Radar Scare

ajzepp

Driving to work today, I was infuriated with what this one cop was doing on the side of the highway. I'm a very vigilant driver and I have never been the cause of an accident in my life. So I'm driving in the 3rd lane from the right on a 6 lane expressway (85 South for those in Atlanta) just minding my own business, listening to Colin Cowherd on the radio, and getting my day off to a good start. I happen to look over to the right, and the first thing I THINK I'm seeign is someone with a gun and in a shooter's stance getting ready to fire off a shot. In actuality it was some idiot cop with a radar gun. Is there some reason why these people need to be so damn dramatic with the radar checks???? Honestly, I damn near reacted so reflexively that I almost swerved a bit into an adjacent lane. it startled the hell out of me and I was NOT happy to see that it was just a donut eater with a radar gun.

And for the record, I'm respectful and appreciative of the work that the police do 98% of the time. Well, maybe 95%. But this whole production was entirely unneccesary, IMO.

Has anyone else seen this sort of behavior?

Edited by ajzepp

Driving to work today, I was infuriated with what this one cop was doing on the side of the highway. I'm a very vigilant driver and I have never been the cause of an accident in my life. So I'm driving in the 3rd lane from the right on a 6 lane expressway (85 South for those in Atlanta) just minding my own business, listening to Colin Cowherd on the radio, and getting my day off to a good start. I happen to look over to the right, and the first thing I THINK I'm seeign is someone with a gun and in a shooter's stance getting ready to fire off a shot. In actuality it was some idiot cop with a radar gun. Is there some reason why these people need to be so damn dramatic with the radar checks???? Honestly, I damn near reacted so reflexively that I almost swerved a bit into an adjacent lane. it startled the hell out of me and I was NOT happy to see that it was just a donut eater with a radar gun.

And for the record, I'm respectful and appreciative of the work that the police do 98% of the time. Well, maybe 95%. But this whole production was entirely unneccesary, IMO.

Has anyone else seen this sort of behavior?

That's how they do it here in Cali as well.

If it was a direct shot, you're probably sterile. I'll give you a minute to gather yourself.

Hey! Hows the new couch working out?

Yeah, I imagine the recoil on that baby is pretty badass

That's how they do it here in Cali as well.

So this is their training then? I dont' remember ever seeing this nonsense before...why in the hell they would train them to do this is beyond me. I would bet good money that sooner or later someone is goign to put their car in the wall or something similar.

Yeah, I imagine the recoil on that baby is pretty badass

So this is their training then? I don't' remember ever seeing this nonsense before...why in the hell they would train them to do this is beyond me. I would bet good money that sooner or later someone is going to put their car in the wall or something similar.

I got hit with a spotlight late one night, right in the eyes, made me swerve. I was waiting to get pulled over so when they asked if I knew why they were pulling me over I could say "because I swerved when you hit me right in the eyes with your spotlight".

I got hit with a spotlight late one night, right in the eyes, made me swerve. I was waiting to get pulled over so when they asked if I knew why they were pulling me over I could say "because I swerved when you hit me right in the eyes with your spotlight".

LOL! If that ever happens to me, I'm writing a letter...honestly who comes up with this stuff?

The short answer is because thats the proper way to shoot LIDAR (not radar). It requires a direct hit on a flat surface of the vehicle to get a reading. It typically takes 2-3 seconds of holding the sights on target to get a reading.

So there's no other way to properly aim than to get out of your car, spread your legs, crouch down, and aim it like a gun? That is very hard to beleive.

So there's no other way to properly aim than to get out of your car, spread your legs, crouch down, and aim it like a gun? That is very hard to beleive.

I'm guessing because leaning casually on the hood of his car, feet crossed with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth while reading a novel in the other hand might inspire even more complaints. Gotta earn it! 'MERICA!

/Also, I have no idea.

I'm guessing because leaning casually on the hood of his car, feet crossed with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth while reading a novel in the other hand might inspire even more complaints. Gotta earn it! 'MERICA!

