Pats Improved Run D---How Stats Lie...

Big Turk

I keep hearing how the Pats run D is much improved only allowing 82 YPG and being ranked 7th. I say stats lie especially early in the year. Here is why.

The Pats have played a team that can't run the ball in Tennessee and another that can't run or pass in Arizona. Against the Ravens, Ray Rice went for 101 yards on 20 carries for an average of over 5 YPC. Last night against Cleveland Rice was held to 49 yards on 18 carries, or 2.7 YPC. This same Cleveland defense was mauled at home by the Bills OLine allowing our 3rd string RB Choice to go for 91 yards on 20 carries. If Spiller had still been in there it might have been closer to 200...they were getting manhandled.

Point is, the Pats stopped 2 teams that are horrible at running. Chris Johnson's best game for the Titans was his 24 yards on 14 carries last week...pathetic.

My prediction is the Bills OLine manhandles the Pats DLine, and we rack up yards regardless of who is in there. Pats defense is not really much improved, merely the beneficiary of having played the two worst running teams in the NFL 2 of the first 3 weeks. When they faced the Ravens, a decent running team, they got slapped around pretty good. The Bills are not a good running team, they are an elite running team. Good luck Pats.

Edited by matter2003

I keep hearing how the Pats run D is much improved only allowing 82 YPG and being ranked 7th. I say stats lie especially early in the year. Here is why.

The Pats have played a team that can't run the ball in Tennessee and another that can't run or pass in Arizona. Against the Ravens, Ray Rice went for 101 yards on 20 carries for an average of over 5 YPC. Last night against Cleveland Rice was held to 49 yards on 18 carries, or 2.7 YPC. This same Cleveland defense was mauled at home by the Bills OLine allowing our 3rd string RB Choice to go for 91 yards on carries. If Spiller had still been in there it might have been closer to 200...they were getting manhandled.

Point is, the Pats stopped 2 teams that are horrible at running. Chris Johnson's best game for the Titans was his 24 yards on 14 carries last week...pathetic.

My prediction is the Bills OLine manhandles the Pats DLine, and we rack up yards regardless of who is in there. Pats defense is not really much improved, merely the beneficiary of having played the two worst running teams in the NFL 2 of the first 3 weeks. When they faced the Raves, a decent running team, they got slapped around pretty good. The Bills are not a good running team, they are an elite running team. Good luck Pats.

If we had Spiller and Freddy we are elite. I worry about their injuries and how effective they can be. That said, Choice is decent back and can move the cahins just fine

I looked at that too and came to the same conclusion. They were able to pretty much eliminate the Titans run game because it was (and is) so week. Against the Ravens they performed worse than the average of the other teams to play against the Ravens this year. The Bills will be a real test for them.

The Pats have played a team that can't run the ball in Tennessee and another that can't run or pass in Arizona. Against the Ravens, Ray Rice went for 101 yards on 20 carries for an average of over 5 YPC. Last night against Cleveland Rice was held to 49 yards on 18 carries, or 2.7 YPC. This same Cleveland defense was mauled at home by the Bills OLine allowing our 3rd string RB Choice to go for 91 yards on 20 carries. If Spiller had still been in there it might have been closer to 200...they were getting manhandled.

My prediction is the Bills OLine manhandles the Pats DLine, and we rack up yards regardless of who is in there. Pats defense is not really much improved, merely the beneficiary of having played the two worst running teams in the NFL 2 of the first 3 weeks. When they faced the Ravens, a decent running team, they got slapped around pretty good. The Bills are not a good running team, they are an elite running team. Good luck Pats.

Not disagreeing withy your analysis, just one point of evidence. I don't think Rice 'held to 49 yards' is an accurate description. He was running ok, and barring interceptions and missed FG's, the Ravens offense looked like it was getting its job done. I think that when it started pouring, the coaches decided to rest Rice most of the second half and put in the rookie Benard Pierce (finished with 48 yards on 6 carries).

Preach it!

I hope your prediction is right. Running the ball takes time off the clock and keeps Brady/Welker/Gronk on the sidelines. It acts as a double-bonus. The most important thing is Fitz to not throw INTs. He has thrown a ton of INTs against the Pats.