The front 4 on D is solid, but what about the rest of the D?

Jerry Jabber

Complain about the pass rush, but there was really not a ton of time to pressure Sanchez. Our shot at disrupting his quick timing would have been up the middle, but you've got one of the best in the biz in Mangold anchoring that line. The secondary was in complete disarray yesterday. They had no idea where to be, were leaving tons of cushion in front of them, and to make matters worse, they were falling down or losing footing with regularity (seems like a constant Bills problem!).

Everyone wants to complain about the pass rush, but the biggest problem was that none of the CBs could cover anyone. Receivers were wide open all over the field all day long. Sanchez missed a wide open Holmes for a TD in the first half or it would have been worse.

I don't remember the secondary ever looking this bad even against the Patriots.

Could not agree more. Hard to get to the QB when the only thing QB has to do when he drops back is locate where McKelvin is and throw it to his man. Coverage was bad all around, but it started with McKelvin. Gave Sanchez a bunch of confidence knowing how easy it was to pick apart McKelvin.

Where are the mea culpas to Fergy?

GG - Thanks for the offer. Although our D Line didn't play as aggressive as I had hoped (or as they were touted), our secondary and LB's were even worse than I expected (not Breaking News at all and we anticipated this). Until Coach Wanny learns to stop the 5-10 yd quick passes and the WR screens, our D Line will be feared but easily game planned against. The other item I saw out there (and I think you did as well since I saw that you were at the game based on your other posts) was our lack of intensity and thirst for blood as a defensive unit. Until our coaches instill a sense of aggression and "killer instinct" in these players, we will continue to get manhandled and looked at as a bunch of coddled, over paid, pro athletes. I see Harbaugh, Bellicheck and Rex put fear into their players heads that either their job is on the line or that they need to punish opposing players for crossing the middle...the Bills LB's and secondary seem to put out a welcome mat for every TE and WR crossing the middle. The automatic 8 and 10 yd passes for first downs without any fear of being hit has to end. Keep up the good, insightful work GG...I read your other stuff. Go Bills!!!

GG - Thanks for the offer. Although our D Line didn't play as aggressive as I had hoped (or as they were touted), our secondary and LB's were even worse than I expected (not Breaking News at all and we anticipated this). Until Coach Wanny learns to stop the 5-10 yd quick passes and the WR screens, our D Line will be feared but easily game planned against. The other item I saw out there (and I think you did as well since I saw that you were at the game based on your other posts) was our lack of intensity and thirst for blood as a defensive unit. Until our coaches instill a sense of aggression and "killer instinct" in these players, we will continue to get manhandled and looked at as a bunch of coddled, over paid, pro athletes. I see Harbaugh, Bellicheck and Rex put fear into their players heads that either their job is on the line or that they need to punish opposing players for crossing the middle...the Bills LB's and secondary seem to put out a welcome mat for every TE and WR crossing the middle. The automatic 8 and 10 yd passes for first downs without any fear of being hit has to end. Keep up the good, insightful work GG...I read your other stuff. Go Bills!!!

To add to this, and, even worse, when the Bills DBs weren't giving 10-15 yard cushions, they were getting knocked to the ground by Jets receivers at the snap.

Conversely, our receivers are not physical and imposing enough to get in the game, much less to abuse opposing DBs.

i think the biggest issue yesterday was that Sanchez got rid of the ball pretty quickly; our DB's were not jamming at the LOS and giving the Jets' WR's way too much room off the LOS. There were a couple of plays however where sanchez had time and the pass rush was non-existent...but overall he got the ball out of there pretty quick.

a piss-poor game all-around.

I have a feeling this is going to be a recurring theme with stache's schemes

yup I agree

i think the biggest issue yesterday was that Sanchez got rid of the ball pretty quickly; our DB's were not jamming at the LOS and giving the Jets' WR's way too much room off the LOS. There were a couple of plays however where sanchez had time and the pass rush was non-existent...but overall he got the ball out of there pretty quick.

a piss-poor game all-around.

and that is what bothers me... if you only rush 4, you can press the WR's at the line b/c they should have safety help over the top. No idea where any of that was... can't wait to see the all-22 to see what was going on

Edited by jonramz

yup I agree

and that is what bothers me... if you only rush 4, you can press the WR's at the line b/c they should have safety help over the top. No idea where any of that was... can't wait to see the all-22 to see what was going on

ya i have no idea what was going on in the secondary yesterday. it's a young secondary so we may be seeing more of this unfortunately.

They were getting shoved to the ground!

lol. ya man, it was brutal.

we need to regroup. it's 1 game. we lost what, 9 of the last 10 vs the Jets? It's unacceptable...but in retrospect, the jets were going into this game witha chip on their shoulder b/c all preseason they've been ripped apart...the ny post had a clown bus on the cover for the jets for crying out loud..lol. the bills were flat..the jets were in mid-season form.

we need to be 1-1 after next week.