Sons of Anarchy Season 5

/dev/null

Really good season so far...agree that Gemma is a total whore/loser. Thought Clay's play was smart, which bought him some time, but he's stupid to hang around and wait for someone to put a bullet in his head. Really enjoy Jimmy Smits' "Nero" being part of the show. Adds another interesting element to the story lines.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what happened, but I found myself really frustrated with tonight's episode....it feels like they're dropping the ball on these story lines and just offing everyone instead. I feel like I'm watching the same thing over and over again, whereas I thought things seemed pretty fresh and interesting when they initiated these plots and subplots. It seems like it's, "event happens....Sons confused over who dun it....sons find out who dun it....sons kill....rinse, repeat". The whole "revenge" concept loses it's appeal when they play this card over and over again every week. I'd rather see them stop taking the easy way out with the writing and actually DEVELOP some of these ideas. I feel like tonight was a turning point for this show, and my thoughts are that they need to get back to establishing tension and drama and stop just solving everything with bullets.

It also feels like they're doing the same thing with Gemma and Jax/Tara....Gemma helps with kids and all is well....then Gemma screws up....Jax/Tara get mad and threaten to take kids away....everyone makes nice....and then it all starts over again.

Edited by ajzepp

I don't know what happened, but I found myself really frustrated with tonight's episode....it feels like they're dropping the ball on these story lines and just offing everyone instead. I feel like I'm watching the same thing over and over again, whereas I thought things seemed pretty fresh and interesting when they initiated these plots and subplots. It seems like it's, "event happens....Sons confused over who dun it....sons find out who dun it....sons kill....rinse, repeat". The whole "revenge" concept loses it's appeal when they play this card over and over again every week. I'd rather see them stop taking the easy way out with the writing and actually DEVELOP some of these ideas. I feel like tonight was a turning point for this show, and my thoughts are that they need to get back to establishing tension and drama and stop just solving everything with bullets.

It also feels like they're doing the same thing with Gemma and Jax/Tara....Gemma helps with kids and all is well....then Gemma screws up....Jax/Tara get mad and threaten to take kids away....everyone makes nice....and then it all starts over again.

with opie dying, its no surprise jax is in kill kill kill mode. i think how/if he comes out of it will be the test of the series ultimately.

it already has the "sons do something reckless, huge consequences show up on their doorstep, and then no one pays for it" the first 4 seasons. this season is catching up on A LOT of those missed payments.

with opie dying, its no surprise jax is in kill kill kill mode. i think how/if he comes out of it will be the test of the series ultimately.

it already has the "sons do something reckless, huge consequences show up on their doorstep, and then no one pays for it" the first 4 seasons. this season is catching up on A LOT of those missed payments.

Good point. I think what I miss is a little more of the build up. It's like with Breaking Bad at the end of S5...there was just SO much of a release when the season finale went down that it was overwhelming...to this day many of us have the imagery of that last episode on our heads. The drama and tension built up over time and the payoff in the end was VERY meticulously planned and hard to come by. With Sons it's just like, "oh, they killed another guy" lately. I dunno, last night just didn't sit well with me for some reason. Maybe next week I'll be over it.

Not sure if anyone realizes how well this woman can sing.

I know a lot of the background music has been hers through the series. Very talented.

Yeah but everytime I hear her voice on SoA or Futurama, I still hear that shrill Peggy Bundy scream Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!

As has been mentioned, I do think the plot overall has been too repetitive, but I don't think the killing is the problem. Right now, I think there's been a lot of killing just to get the point across that a flip has switched in Jax. While it may be beating a dead horse, it IS a big change from the start of the show to now, especially since he's still pushing the overall agenda of getting out of that life. Killing, torturing, cutting body parts, not being upset at Tig for

taking out the guards wife

; these are all big things to show how far down the rabbit hole he's fallen.

I agree they need to build some bigger story lines, but I think that is happening in the background. The Jax vs Clay may be repetitive, but I think it's getting bigger, especially with Jax's new attitude. I think the Clay/Juice conversation was a big deal, and the ending scene was excellent IMO. I also think Nero will factor in to this more as things progress.

