NFL Network on Bills D

buffalo1983

I can see the intended theme of this thread so I know I'll get beat up for this but I don't totally disagree with them.

I think that the DL has been excellent against the run. Better than the national media has given them credit for. No on has run it on them in any of the three games except for the Jets in garbage time.

However against the pass they've been average, IMO. I attribute it to these factors:

(1) The Bills don't really have a premier speed pass rusher. Mario is a power guy and Anderson has underwhelmed so far. I would actually say that Kelsay has looked better than Anderson.

(2) Offensive lines are allowed to hold at will. This may change slightly with the new refs, but it has really been a trend for the last few years. I wonder how Wanny's scheme that relies on front four pressure without blitzing will work with holding allowed. He does do a lot of stunting.

(3) Most teams utilize a short passing game these days and when they do go deep and need some extra time they keep 6 or 7 men in to block. Hard to get pressure on quick passes.

The Pats' O-line is easily the worst one the Bills have faced so far. If Mankins is out, it's even worse. Throw-in crowd noise and it's worse still.

I actually think this game is setting up to be Mario's coming out party. The PAT's O Line is not as good as Cleveland's O Line. Dareus not explosive? Wow, I just dont know what the NFLN is watching for highlights then. I feel Dareus is playing really good football.

If the D Line and O Line play like they have the last two weeks, this game has upset special written all over it. I really, really like the Bills chances this weekend.

I can see the intended theme of this thread so I know I'll get beat up for this but I don't totally disagree with them.

I think that the DL has been excellent against the run. Better than the national media has given them credit for. No on has run it on them in any of the three games except for the Jets in garbage time.

However against the pass they've been average, IMO. I attribute it to these factors:

(1) The Bills don't really have a premier speed pass rusher. Mario is a power guy and Anderson has underwhelmed so far. I would actually say that Kelsay has looked better than Anderson.

(2) Offensive lines are allowed to hold at will. This may change slightly with the new refs, but it has really been a trend for the last few years. I wonder how Wanny's scheme that relies on front four pressure without blitzing will work with holding allowed. He does do a lot of stunting.

(3) Most teams utilize a short passing game these days and when they do go deep and need some extra time they keep 6 or 7 men in to block. Hard to get pressure on quick passes.

The D line has 8 of the 9 team sacks with all 8 coming in the last two games. That is dominant play no matter how you slice it and it's why Jamie Dukes made a complete ass of himself. Keeping up that pace would be impossible but it can't be ignored by the opponents.

While Mario isn't a prototypical speed guy, he's got enough of it that OTs need to respect that aspect of his game along with the power rush that he brings. It is why he's been a force the last two games.

GO BILLS!!!

However against the pass they've been average, IMO.

I actually think you're closer than most in this thread. I've been pretty happy with the defense the past two games, but I'm still concerned that they have weaknesses that can be exploited by the better offenses, such as the Pats*.

I do think the defense has been excellent against the run, which has been a sight for sore eyes. I do like how they've shored up against the run.

Against the pass, we seem to live and die by the front four -- if they get some pressure, it usually works out well, but if they don't -- we seem to be very prone to being picked apart. Some of that I attribute to time -- these guys need more games together to get a better feel for each other and to really start getting in a groove. Barring injury, I think they're going to improve as the season wears on. But they still seem to disappear for stretches at a time, and in those instances it seems like teams can move the ball quite easily on long scoring drives.

I'm not the kind to expect perfection on every drive in every game. There will be periods of let down. But to truly become dominating, they have to be more consistent. The potential is there.

In the meantime, if the front four don't put heavy pressure on Brady on every drive, it's going to be a long day.

Edited by Rubes

I know I'll be hit with a prompt "you don't know football" but the truth is we've been good up front but not dominate as the personel suggests we should be

Our D-line has progressed each week thus far. I don't see that trend ending any time soon, as I believe our front 4 has the talent to take over games completely. It takes some time to gel as a unit. I see big things from our D-line this week.

Edited by It's in My Blood