JP Losman Is Not The Man

ubhockey

The one thing that holding the clipboard for a year allows Losman to do is learn the playbook without most of the pressure of preparing for a game each week.  It also gives him a chance to practice with and watch what his teammates' strengths and weaknesses are,  and to see how the offense is supposed to operate with a veteran QB at the helm (well,  in theory,  anyway).  In any case,  the better his working knowledge of the offensive system before he has to start,  the better his odds are of having a successful first season as a starter.

189590[/snapback]

OK, this season was his season for holding the clipboard...next year he starts, problem solved!

Thank god that TD traded for our QB of the future THIS year rather than drafting him next!

We at least have another option right now!

You guys are missing the point. JP is not Big Ben, Culpepper or even Leftwich.

He's not ready but if you guys want to waste our team with JP at the helm next year, that's fine.

189546[/snapback]

I am going to go out on a limb and speak not only for myself, but for the rest of the guys and say that even given your eloquent arguments to keep Drew as the starter we had a conference and took a little vote......me and the guys decided that we don't want Drew starting for us. We appreciate your input and opinions but at this point our minds are made up. If anything changes, we will let you know but for now we are sticking with our decision.

Even though you may not agree, we are putting JP at the helm. Even though it may appear to be a nutty move in your book, we're goin through with it. Yup, were wastin our team....the hell with it.

Well, enlighten me. What makes you think JP is the man for next year? Cause I don't see anything other than he's not Drew.

189594[/snapback]

OK.

Lets start with only needing to get a 79 paasers rating to be as good as Drew. If he ONLY does that and runs for a few 1st downs instead of being sacked I think we win one more game, go 10 and 6 and are in the playoffs WITHOUT help!

OK, this season was his season for holding the clipboard...next year he starts, problem solved!

Thank god that TD traded for our QB of the future THIS year rather than drafting him next!

189595[/snapback]

How do you know Losman is the QB of the future? .....he's accomplished nothing in the NFL so far besides some mop-up duty. There's several good QBs in this year's draft and I think the Bills jumped the gun and wasted a No. 1 pick on JP.

How do you know Losman is the QB of the future? .....he's accomplished nothing in the NFL so far besides some mop-up duty. There's several good QBs in this year's draft and I think the Bills jumped the gun and wasted a No. 1 pick on JP.

189604[/snapback]

So what is it that makes the QB prospects in this years draft so much better than JP? Give him a chance and let's see what he can do.

Well, enlighten me. What makes you think JP is the man for next year? Cause I don't see anything other than he's not Drew.

189594[/snapback]

TD knows a hell of alot more about football then me and you and is privy to top notch scouting. He thought enough of JP to trade a #1 and a #2 pick to select him. He knew that Green Bay and their scouting staff coveted JP too and that the only way the Bills could get JP is to pay such a price. I have a lot more faith in TDs opinion then anyone elses here. JP is very mobile, fast, has a cannon and excels at throwing on the run. He would add another dimension we dont have. He is very intelligent, a gym rat and a student of the game. He is eager to learn and lives for football. He saved the Tulane football program. The program was gonna be a budget cut but JP lobbied to keep football at Tulane and was succesful. That is a leader. He also played behind one of the worst lines in all of college. He got the sh-- beat out of him but made plays and got up from every hit. He is tough and he never once blamed his oline. He is 23 and has upside. He will only improve. He has a season of learning under his belt and I am sure Drew tutored him well. He is fiery and intense, plays with passion. Ill stop now but you get the idea. I think JP can be a great player in this league with the proper instruction and as long as he stays healthy.

I am going to go out on a limb and speak not only for myself, but for the rest of the guys and say that even given your eloquent arguments to keep Drew as the starter we had a conference and took a little vote......me and the guys decided that we don't want Drew starting for us.  We appreciate your input and opinions but at this point our minds are made up.  If anything changes, we will let you know but for now we are sticking with our decision. 

Even though you may not agree, we are putting JP at the helm.  Even though it may appear to be a nutty move in your book, we're goin through with it.  Yup, were wastin our team....the hell with it.

189600[/snapback]

Again, the only Drew I would support for the Bills next year is Brees. I'm not a Bledsoe fan, I know he's the weakest link right now. I want someone with experience in here next year, not Drew and definitely not JP.

