legit QB.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope never said you're untruthful. What I was leaning towards is your statement and analogy is totally wrong and flawed regarding practice in music. Then using that to compare sports practicing. Apples to oranges. Studying a instrument nothing really changes, it is theory( and yes technique). In sports it does change, evolve, etc. constantly.My skepticism is based on my education, personal and professional experience, of which I won't post on a sometimes hostile anonymous sports board to get skewered.I simply don't care for listing a short resume like you.

Your original post was in regards to practice and music read it again. If you've been published on this topic, I will read it. otherwise like mine it's simply an opinion based on nothing but personal experiences, opinion, and education.

Remember the saying Practice makes perfect? That's what many teachers, players, students live by, for a very long time now. It is a linear function regarding learning and practicing MUSIC IMO. Comparing it too sports is somewhat if not an impossible analogy. I'll stop here because writing a paper on the argument isn't needed on a football forum. That's what it would take.

Organized sports, past high school I'm no expert. So, I cannot speak on with any authority based on my experience. As for music I can, and simply disagree with again your analogy using musical training and practice then comparing it to sports practicing That's what I was pointing out.

If your just using your college experiences then great. If you're now a professional musician, and a professional athlete. Then maybe you're correct and have the experience to correctly make the original analogy, and comparisons. I only have one of the two.

I should have stayed out of this, but I simply find zero correlation between sports and musical practicing. Hey that's me.

Dude, do you play golf?

In every human endeavor I've participated in, I've had long periods where I wasn't improving interspersed with breakthrough moments where something just clicked.

Throwing a football is a mechanical motion like a golf swing. I'll never forget the day I was finally able to exorcise the slice from my 3 iron.

I find it hard to believe that your improvement in life is always at a constant steady rate. I would guess that that's different than most people.

And having played sports and music, I don't find them to be very different at all.

Finally I could name numerous athletes who made "jumps" in their careers as opposed to steady improvement.

But whatever.

Dude, do you play golf?

In every human endeavor I've participated in, I've had long periods where I wasn't improving interspersed with breakthrough moments where something just clicked.

Throwing a football is a mechanical motion like a golf swing. I'll never forget the day I was finally able to exorcise the slice from my 3 iron.

I find it hard to believe that your improvement in life is always at a constant steady rate. I would guess that that's different than most people.

And having played sports and music, I don't find them to be very different at all.

Finally I could name numerous athletes who made "jumps" in their careers as opposed to steady improvement.

But whatever.

My comments were in regard to a comparison of music and football practice in your post. Nowhere did i make any comment about "improvements in my life at a steady rate"? Again I was replying to practice and I still maintain I'm correct. Improvement is a linear function with practice in music, that includes professional, college, conservatory, whatever type of skilled qualified training. Unless you're referring to a kid doodling with a guitar in a room with zero musical training. Then yea sometimes some huge leaps are made. I do not believe you meant that, in fact I'm sure of it.

I notice an uncanny ability to dodge the topic you're being challenged on, then reply with more gibberish to deflect criticism. I predict a solid career in politics for you, if you want it. I should not have challenged. In hindsight it was foolish, and a waste of time for both of us . But, because some of your poor analogy just happens to involve something I'm very close to in my life I did.

But, like you say. Whatever.

I notice an uncanny ability to dodge the topic you're being challenged on, then reply with more gibberish to deflect criticism. I predict a solid career in politics for you, if you want it.

Thanks for the compliments. People who know me typically accuse me of being too blunt… but your observations have been way off so far so no big surprise.

And politics?

My career in commercial construction is working out just fine, thanks.

I still say a QB is only as good as the OC / HC utilizing him. Look at what happened to a known top talent in Phillip Rivers when he is forced to shoulder the entire offense with inferior players around him.

I look at Fitz and have to think that Gailey needs to stop forcing him to shoulder the entire load, the Bills have 2 top RB's and they need to run the ball more. Every game the Bills need to have more attempts rushing then throwing, and they will win more games. Take the ball out of the back up QB and give it to the play makers in Spiller and Jackson.

My comments were in regard to a comparison of music and football practice in your post. Nowhere did i make any comment about "improvements in my life at a steady rate"? Again I was replying to practice and I still maintain I'm correct. Improvement is a linear function with practice in music, that includes professional, college, conservatory, whatever type of skilled qualified training. Unless you're referring to a kid doodling with a guitar in a room with zero musical training. Then yea sometimes some huge leaps are made. I do not believe you meant that, in fact I'm sure of it.

I notice an uncanny ability to dodge the topic you're being challenged on, then reply with more gibberish to deflect criticism. I predict a solid career in politics for you, if you want it. I should not have challenged. In hindsight it was foolish, and a waste of time for both of us . But, because some of your poor analogy just happens to involve something I'm very close to in my life I did.

But, like you say. Whatever.

