1st Debate in Denver Tonight: Thoughts?

dayman

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not worth watching. I know who I'm voting for, and since I live in California, who I vote for doesn't matter. All you'll get from either guy is a bunch of pre-canned comments with a hope of landing some zinger that makes headlines, and even that is useless, as Lloyd Bentsen showed.

It might be fun to take a drink every time Obama says "Let me be clear," but I'm saving myself for the Biden/Ryan debate so I can drink every time Biden says "...and I mean literally, not figuratively..."

Huh....I thought the debate was over,

everything that I read in the media today said the Obama won easily.

According to a recent Washington Post poll, he's ahead by 11 in all swing states. Of course, that poll only included 18 people from all swing states, but still...it's over.

Not worth watching. I know who I'm voting for, and since I live in California, who I vote for doesn't matter. All you'll get from either guy is a bunch of pre-canned comments with a hope of landing some zinger that makes headlines, and even that is useless, as Lloyd Bentsen showed.

It might be fun to take a drink every time Obama says "Let me be clear," but I'm saving myself for the Biden/Ryan debate so I can drink every time Biden says "...and I mean literally, not figuratively..."

Well...most of what you said is true. That said, for someone who spends time on PPP I would think it would be worth watching anyway.

Well...most of what you said is true. That said, for someone who spends time on PPP I would think it would be worth watching anyway.

I spend time here because I'm at a desk all day and it passes time while I'm on conference calls, waiting for data to come in for proposals, etc. I used to spend most of my time at TBD, but it's so flooded with craziness that I find my Bills talk elsewhere, where I don't have to filter my way through people who think cutting Brian Moorman was the biggest mistake made in the past 10 years.

There is nothing new I'll learn tonight, and short of finding out Mitt Romney raped the dog before putting him on the roof, we both know where I stand. So we're going out to a favorite restaurant with friends.

I suppose that's true if your the sort of person who believes politics are more important than policy, and that electability is more important than leadership.

Presidential "debates" aren't debates. They are a scripted pop culture quiz show where all the answers are carefully crafted sound bites and the winners are preordained.

I suppose that's true if your the sort of person who believes politics are more important than policy, and that electability is more important than leadership.

Presidential "debates" aren't debates. They are a scripted pop culture quiz show where all the answers are carefully crafted sound bites and the winners are preordained.

Blah blah. No **** the debates are pivot exercises and boilerplate stump repackaging. But they do provide some interesting responses regarding policy also. And in any event, if you are "the sort of person" who is interested in seeing a significant event in the Presidential race, you would be interested to watch tonight.

In any event, I'm not here to defend the debates as some great thing. But tonight could be interesting.

Edited by TheNewBills

Yeah, it caused my normal 5 minute drive home to be 1/2 a !@#$ing hour.....

Expecting..... hmmm....

- repeating the same BS posters of here on this board have discussed for years...

- media rushing to give their expert analysis, which will turn out to be mostly bull **** garbage passed off as expertise

- Fox News will declared Romney slam dunked it

- MSNBC will call the election tonight for Obama

Frankly, I find it less interesting than the conventions.... but whats sad, it MOST voters have not seen anything or know almost nothing about these two guys, their positions or policy proposals....

I'm just curious in seeing these two in the same room together. It's amazing how they spend millions of dollars attacking each other through their representatives but never actually exchange dialog.

I saw a story that said they've met personally 3 times...all briefly...as in a minute or two max. Handshake and how do you do and move on.

We rarely agree, but this is well summed up....

Maybe not pre-ordained...but not particularly relevant.

Caught a great bit of stupidity on CNN the other night, where some yahoo was arguing that moderators, in this wikipedia day and age, should also act as fact-checkers during the debates, so when Romney contradicts himself in the debates they can call him out on it...

Maybe not pre-ordained...but not particularly relevant.

Caught a great bit of stupidity on CNN the other night, where some yahoo was arguing that moderators, in this wikipedia day and age, should also act as fact-checkers during the debates, so when Romney contradicts himself in the debates they can call him out on it...

It would be a good thing for that to happen for both candidates...thing is you would need a amazing moderator respected by all who is smart etc....so it's not possible.

Edited by TheNewBills

what do I expect??

Well, to hear these terms at least once...

The rich can afford to pay more

Everyone needs to pay their fair share

The more fortunate.....

go back to Clinton tax rates

Warren Buffet and his secretary....again...

I inherited....

Millionaires

Billionaires

It would be a good thing for that to happen for both candidates...thing is you would need a amazing moderator respected by all who is smart etc....so it's not possible.

Not since Tim Graham died. And arguably, that's the role of the debaters themselves.

But the funny thing was that the idiot on CNN was very specific about how it should be applied only to Romney. :wacko: It was Monday, after MNF (I was flipping channels and caught it), so only maybe eight people were watching...which I'm sure is why they had this guy slotted then. Still funny.

what do I expect??

Well, to hear these terms at least once...

The rich can afford to pay more

Everyone needs to pay their fair share

The more fortunate.....

go back to Clinton tax rates

Warren Buffet and his secretary....again...

I inherited....

Millionaires

Billionaires

You forgot that the tax policy centers take on Mitts stated policy. That will probably come up 3 times

OMG did you see that handshake! Debate over!