Try to justify Drew's place on this team.

Grant

If you look at Bledsoe's play, as I expect Mularkey and Wyche and Clements will, play by play,  snap by snap over the course of  this game, and over the course of this season, I think you will find plenty of  evidence to suggest he can't win consistently.  Too many bad  throws, too many bad decisions, and  even on successful plays, the risk of imminent disaster. 

Ask youself how many games didthe Billswin this year that they would not have won with just and AVERAGE QB.  I might say the Miami gam--but I can't  think of any other.  Even inthe Seattle game, which the Bills won handily, he threw three picks.  We're asking him to make handoffs, to make short throws, to occasionally throw it down field.  The only area where he might be considered ablve average is in downfield throws.  But his deficits in other areas more than detract from that.

Anyway, that's what I feel now.  I want to see what Losman can do, but he doesn't haveto be Peyton Manning for the Bills to continue to play as well as they have in the second half of this season.  Donohoe and Mularkey have built a team that requires workmanlike competence at QB.  Bledsoe cannot be counted on to provide that consistently.

188899[/snapback]

I hear you.

I saying to NOT cut Drew.

Make JP and DB compete fairly for the job.

The bad part for you guys is that, by far DB will show better skills and win the job with his job on the line.

Quite a situation for the Bills!

And who hasn't seen marked improvement by DB this year with Wyche as his coach? In his youth, he had exactly that to his credit... Youthful ability. The Pats

did him a disservice by never plugging him in with a QB coach when he really needed it... Unfortunately, he might be wrecked forever because of that lack of foresight?

It is only fair I give him a another year under Wyche.

And yes I will compare him with Jim Kelly... Hell, wasn't JK 30 before he went over the top... 32 is just too young!

Everybody wants to paint JK throwing picks at the goal line of the '89 season as a young kid that was growing... He was almost 30!

Everybody who wants to scrap him because he is old has just seen him for a long time... Remember, didn't DB come out as a junior?

So it comes down to quibbling over 2 years of age?

0:):doh:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No,  the truth is that both are a problem.  The pass protection has been fairly solid this year,  but the run blocking has often sucked.  Today was another example of it,  where they opened holes for McGahee on one series and did practically nothing for him the rest of the game.  That has to improve,  both for McGahee's sake AND for whoever the QB is.  Few QBs are successful when they're put in 3rd and long situations all day.  If Losman is to start next year,  the Bills would be very wise to upgrade the OL,  not only for better pass protection,  but also to give him a more consistently effective ground game to rely on (much as Pittsburgh does with Roethlisberger).

188954[/snapback]

It all starts at CENTER... A stud CENTER!

PLEASE.

This isn't like Drew is an enigma to us. This isn't like he's only spent one year here.

He has had THREE YEARS TO SHOW SOMETHING.

He has FAILED, time and time again. Everything has improved except him.

The expriment failed. End it quickly, Donahoe.

Who would consider a better lineman on those Pats teams then what we have now?  As far as I am concerned Villereal, Jennings and Williams are solid, as is Marcus Price and Trey Teague.  Please give me a few names for those old Pats lines that you consider better

188895[/snapback]

You're right Pete...Plus, Folks...The days of bashing this O-Line like they are High School calibre are long gone...Granted it's not the best unit in the NFL, and hopefully TD can improve the Line futher this Off Season...But it's far from the worst Line in the League either...The big "Pressure" play today had nothing to do with the O-Line and everything to do with a well designed Blitz that caught the Bills with one fewer player to block than the Steelers sent...The biggest killer today in the Blocking area was a brain fart by a WR...Even without the Bills best OG, there were some big holes opened for Willis today, so let's give the O-line a well deserved break for once...

Whether it was the Play Calling or DB today the truth is this was a Defense that none other than much maligned Eli Manning disected a couple weeks back. And the Bills had few answers, even though they were playing vs. the 2nd Team for the majority of the Game...And quite frankly if there was a single play that cost the Bills this Game it was the Fumble by Bledsoe that was returned for a TD...A play in which Bledsoe held the ball for a tick too long and stood firm in the pocket...DB's critics know plenty about his faults, and his two most glaring faults might have cost the Bills a Playoff birth in a single Play...

Admittedly Bledsoe played well at times to get the Bills to the brink of the Playoffs before todays Game...But I don't think the Bledsoe Backers can point to further improvements on the O-Line as an opportunity to possibly improve DB's Game further...Drew is what he is...And the question is not whether the Bills can improve the play at QB, because that much is obviously true...The question is whether or not JP gives them that improvement, and if not will there be a better option than Bledsoe available this coming Off Season...

The Pats

did him a disservice by never plugging him in with a QB coach when he really needed it... Unfortunately, he might be wrecked forever because of that lack of foresight?

188991[/snapback]

So Parcells and Belichick didnt give him proper coaching? He had qb coaches in NE. Frankly, after 10 years in the league, qb coaches should be just watching your mechanics. If you cant sense pressure or make quick reads by then, you never will

I am asking her to substantiate her claim.  New Englands line is great when Tom Brady is back there and so-so the last few years Drew was back there.  Drew was sacked 45 times in 2000 and 55 times in 1999- his last two years as a starter in NE.  I would like Sue to explain how that line is better.  Drew was sacked only 34 times this year with the Bills.  Please explain Sue

188921[/snapback]

Tom Brady won a superbowl with the EXACT SAME LINE that Drew lost his first two games behind. Enough said.