I think there are all kinds of things in all kinds of fields where learning is not linear at all. Tons of everyday things are like that, like when you try to teach an older person how to use a computer. They struggle they struggle they struggle they get a little they struggle and then all of a sudden the light goes on and they get it and it jumps from a 4 to a 9 virtually overnight. I'm in the writing business and there are a lot of writers who don't understand a certain element or concept and they work on it and barely improve and barely improve and just don't get it and then one day, bam, they get it and it's a quantum leap.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I think there are all kinds of things in all kinds of fields where learning is not linear at all. Tons of everyday things are like that, like when you try to teach an older person how to use a computer. They struggle they struggle they struggle they get a little they struggle and then all of a sudden the light goes on and they get it and it jumps from a 4 to a 9 virtually overnight. I'm in the writing business and there are a lot of writers who don't understand a certain element or concept and they work on it and barely improve and barely improve and just don't get it and then one day, bam, they get it and it's a quantum leap.

Can't argue with that. Including your examples, I saw it with myself and my kids constantly.

Great win. Still not elite, we know this.

What we need to do i think...

improve / Keep defense playing well

Not make stupid play calls like throwing a bomb instead of running down the clock and playing defense. I've always been 100% behind coaching and the sometimes gutsy calls, but there were a few in this came you just can make.

Run defense is still horrible. Why do we suck so badly against the run. Opposite RBs are getting 7-8 yards every time they touched the ball. Why can't we play run-defense like we did against Charles (Chiefs) and Richardson (Browns). Stopping the run is an attitude and it sets the tone for the defense.

Run defense is still horrible. Why do we suck so badly against the run. Opposite RBs are getting 7-8 yards every time they touched the ball. Why can't we play run-defense like we did against Charles (Chiefs) and Richardson (Browns). Stopping the run is an attitude and it sets the tone for the defense.

Because the Bills' LB's still suck out loud - just as they did last season. Since then we have one new player - a 4th rounder Bradham.

LB's set your tone on defense and do the most to stop the run - there is only so much the DL can do, particularly on outside runs.

I don't have a problem with the off-season decisions, although we are kind of seeing a counterintuitive consequence of switching to a 4-3:

Theoretically, a 4-3 uses one less LB than a 3-4 does, but having acquired Mario and Anderson, we actually ended up using a LB we wouldn't have to in a 3-4. In a 3-4 Mario Williams and Mark Anderson would have been the two starting OLB's and we'd only need 2 of Barnett/Sheppard/Bradham on the field in a base defense. Marcell, Kyle, and maybe Carrington or Spencer Johnson would be the 3rd DL? Playing a 4-3 probably helped sign MW and MA though.

Edited by BobChalmers

I came to the end of my rope today with Fitz.

The final straw came at the end when Fred Jackson was wide open

for 5-10 yards and maybe a first down.

It at least would have put us in a manageable field goal position.

Perfect protection...He bounces it.

Thiggy would have hit Fred in stride.

Make the change to Jackson during the bye,

Looks like Fitz has had it.

Thiggy would have hit Fred in stride. What are you talking about. Have you been to practice to see this firsthand. It was a terrible throw and he has played poorly but you have no proof or evidence that 'Thiggy' would have made it.

Can't argue with that. Including your examples, I saw it with myself and my kids constantly.

Oh I see.

Music can be compared to many fields of endeavor but not sports.

Gotcha.

And you could have been a lot more to the point and less confusing had you simply said, "IMO as a musician, music and sports are different in terms of practice and its effects on learning."

It would still be a weak point but at least it would have been understandable instead of all of the mind-numbingly inefficient and unclear paragraphs that you wrote (replete with insults and extreme skepticism of my involvement in music).

Nice filibuster.

Oh I see.

Music can be compared to many fields of endeavor but not sports.

Gotcha.

And you could have been a lot more to the point and less confusing had you simply said, "IMO as a musician, music and sports are different in terms of practice and its effects on learning."

It would still be a weak point but at least it would have been understandable instead of all of the mind-numbingly inefficient and unclear paragraphs that you wrote (replete with insults and extreme skepticism of my involvement in music).

Nice filibuster.

For someone who went to college? You really miss the issue I had with a statement. Again, you are now attacking me on multiple threads NON STOP. PM me your mailing address and I'll send some flowers if it will help. I don't know what else to say. I insulted you? Who are you? I disagree with your use of the words regards linear learning curves in relation to practice in music.Nothing more. I have no reason to "insult" you. What's your problem? As for you wanting an apology. Sorry man It's a Bills football forum not a doctoral thesis issue, or family matter. Maybe someone is taking this stuff a wee bit too serious? For me it's simply entertainment.

But if it helps cool your jets? I'm sorry. For what I don't know. But I'm sure it's all me, just like the last guy was all him. Your post count is high so obviously you're smart. Don't forget to use ignore.

I wonder just what qualifies you to make such statements regarding of all things musicians? you are sadly mistaken especially in regards to " in other words, improvement is not always linear and not always in direct proportion to how much you practice". What are ya talking about here learning to tune a Bassoon? Surely, you're not speaking of improvement involving a professional musician or artist for that matter in regards to practice?

But, I would love to hear your "source" or experience to back this. Or maybe admit you took a little too much "artistic license" to post that as fact.

I notice an uncanny ability to dodge the topic you're being challenged on, then reply with more gibberish to deflect criticism. I predict a solid career in politics for you, if you want it.

I'm sorry.

See. Now you can teach your kids that when you question someone's veracity and then insult them, that it's alright to apologize afterwards.

Good job.