/Also, I have no idea.

I'd be happy if he could just not be in front of a vaguely marked police vehicle....the thing didn't have any lights on top of it and it was dark blue...and he was standing in front of the passengers door so I couldn't even see where it said "State Patrol" or whatever....it really wouldn't take that much effort (i.e. common sense) to prevent me from having a coronary on the interstate.

I usually see them with the "gun" resting on their open driver side door. They do have to aim it at a flat surface, usally the license plate, to make it work.

BTW, to fully understand what officers go through day in and day out, you all should do a ride along with them. I think you'd appreciate how much they put their life on the line to protect you from the crazies running around the streets. I have two family members that are police officers and I worry every day that they come home safe every night. It's a crazy world out there.

Edited by NoorK

I usually see them with the "gun" resting on their open driver side door. They do have to aim it at a flat surface, usally the license plate, to make it work.

BTW, to fully understand what officers go throw day in and day out, you all should do a ride along with them. I think you'd appreciate how much they put their life on the line to protect you from the crazies running around the streets. I have two family members that are police officers and I worry every day that they come home safe every night. It's a crazy world out there.

I'm fine with them using the thing....just pull back on the dirty harry.

First thought is someone's going to open fire on traffic? Really?

Might want to step back from action movies (or the evening news).

Yeah, cause people never do crazy things with guns...especially not in a large metro are with a high crime rate.

Once here on the NYS Thruway I saw a cop taking radar readings while seated in a lawn chair behind some trees in the median.

lol...that's more what I'm used to...not quite to that extent, but when I was back in WNY I don't ever remember them being all dramatic with the radar gun.

BTW, to fully understand what officers go throw day in and day out, you all should do a ride along with them. I think you'd appreciate how much they put their life on the line to protect you from the crazies running around the streets. I have two family members that are police officers and I worry every day that they come home safe every night. It's a crazy world out there.

I did that once all day -- in a very, very small city. Highlight of the day: Livestock in the roadway and lunch at Hardee's.

Have to have too much patience to be a cop/deputy/anything. I could never do it. People are awful.

Probably not. Considering that Ghost said it takes 2-3 seconds to get a return, that would mean you need steady and accurate aim...which means you aim LIDAR that way for the same reason you aim a handgun that way: it's a stable stance from which to aim.

Probably not. Considering that Ghost said it takes 2-3 seconds to get a return, that would mean you need steady and accurate aim...which means you aim LIDAR that way for the same reason you aim a handgun that way: it's a stable stance from which to aim.

I wish I could have had this happen with a typical looking patrol car since I think that was the variable that took it from "cop on the road with radar" to "holy crap, some guy aiming a gun at traffic". There was just no visual cue in that short amount of time to clue my brain into the fact that it was a cop. I'd be interested to see if I would have reacted the same without that unknown, and where the vehicle was one I recognized. HOnestly though, I can't even see how this technology is feasible with that time frame given Atlanta traffic. Even when I drive in at 11am, there is still quite a bit of congestion. The only real difference is that there is more flow than there is at 8am.

And again, to echo Lana's comment, I'm more supportive and understanding of law enforcement than many people I know....I didn't like how this went down at all, but I'm not meaning this to come off as anti-cop at all.

I wish I could have had this happen with a typical looking patrol car since I think that was the variable that took it from "cop on the road with radar" to "holy crap, some guy aiming a gun at traffic". There was just no visual cue in that short amount of time to clue my brain into the fact that it was a cop. I'd be interested to see if I would have reacted the same without that unknown, and where the vehicle was one I recognized. HOnestly though, I can't even see how this technology is feasible with that time frame given Atlanta traffic. Even when I drive in at 11am, there is still quite a bit of congestion. The only real difference is that there is more flow than there is at 8am.

And again, to echo Lana's comment, I'm more supportive and understanding of law enforcement than many people I know....I didn't like how this went down at all, but I'm not meaning this to come off as anti-cop at all.

Not to worry...they only aim them at red sports cars. ;)