Shawn Powell

"Shawn Powell eventually won.

Back in May, the undrafted rookie said he wanted to learn as much as he could from veteran punter Brian Moorman. And then take Moorman’s job.

Per multiple reports, the Bills will be releasing Moorman. Tim Graham of the Buffalo News reports that the Bills will be re-signing Powell."

http://profootballta...orman-the-boot/

I'll always love Moorman and I hope people blow up his Twitter with fan love if he is on there. You'll always be a big part Bills history.

That being said, I wanted to take a look at the new guy. The guy has a huge body for a punter; 6'4" and 248 pounds. He also held for the FG kicker in college (I know some people were concerned about that). It sounds as though he is a very good directional punter so hopefully he can pin guys inside the 10 a lot.

He won the FBS award for best punter in 2011 averaging over 44 yards per punt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeCrlgh0BiA

Edited by The Voice of Truth

The timing is odd, but like Trent Edwards, I think they were giving Moorman one more chance.

I was excited when they signed Shaun Powell as a UDFA, and thought he would beat out Moorman in camp. A big (6'4", 245) young guy who studies his craft, can also kick off through the end zone. See the linked article (may not be currently available). It seems possible to me that he could replace John Potter as the long kickoff guy, but I don't know if they tried Powell in that role in training camp.

http://www.buffalone...ticle861649.ece

The article talks about working with ex-Bill Greg Cater. Here is an excerpt:

Cater now works as a pastor in Rome, Ga. But he has been working with Powell since he was 16 on his punting mechanics.

"From the first time I worked with him it was obvious he was special," Cater said. "I remember the first time I let him tee the ball up and kick off for me at Darlington [high school]. There's a row of evergreens behind the end zone. He nailed that thing over the evergreens. I said, 'You've got the leg strength. All we need to do is point you in the right direction.'"

Powell averaged a nation's-best 47.0 yards per punt as a senior at Florida State. His net average of 41.2 yards was second best in the nation. Equally impressive was the fact only 37 percent of his punts were returned. Opposing returners fair-caught 40 percent of his punts. Powell put 21 punts inside the 20, and he had only two touchbacks.

Powell is comfortable booting directional punts, toward the sideline, a tactic that is given a high priority by Bills special teams coach Bruce DeHaven.

The timing is odd, but like Trent Edwards, I think they were giving Moorman one more chance.

I was excited when they signed Shaun Powell as a UDFA, and thought he would beat out Moorman in camp. A big (6'4", 245) young guy who studies his craft, can also kick off through the end zone. See the linked article (may not be currently available). It seems possible to me that he could replace John Potter as the long kickoff guy, but I don't know if they tried Powell in that role in training camp.

http://www.buffalone...ticle861649.ece

The article talks about working with ex-Bill Greg Cater. Here is an excerpt:

Cater now works as a pastor in Rome, Ga. But he has been working with Powell since he was 16 on his punting mechanics.

"From the first time I worked with him it was obvious he was special," Cater said. "I remember the first time I let him tee the ball up and kick off for me at Darlington [high school]. There's a row of evergreens behind the end zone. He nailed that thing over the evergreens. I said, 'You've got the leg strength. All we need to do is point you in the right direction.'"

Powell averaged a nation's-best 47.0 yards per punt as a senior at Florida State. His net average of 41.2 yards was second best in the nation. Equally impressive was the fact only 37 percent of his punts were returned. Opposing returners fair-caught 40 percent of his punts. Powell put 21 punts inside the 20, and he had only two touchbacks.

Powell is comfortable booting directional punts, toward the sideline, a tactic that is given a high priority by Bills special teams coach Bruce DeHaven.

Definitely like Powell but no way he replaces Potter, if any thing Lyndell goes next year.

Lindell's a pretty big guy too.

Not too many short or slender guys on this roster anymore.

Powell seems to have a lot of natural ability and hopefully he'll polish up real nicely.

If Powell works out, then we have found our punter and kicker (Potter) for the next decade, something we were used to with Christie/Mohr and then Lindell/Moorman.

Does this also mean that we are only left with Kelsay and Lindell from the Donahoe regime?

If Powell works out, then we have found our punter and kicker (Potter) for the next decade, something we were used to with Christie/Mohr and then Lindell/Moorman.

Does this also mean that we are only left with Kelsay and Lindell from the Donahoe regime?

McGee and Wilson are also from the Donahoe regime.

Also: Jackson, Kyle Williams, and Scott are the only guys left over from the Levy regime. Stevie Johnson, Spencer Johnson, McIntyre, McKelvin, Fitz, Sanborn, Byrd, Levitre, and Wood are from the "Russ Brandon GM era." So now it's down to 16 players that Nix and Gailey inherited.

McGee and Wilson are also from the Donahoe regime.

Also: Jackson, Kyle Williams, and Scott are the only guys left over from the Levy regime. Stevie Johnson, Spencer Johnson, McIntyre, McKelvin, Fitz, Sanborn, Byrd, Levitre, and Wood are from the "Russ Brandon GM era." So now it's down to 16 players that Nix and Gailey inherited.

Good stuff, fellas.