Does Wannstedt need to get out of the booth and onto the field?

folz

With all of the recent talk about leadership and mental toughness...

Who's rallying the defense on the sideline during games?...

The defensive captains are Kyle Williams and George Wilson. By definition and default, they are the ones that HAVE to rally the D on the sidelines. Doesn't mean others can't step up, they need to. But it starts with those two. And I don't think either has the type of personality you're describing. Nor do I think a Ray Lewis type is the answer for every team, necessarily. Regardless though, that defense quit last Sunday largely due to the ineffectiveness of their defensive captains and their failure to stem the tide and make a play.

When your D captains are getting their asses handed to them, it's a hard sell on the sidelines. Total lack of credibility.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Every team gets the aerial shots of the schemes after each drive. The qb is handed a bunch of photos and that is what he is seeing - the defensive alignment. Also I wouldn't discount the effect getting into someone can have. A little bump/motivation/angering of a d that looks at times passionless would be a GREAT thing!

Is Wannaclue the answer? I don't know. Is it all Wannaclue's fault? I don't know. As I said the Bills didn't tackle properly during the game.

I can put this 2 ways -

An aerial still shot is but an instant in time

Aerial shots are provided because you can't see everything from the field.

Who's rallying the defense on the sideline during games?

With so many young guys (Shep, A. Williams, Gilmore), humble guys (K. Williams), quiet/reserved guys (M. Williams, Dareus), etc.

who is rallying the D? We don't have a Ray Lewis type-player. And Gailey is more focused on the offensive-side of things.

So, is there a coach on the sidelines who can pull the D together or do the players just go to their position coaches?

Being in the booth didn't help the Stache come up with an answer for what New England was doing last week.

It didn't seem to help him make the proper adjustments. So, why is he there? I know in the past (with other teams),

I've seen him somewhat animated on the sidelines...he's not a Rex Ryan or whomever, but maybe being more

interactive with the players on Sunday---congratulating them when they do well and pulling them together when

things aren't going right, just being in the middle of the action, maybe that would help with the leadership issue somewhat,

at least on the defense.

So, should Dave get out of the booth and onto the field on Sundays?

Can he find the stairs down to the field with is head up his a&*?

Maybe he cannot see from up there. Maybe he has bad long distance vision. Maybe he cannot read the names and numbers of his defensive players. Maybe he could not tell if it was the Jets or NE we were playing. Maybe maybe maybe maybe..................

Maybe he still thinks George Edwards is directing traffic on the sidelines, and that he is still in advisory capacity.

who cares if wanny coaches from the international space station. mario needs to get to the QB and the LB's need to make plays.

i really don't thinnk it matters. it comes down to players executing imo.

I think upper management should give Wandstat a kick in the ass so he is motivated to kick his players in the ass and make them earn their lofty pay

I wonder if being in the booth is leaving him too dissociated from the game. If he were down on the field seeing Brady point at Scott and yell "FORTY THREE IS THE MIKE!" followed by ripping off another successful run, or seeing Mario stand up on a play, I wonder if he'd get a better sense of what's really going on. He does get a better view of the field from the booth, but perhaps it allows him to be too theoretical.

I mentioned earlier in the week that the one major advantage that Wanny would have being on the field is seeing the mood and spirit of his players after every possession. If he'd not been so out of touch, maybe he would have seen that the floodgates were opening as the dispiritedness increased.

Then again, even if he'd been on the field to see the spirit slowly being sapped out of his players, who's to say he would have recognized it?

On another point, I see a lot of talk about motivational speeches, "getting in a players face," etc. etc. etc.

The most motivating thing in sports and life is when one knows that their supervisors are super competent and putting them in a position to succeed.

The most demoralizing thing is when one has no faith in their supervisors.

It's like in a prize fight and the bigger fighter is pounding on the smaller fighter and the smaller guy's cornerman is yelling "don't let him hit you!" "Fight harder… don't give up!!!"

Thanks for nothing, Wanny. Thanks for letting your guys get physically demolished and then not sticking up for them either during the beatdown, or afterwards.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Who's rallying the defense on the sideline during games?

With so many young guys (Shep, A. Williams, Gilmore), humble guys (K. Williams), quiet/reserved guys (M. Williams, Dareus), etc.

who is rallying the D? We don't have a Ray Lewis type-player. And Gailey is more focused on the offensive-side of things.

So, is there a coach on the sidelines who can pull the D together or do the players just go to their position coaches?

Being in the booth didn't help the Stache come up with an answer for what New England was doing last week.

It didn't seem to help him make the proper adjustments. So, why is he there? I know in the past (with other teams),

I've seen him somewhat animated on the sidelines...he's not a Rex Ryan or whomever, but maybe being more

interactive with the players on Sunday---congratulating them when they do well and pulling them together when

things aren't going right, just being in the middle of the action, maybe that would help with the leadership issue somewhat,

at least on the defense.

So, should Dave get out of the booth and onto the field on Sundays?

Super Mari 0 is our multi million dollar leader on D...couldn't you tell? He leads by whining about how much his wrist hurts. If he stopped jacking off and started playin football maybe it wouldn't hurt so much.

If he can't see what's going on from the booth or his reaction time is measured in hours to days, then not sure how him being on the field would help anything.

Of course, if you believe the problem is that he is napping on his cot in the booth or that the players need to see his 'stache up real close to play well, then maybe there is something to having him stand up and walk around fiddling with a headset. B-)