Dexter is baaaaack

Clippers of Nfl

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yours and other fans around the web - nothing personal.

If the writers could have pulled off a 3-episode arc where Deb puts together the details from the first 6 seasons, it might have been interesting. I just don't trust them to do that given what we saw for most of season 6. Knowing what we do, watching Deb catch up would have been a bunch of "OMG" faces from Deb as she pieced together ITK, BHB, & "who killed Jordan Chase? - oh and the guy in the warehouse with Dan the Dentist was covered in plastic, too" Pushing us to "Deb knows - let's go from here" is more expedient for them and they probably went down the lane of rolling it slowly and weren't able to work it out to a satisfactory result. I'm just guessing.

For me, the most positive thing to come out of S7E01 was that Jennifer Carpenter's overly emotional acting worked very well in the opening scene. Never thought that would happen. Also good to see Jason Gedrick after "Luck" was cancelled. I really liked that show.

Watched it again and the stripper that Quinn interviews (the one that says in perfect English "I don't speak English") also had one of those bracelets on just like the girl in the car. Is Titus Pullo going to have to go deep-sea diving?

FWIW I enjoyed season 6 it seems I am alone on that one. Totally agree with you on Gedrick, him and his crew were great characters it's a shame they pulled the plug on luck

Actual begining

Wow see ya in 3 weeks. That's a lotta show. I think I blew thru the first 3 seasons rapid fire as I was late to hop on the dexter train as well.

First two seasons are really a fun ride. Love Dokes!

The Doaks storyline was the best they ever had on the show, IMO.

I thought the first two episodes of this new season were pretty good...but then the third episode came along, and, in what has become typical "Dexter" fashion, all tension is eliminated from the show...no spoilers...but the writers just can't sustain any suspense.

For not having seen anything but half of the first season, I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying the show this season. Im sure if I knew more of the back story it would be even better, but so far it's holding my interest and I look forward to the next offering.

The Doaks storyline was the best they ever had on the show, IMO.

I thought the first two episodes of this new season were pretty good...but then the third episode came along, and, in what has become typical "Dexter" fashion, all tension is eliminated from the show...no spoilers...but the writers just can't sustain any suspense.

There's some chatter going around about Doakes:

On IMDb the title for the season 7 finale was originally "Lethal Injection" but has been changed to 7.12. Word is the actual name of the episode is "Surprise Motherfu&*er". This is the line Doakes used in season 1 when he followed Dexter to the shipyard when everyone was looking for Deb (who had been abducted by Ice Truck Killer / Dexter's brother Brian/Rudy. The IMDb page for 7.12 has Eric King listed in the credits. I'm pretty sure this will be either a flashback or a Harry-like figment of Dexter's imagination. I believe they had found Doakes' charred body in the aftermath of Lila's intentional torching of Santos Jimenez's Everglades Shangri-La.

I could have used a little more "Louis vs. Dexter", too. I'm thinking that Hanna will proved to have had more to do with the spree killings than we're currently being told. Another thing... I think Calista Flockhart was mentioned to be in this season but I don't see anything at IMDb. Was she Kaja, the stripper that Viktor killed? I'm sure an actress like her would want to, y'know, actually have some speaking parts - right? Maybe we see her in another flash-back?

Trivia: Desmond Harrington (Joey Quinn) is one of the young brokers in the Ben Affleck scenes in "Boiler Room" where he's talking to the young brokers. He's probably 22-23 at the time.

I got weathered in my tent on a recent hunting trip to Alaska and read the FIRST Dexter book and now I am hooked! Have been watching them everynight. They are so addicting my girlfriend thinks I am a freak!

Edited by Buffalo 66

• 2 weeks later...

More progress in this episode:

• Dexter being more Dex-like with his lizard-brain skills of knowing Isaak was in his apartment and Hanna was lying.
  • Isaak is now behind bars - but for how long?
  • Deb saves Dex this time by getting that photo of him at the wedding (that was the exact face I have while doing the Hokey Pokey).
  • Quinn being Quinn.
  • LaGuerta not letting go of that BHB bone.
  • Deb channeling her own LaGuerta when she shut down Batista's doubts about bartender Alex's being responsible for Mike Anderson's murder just like when Deb was trying to re-open the "Barrel Girls" case in season 5.

The "Deb is in love with Dexter" theme was still there when they were in the roach motel hiding from Isaak. The biggest plot hole I had with this episode was "Who lives in Miami but goes to Myrtle Beach for vacation?" :)

Are all of the seasons this good? I still remain surprised how much I'm enjoying this season, even without really knowing much about the show previously. I look forward to it every Sunday.

