Pass Defense has more holes than Swiss cheese

I am concerned that Gilmore is still going through a learning curve. And McGee has a bad habit of playing too far off receivers.

But Gronkowski and Winslow may prove to be the biggest headaches of all next week. I think the Patriots' passing game is gonna go right after the Bills' linebakers to test their coverage abilities.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not aggresive enough in our secondary.. We play that same old bend but don't break pass coverage scheme.... Competent experienced QB's like Brady who get rid of the ball quickl and always find the open WR will have field days againt our secondary if some changes are not made IMO..

If the Bills are oging to win on Sunday it will mean our O will have ot score often.

But overall I still feel this team is heading in the right direction... Just wish our Pass D was tighter

I am concerned that Gilmore is still going through a learning curve. And McGee has a bad habit of playing too far off receivers.

But Gronkowski and Winslow may prove to be the biggest headaches of all next week. I think the Patriots' passing game is gonna go right after the Bills' linebakers to test their coverage abilities.

After watching last night, I'm not as worried about Gronk or Winslow, because they will need to stay in to block. Pats*' OL cannot handle the Bills front 4 without TE help. It's all those little guys running underneath that still scare me. Mr Edelman needs to be introduced to Mr Turf often & hard.

Edited by GG

You're concerned that Gilmore, who is three games into his NFL career, is going through a learning curve? What exactly were you expecting?

As far as the CBs go, Aaron Williams is still shaky as hell. I like Rogers a lot more and would love to see him get a chance to start outside. Williams got bailed out by 2 under thrown deep balls by Weeden that should have been big TDs. Gilmore has been up and down to but you have to expect that, it's only his third game. I guess I should expect it from Williams too considering he's only a 2nd year player, who got injured early last year but he just seems to get beat a lot. Anyway, the good news is that aside from T McGee everybody is still young as hell.

Edited by Stl Bills

Yes, The Bills won yet the pass defense gets picked apart. There seems to be more holes in the pass defense than in Swiss Cheese. Next week the Bills have to play Tom Brady. If the pass defense doesn't play better, I can see Brady having a 500 yd passing day. Looks like Spiller will be out, and not sure about Freddie Jackson. Won't be very pretty. And BTW - Fitzpatrick still has an accuracy problem.

The pass defense hasn't been very good, I will give you that. Just imagine how bad it would have been without the constant pressure on the QB that the DL has had the past two weeks. They are young and old. The two starting CBs are so young they are learning and are going to get burned quite a bit as they have been for awhile. To me, it seems Terrence McGee has lost at least a step. Can't argue your point about Fitz though. For every good throw he makes, he makes one just as bad so far, continuing right where he left off last year.

Last night Baltimore managed to suck Gronk RIGHT out of the offensive scheme by forcing them to leave him in as an extra blocker. Granted, this freed up Welker, but the formula for stiffling the Pats* offense (which, by the way, didn't look that impressive last night) is out there.

I'll take that. He usually beats us regardless of scheme. Neutralizing the TE via pass rush should be the goal. I can't stand seeing 20yd darts up the seam to Gronk anymore.

The negativity around here after a win is hilarious. I understand the team isn't perfect but it seems no one here can enjoy a victory. Life is too short people. Try to enjoy it.

Coaches tell their players not to get too high after a win, or too low after a loss. As a fan, I've adopted that attitude myself. After the loss to the Jets, I thought about both the positives (offensive line, Spiller) and negatives (pass defense, Fitz). Both Fitz and the pass defense looked better than they did against the Jets. But there are still weaknesses in both areas. A team like the Patriots might be better able to exploit those weaknesses than the Browns were.

As others have pointed out, Gilmore and Aaron Williams are young players--guys who may well improve with time and experience. Odds are we haven't yet seen either player's ceiling. I expect the pass defense to be better in the latter part of the season than it is right now.

The negativity around here after a win is hilarious. I understand the team isn't perfect but it seems no one here can enjoy a victory. Life is too short people. Try to enjoy it.

They act like none of the other 31 teams ever allow a pass completion, allow a run of 5 yds or more or have a turnover. All teams have flaws. It's how you manage them that matters. And last I checked the game lasts 60 minutes and high score wins.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

We got lucky we were playing an inaccurate QB. I imagine that the next few weeks will be ugly unless our CBs step up on coverage.

We have got to play press coverage. I'm not a convinced this current strategy of playing soft is the way to go. I can think of three key drops that killed Cleveland drives that helped us win. Brady and Welker wont be making those drops.

I'd like to see the Bills blitz New England. Have we blitzed at all this year?

The front four pressure is good, but not enough with Brady and his many receivers. If he has time, he will connect. We need to throw him off, keep him guessing/running. Yesterday Pats had to keep Gronkowski in to block rushers, taking him out of passing game-reson why Welker was getting so many looks too. We better have a very innovative Defensive plan next week-Game will depend on it.

Big deal, the Bills beat Cleveland. Beat the Pats and Brady this coming Sunday and then we will have something to cheer about

We're not aggresive enough in our secondary.. We play that same old bend but don't break pass coverage scheme.... Competent experienced QB's like Brady who get rid of the ball quickl and always find the open WR will have field days againt our secondary if some changes are not made IMO..

If the Bills are oging to win on Sunday it will mean our O will have ot score often.

But overall I still feel this team is heading in the right direction... Just wish our Pass D was tighter

The real key to beating the Pats is getting in Brady's face and either sacking him batting his passes down or forcing him to throw early and hopefully pick him off.

Holes?? I can say that they weren't playing press coverage and gave up some short routes but they didn't give up many big plays. Saying they had holes? I wouldn't go that far.

I thought we did ok too. -Against a rookie QB, and a very sorry reciever corp. It won't be like that against the Patsies. Our DB's better buck-up this week.

a performance like last week will for sure get us blown out.