Bills gave the Jets 31 points

Jerry Jabber

The Bills in essence gave the Jets 31 points yesterday. The offense had 4 turnovers: Fitz's threw 3 INT's, and Spiller had a questionable fumble. 3 of the 4 offensive turnovers put the Bills defense in bad positions on the field, and the Jets offense was able to capitalize and score 17 points. The 4th offensive turnover, which was Fitz's 3rd INT, was a very bad INT on Fitz's part in which the Jets D took in for a pick six. Special Teams gave up a 68 yard punt return for a TD. Let's face it, the coaches and the players (offense, defense & special teams) blew it big time yesterday. When a team gives their opposition 31 points, the chances of winning are slim and none (with slim leaving town).

The Bills in essence gave the Jets 31 points yesterday. The offense had 4 turnovers: Fitz's threw 3 INT's, and Spiller had a questionable fumble. 3 of the 4 offensive turnovers put the Bills defense in bad positions on the field, and the Jets offense was able to capitalize and score 17 points. The 4th offensive turnover, which was Fitz's 3rd INT, was a very bad INT on Fitz's part in which the Jets D took in for a pick six. Special Teams gave up a 68 yard punt return for a TD. Let's face it, the coaches and the players (offense, defense & special teams) blew it big time yesterday. When a team gives their opposition 31 points, the chances of winning are slim and none (with slim leaving town).

Fitzpatrick is also partially to blame for the CJ fumble. It put him in a vulnerable position with a underthrown ball. CJ was wide open and if Fitzpatrick would have led the ball to him in stride it would have been an easy touchdown with Spillers breakaway speed on the outside.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Oh, whatever. It wasn't questionable, it wasn't Fitz's fault (he sucked yesterday, though). CJ simply didn't properly secure the ball when attempting to break a play. He needs to be more aware of his surroundings and not looking for the next Sportscenter highlight.

Oh, whatever. It wasn't questionable, it wasn't Fitz's fault (he sucked yesterday, though). CJ simply didn't properly secure the ball when attempting to break a play. He needs to be more aware of his surroundings and not looking for the next Sportscenter highlight.

I'm not making excuses, but from the replay it never looked like Spiller had full possession of the ball. Either way, Spiller needs to do a better job at ball security.

Thank you.

Thats why the sky isn't falling as bad.

It was a home opener in New York City which is a bad start to the season. I was thinking this would be a loss either way. The Punt return was horrible but fixable. You can't expect the Bills will spot every opponent 31 points.

The biggest problem imo is the secondary. Aaron Williams, McKelvin and Gilmore looked horrible. The best DB play of the game was by Donald Jones on a pass that should have been another INT for Fitzy.

The Fitzy turnovers and the secondary are much worse than anyone could have expected in week1.

If they get that under control they won't be spotting teams points every week.

I'm not saying its easy to get that under control I am saying it takes longer for defenses to gel than offenses. The Jets knew what they wanted to do and took advantage of the secondary. You can only hope they learn and get better as a unit.

Edited by Why So Serious?

FACT: Yesterday's outcome was every worst-case-scenario Bills fans could think of.

The Bills should be fine UNLESS:

We turn the ball over.

We give up a pick/fumble six.

We give up a special teams touchdown.

Mark Sanchez excels from the pocket.

We can't get any pressure.

Jackson gets injured.

One of our top 3 wide receivers gets injured.

If you would have told me that ALL of those things would come to fruition, I would have told you take your pessimism and get lost. Not in this universe, or any other, would a Bills fan in his or her right mind have predicted ALL of those things to come true, when any ONE of them could have potentially cost us the game.

Edited by The Big Cat

I'm not making excuses, but from the replay it never looked like Spiller had full possession of the ball. Either way, Spiller needs to do a better job at ball security.

I disagree. To me it was a fumble. But either way it really doesn't matter anymore. The Bills sucking for the last 12 years, and particularly the last 2 years and 1 game, is not due to referee incompetence, despite what you generally read on this forum.

I disagree. To me it was a fumble. But either way it really doesn't matter anymore. The Bills sucking for the last 12 years, and particularly the last 2 years and 1 game, is not due to referee incompetence, despite what you generally read on this forum.

Not blaimg the refs, just said it was a questionable call. 4 turnovers by the offense is inexcuable!! Most of the team & especially the coaches were incompetent yesterday. Trust me, I'm getting tired of this crap.

I'm sorry, but how did they give them these points? Many QB's threw 3 or 4 ints yesterday and their team still won. Why? Because their defense shut down the opposing team or held them to a field goal. If you want to say we gave them something, then maybe say that Fitz gave them a pick 6. Other than that, we could have stopped every other score. The Punt Return could have been stopped. The passing TD's could have been stopped.

I didn't realize that once you threw an INT, you automatically gave the other team a free TD and had to lose the game.

Turnovers are always a killer, but the fact that all of them were converted into points is alarming. It shouldn't be automatic that an INT at the 50 turns into 7. Our defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd down all game. 3rd and long was automatic, and our revamped pass rush was non-existent. Fitz played his worst game as a Bill yesterday and probably the worst game of his career, but our D gave him no help after any of those mistakes.

I recognize that Fitz is a flawed QB and will throw his share of INTs, so while his performance was revolting, its not totally unexpected. I believed that our defense would be good enough to keep any game against the Jets within striking distance. I was more disappointed in our effort on that side of the ball.

I'm sorry, but how did they give them these points? Many QB's threw 3 or 4 ints yesterday and their team still won. Why? Because their defense shut down the opposing team or held them to a field goal. If you want to say we gave them something, then maybe say that Fitz gave them a pick 6. Other than that, we could have stopped every other score. The Punt Return could have been stopped. The passing TD's could have been stopped.

I didn't realize that once you threw an INT, you automatically gave the other team a free TD and had to lose the game.

Look at it anyway you want. Anytime you turn the ball over, you're giving your opposition an opportunity, and the Jets capitalized on those opportunities. Punting to the middle of the field is just plain stupid. Moorman is considered to be a great punter, Dehaven is supposed to be a great Special Teams coach. Why didn't DeHaven have Moorman angle the punt towards the sideline? Sorry, but I disagree, bad decisions and poor tackling led to the Bills giving the Jets 7 points on that punt return.

Everybody here thought I was crazy when I called for Moorman's resignation during the summer of 2011.

i know it's only one game, and it's super !@#$ing wonderful that he had a great preseason in 2012, but yesterday he picked up RIGHT where he left off in 2010 and 2011.

Moorman played good when he faced competition [Powell} in preseason/training camp. Now that Powell is gone, there's no pressure on Moorman.