Overall I think the show is getting more personal and gritty, which I think is a good direction. We'll just have to wait and see if the writers are going to make things a little more complex, or just stick to action and blood as much as possible.

As has been mentioned, I do think the plot overall has been too repetitive, but I don't think the killing is the problem. Right now, I think there's been a lot of killing just to get the point across that a flip has switched in Jax. While it may be beating a dead horse, it IS a big change from the start of the show to now, especially since he's still pushing the overall agenda of getting out of that life. Killing, torturing, cutting body parts, not being upset at Tig for

taking out the guards wife

; these are all big things to show how far down the rabbit hole he's fallen.

I agree they need to build some bigger story lines, but I think that is happening in the background. The Jax vs Clay may be repetitive, but I think it's getting bigger, especially with Jax's new attitude. I think the Clay/Juice conversation was a big deal, and the ending scene was excellent IMO. I also think Nero will factor in to this more as things progress.

Overall I think the show is getting more personal and gritty, which I think is a good direction. We'll just have to wait and see if the writers are going to make things a little more complex, or just stick to action and blood as much as possible.

If not for the 3 minute motorcycle chase with guns blazin every episode, I'd be really happy. I agree with all you said, just need to cut a few gratuitous moments. Otherwise, plot wise, it's going great places.

No 3 minute motorcycle chase in this episode. Tho I did was jealous of Tara's hand near the end of the episode :devil:

Why do I have a funny feeling that getting Gemma back with Clay is going to backfire on Jax? Those two make a toxic match for everyone around them

I thought tonight was a much better episode than last week...I like when they go a bit longer than 60 mins...just has a more comfortable feel to it. Next week's 90 min installment should be awesome. Sux for juice...he's got himself in a world of sheeat. I wish they would let Jimmy Smits get a little more caught up in stuff. He's sort of been relegated to some guy on the fringe with a crush at times...I like it better when he's mixed up in all the craziness, driving like a madman with Jax trying to take out a rival. I"m hoping they have a bigger role for him again, cause when they use him like they did tonight they just waste his character. Let's get the tension brewing between him and Clay again....

Sux for juice...he's got himself in a world of sheeat.

I think Juice makes it out okay. Clay confided in Juice. Whenever Jax catches up with Juice that info will come out and Jax lets Juice walk in exchange for evidence damning Clay at the table

I thought tonight was a much better episode than last week...I like when they go a bit longer than 60 mins...just has a more comfortable feel to it. Next week's 90 min installment should be awesome. Sux for juice...he's got himself in a world of sheeat. I wish they would let Jimmy Smits get a little more caught up in stuff. He's sort of been relegated to some guy on the fringe with a crush at times...I like it better when he's mixed up in all the craziness, driving like a madman with Jax trying to take out a rival. I"m hoping they have a bigger role for him again, cause when they use him like they did tonight they just waste his character. Let's get the tension brewing between him and Clay again....

they are working towards it. they didnt bring him in just for what weve seen. hes got some big stuff coming up i assume. if he gets taken out of the picture without a more major storyline i would be very surprised.

they are working towards it. they didnt bring him in just for what weve seen. hes got some big stuff coming up i assume. if he gets taken out of the picture without a more major storyline i would be very surprised.

I thought they were starting to take steps in that direction a couple weeks ago, and then it sort of cooled off....I'm thinking you're probably right, though...that's how it should be. Jimmy should have this whole show turned on its head before too long...can't wait!

I think Juice makes it out okay. Clay confided in Juice. Whenever Jax catches up with Juice that info will come out and Jax lets Juice walk in exchange for evidence damning Clay at the table

That would make sense...there was some foreshadowing last night between Jax and his VP about how they needed something more concrete before they could take it to the club. Good call. Looked like Jax was ready to mow his ass down last night...I'm glad they carried it over to next week.

Worst episode of the series last night.

Really? That's how I felt about last week. What were your issues about yesterday?

• 2 weeks later...

At least there was no gratuitous chase scenes lol. Ok, we get it, Jax is more ruthless. Did everyone else see the Otto request for his cherished cross a total setup too? I thought so. One thing about this episode I did like is the utter and total manipulation of Gemma and Juice by Clay.