189595[/snapback]

Myself, and I'm certainly no expert, but I think that he'll either 'get it' or he won't after that one season on the bench. I think one year is probably enough to learn most of what can be learned on the sidelines and now, the rest will have to be learned on the field. He should have a good enough understanding of the offense that if he's going to be a great player, he should be able to overcome a few bad days and still show quite a few glimpses of the great QB we expect him to become in the years ahead.

Again, the only Drew I would support for the Bills next year is Brees. I'm not a Bledsoe fan, I know he's the weakest link right now. I want someone with experience in here next year, not Drew and definitely not JP.

189615[/snapback]

So use a first round pick and than bring in an expensive free agent like Drew Brees. Do you think TD is an idiot? Oh yeah he drafted WM with that busted up knee., drafted Lee Evans with that busted up knee etc. Go back to your school books

So use a first round pick and than bring in an expensive free agent like Drew Brees.  Do you think TD is an idiot?  Oh yeah he drafted WM with that busted up knee., drafted Lee Evans with that busted up knee etc.  Go back to your school books

189622[/snapback]

QBs are a different nature. I was jumping up and down when TD drafted Willis and I was glad he got Evans.

But you guys win, JP is leading the Bills to Super Bowl in 2005-2006. Watch out!

Myself, I'm certainly no expert, but I think that he'll either 'get it' or he won't after that one season on the bench.  I think one year is probably enough to learn most of what can be learned on the sidelines and now,  the rest will have to be learned on the field.  He should have a good enough understanding of the offense that if he's going to be a great player,  he should be able to overcome a few bad days and still show quite a few glimpses of the great QB we expect him to become in the years ahead.

189621[/snapback]

We are in screaming agreement. Losman will have an entire preseason to get going. The offseason can be spent on building an even better o-line, sign ing a stud TE, and maybe adding a few other positions. The offense will be familiar, Majority of the players will be the same. This is the right time to pull the trigger and move to JP. Another year with JP or other FA QB at the helm most likely ends up as another non-playoff season and does NOTHING to cement our future as a team that will compete EVERY year!

We need these 3 young studs to play together as soon as possible. Losman/Evans?McGahee could just be the next Manning/Harrison/James!

Lets get it started and start JP!

QBs are a different nature. I was jumping up and down when TD drafted Willis and I was glad he got Evans.

But you guys win, JP is leading the Bills to Super Bowl in 2005-2006. Watch out!

189625[/snapback]

I dont think anyone here is claiming that just a change to JP will take us to Superbowl just arguing your claim that we be better off going after Brees etc than seeing if JP is or can be the man. The team needs some OL help but it is also time to see if JP can do it with a fair battle in camp against whoever are the contenders.

Pennington took years to develope. Vick was heads and shoulders above everyone else in college.

We can only hope JP turns into Carr, but Carr is still a year or two from being a premier QB.

Yes, where you play in college means A LOT 90% of the time. If you don't watch college football you wouldn't understand.

189427[/snapback]

Tell that to Andre Reed.

If San Diego is stupid enough to let Brees become a free agent, we should go after him. Your QB is your franchise. Why take a chance on an unknown and unproven player like Losman when you can get a young but proven player like Drew Brees? The salary cap room for Brees could be had by cutting fat elsewhere.

JP will take years to groom into an NFL QB. It's not like the kid came from the "U" or Tennessee or Auburn where they breed NFLers. He played for Tulane. This kid isn't the Bills answer in the near future.

All this talk about him being the man for next year is crazy. He's too underdeveloped. Chances are he may never groom into his expected potential. It's a big chance we took in drafting him.

That being said, the Bills need someone else at the helm next year. Drew can't lead this team, however, with whatever else is out there, he might be our best bet.

Dare I say: Doug Flutie? Haha ... jk!

189338[/snapback]

Could you please tell me how you sanely came to this conclusion? Then I will sanely attempt to change your mind

189625[/snapback]

How about we just get to the playoffs and see what happens....

Because we have NOT BEEN THERE UNDER DREW BLEDSOW

I'd rather go 6-10 with Losman next year than go 9-7 again with Bledsoe. There really is no difference in the record if we don't make the playoffs anyways. There is no reason to continue to play Bledsoe if we know he is going to choke in the big games. Coaches get fired for losing to teams over and over again. Bledsoe should have the same fate.

What concerns me is that we have a great defense right now. If we take too many seasons to develop a strong QB, then how many of our good defensive players do we lose to FA? Will we then end up with a strong offense and a rookie defense? Damn - the timing sucks.