Are all of the seasons this good? I still remain surprised how much I'm enjoying this season, even without really knowing much about the show previously. I look forward to it every Sunday.

It's subjective, but the consensus is that Season 4 with John Lithgow as the "Trinity Killer" is the best. I agree but Season 2 is quite good IMHO. I like them all (especially Season 5 with Julia Stiles) but I'm also with the masses that last season (Season 6) was probably the worst. It felt like the writers had gotten lazy and fell into what had become the "Dexter Big Bad" trope. Such a shame with great actors like Edward James Olmos & Colin Hanks. But like I had said before - at least it got us to the point where they had to blow everything up and have Deb know the true Dexter.

It's subjective, but the consensus is that Season 4 with John Lithgow as the "Trinity Killer" is the best. I agree but Season 2 is quite good IMHO. I like them all (especially Season 5 with Julia Stiles) but I'm also with the masses that last season (Season 6) was probably the worst. It felt like the writers had gotten lazy and fell into what had become the "Dexter Big Bad" trope. Such a shame with great actors like Edward James Olmos & Colin Hanks. But like I had said before - at least it got us to the point where they had to blow everything up and have Deb know the true Dexter.

Very cool...I thought Dexter was on Netflix streaming, but I guess not....was really considering going back through past seasons since I'm enjoying it so much currently. Might be worth it to rent them or find the DVDs/blurays for cheap.

Very cool...I thought Dexter was on Netflix streaming, but I guess not....was really considering going back through past seasons since I'm enjoying it so much currently. Might be worth it to rent them or find the DVDs/blurays for cheap.

You should! I would never have thought I'd watch a show like this but I got caught up in it. :lol: The writing is superb! Well worth spending hours catching up.

You should! I would never have thought I'd watch a show like this but I got caught up in it. :lol: The writing is superb! Well worth spending hours catching up.

I don't know why I stopped watching S1 after the first few episodes...it's not that I didn't like them, I think that it just seemed a bit unpalatable to have THAT dark of an element in my system over and over. As much as I love watching shows on DVD at my own pace (i.e. as fast as I want to watch them), this may be the one show where I really think I would have to pace myself lol.

I don't know why I stopped watching S1 after the first few episodes...it's not that I didn't like them, I think that it just seemed a bit unpalatable to have THAT dark of an element in my system over and over. As much as I love watching shows on DVD at my own pace (i.e. as fast as I want to watch them), this may be the one show where I really think I would have to pace myself lol.

Oh yeah. I didn't mean to watch them all in a weekend. Lol there were many times I had to take a week in between episodes cause most of them are kinda dark and I wasn't sure I could keep watching. Lol

I'm the opposite on this, I liked the last season way more then the one with Julia Styles. I liked that they went into the religious aspect with the killer and with Dexter thinking about religion.

I would definitly say that the best season I have seen (I will admit that I haven't seen the first 3 seasons yet, I have them at home after stealing them from my brother) was the trinity Killer season, probably because Lithgow was incredible in that season as the Trinity Killer

This season has been pretty good so far though, its interesting how things are going to play out, I just have this strong feeling that LaGuerta, and maybe others in Miami metro won't make it to the last season............

I'm the opposite on this, I liked the last season way more then the one with Julia Styles. I liked that they went into the religious aspect with the killer and with Dexter thinking about religion.

I would definitly say that the best season I have seen (I will admit that I haven't seen the first 3 seasons yet, I have them at home after stealing them from my brother) was the trinity Killer season, probably because Lithgow was incredible in that season as the Trinity Killer

This season has been pretty good so far though, its interesting how things are going to play out, I just have this strong feeling that LaGuerta, and maybe others in Miami metro won't make it to the last season............

Like I said, it's subjective. I guess if they had reversed the two seasons, fans would have probably hated the "Barrel Girls / Lumen" season more because it would have then been the latest in another round of similar tropes (assuming the DDK finale didn't involved Deb). Hmmm.. imagine Deb barging in on Dexter & Lumen but still with her understanding for the victim of rape/torture needing revenge - now that would be something!

I agree that examining the religious/moral aspect of what Dexter does was long overdue. In season 5 Dexter's nanny Sonya had put the statue of some saint in Harrison's crib, so they started down that road but never really finished. Dexter was probably completely turned off of religion by whatever it was that Travis Marshall was doing.

LaGuerta has never been known for her detective skills and with Deb running interference it's going to be a stretch for her to link anything back to Dexter, right?