Keep apologizing for Bledsoe. Bellichek is still laughing as his team is fighting for their third Superbowl appearance in four years with A SIXTH ROUND QB.

So Parcells and Belichick didnt give him proper coaching?  He had qb coaches in NE.  Frankly, after 10 years in the league, qb coaches should be just watching your mechanics.  If you cant sense pressure or make quick reads by then, you never will

189031[/snapback]

Yep. Right on.

This isn't just an angry mob calling for Drew's head (well it is a bit, maybe, but there's more). He hasn't played all year. It's just that we were willing to overlook it while we were winning.

If we want to continue heading in the direction we are, and continue to improve, we need a QB that can win under pressure.

Bledsoe is fine if we're killing a team by twenty points, but if we're down or it's close, he will choke. Look at his career. It's pretty much a natural law.

PLEASE.

This isn't like Drew is an enigma to us. This isn't like he's only spent one year here.

He has had THREE YEARS TO SHOW SOMETHING.

He has FAILED, time and time again. Everything has improved except him.

The expriment failed. End it quickly, Donahoe.

189018[/snapback]

Wanna share my chocolate ice cream ? 0:)

I have never seen a QB who fumbles a ball quicker and easier than Drew Bledsoe.  He must also be deaf on his right side because he can't sense the oncoming rush.  Bledsoe would not notice a rampaging herd of elephants coming at him.

PTR

188817[/snapback]

Ding ! Ding Ding !

We have a winner !

Post of the day !

I hear you.

The bad part for you guys is that, by far DB will show better skills and win the job with his job on the line.

And who hasn't seen marked improvement by DB this year with Wyche as his coach?  In his youth, he had exactly that to his credit... Youthful ability.  The Pats

And yes I will compare him with Jim Kelly... Hell, wasn't JK 30 before he went over the top... 32 is just too young!

Everybody wants to paint JK throwing picks at the goal line of the '89 season as a young kid that was growing... He was almost 30!

Everybody who wants to scrap him because he is old has just seen him for a long time... Remember, didn't DB come out as a junior?

0:)  :doh:

188991[/snapback]

I respect your caution, and I think that you are probably right that, on the practice field and in pre-season games, Bledsoe will outperform Losman. But that's the point, to me--Bledsoe always looks better when there's not much riding on it. I just think his probability of getting it done in clutch situations is decreasing rather than increasing. The skills that he has are NOT the skills of a game-managing style QB. We need a Rich Gannon or a Trent Green, or, yes, maybe a JP Losman--if he can show competence that will be enough.

I will trust Mularkey, Wyche and Clements to figure this out. I just don't think they are going to settle on Bledsoe for any long-term potential with the Bills. About Bledsoe I'd say what Marlene Dietrich said to Orson Welles in TOUCH OF EVIL: "Your future is all used up."

I don' t think this is merey bitterness in reaction to this disheartening loss (to which many other Bills' players contributed). We'll see how it looks in a couple of weeks or months. But I don't expect this to change.

I hear you.

And who hasn't seen marked improvement by DB this year with Wyche as his coach?  In his youth, he had exactly that to his credit... Youthful ability.  The Pats

0:)  :doh:

188991[/snapback]

Actually, its more about experience than age. Kelly had been in the league 4 years. Bledsoe 12. Kelly was also pretty clearly an up and coming player, while most would argue that Bledsoe is on the downside of his career.

Also, Bledsoe will not be the better of Losman in terms of physical ability by any significant amount. Losman is certainly more mobile, but he's got a very strong arm to go along with it. He can compete with just about anyone in terms of physical skills.

Unless you're retarded or 12 years old, you should be wise enough to know that at 32 years old, Drew Bledsoe's play is not going to change very much.

Once again, Bledsoe has shown us what he has to offer. It hasn't been good enough.

Nothing personal, Drew, but don't let the door hit you on the way out.

You're right Pete...Plus, Folks...The days of bashing this O-Line like they are High School calibre are long gone...Granted it's not the best unit in the NFL, and hopefully TD can improve the Line futher this Off Season...But it's far from the worst Line in the League either...The big "Pressure" play today had nothing to do with the O-Line and everything to do with a well designed Blitz that caught the Bills with one fewer player to block than the Steelers sent...The biggest killer today in the Blocking area was a brain fart by a WR...Even without the Bills best OG, there were some big holes opened for Willis today, so let's give the O-line a well deserved break for once...

Whether it was the Play Calling or DB today the truth is this was a Defense that none other than much maligned Eli Manning disected a couple weeks back. And the Bills had few answers, even though they were playing vs. the 2nd Team for the majority of the Game...And quite frankly if there was a single play that cost the Bills this Game it was the Fumble by Bledsoe that was returned for a TD...A play in which Bledsoe held the ball for a tick too long and stood firm in the pocket...DB's critics know plenty about his faults, and his two most glaring faults might have cost the Bills a Playoff birth in a single Play...

Admittedly Bledsoe played well at times to get the Bills to the brink of the Playoffs before todays Game...But I don't think the Bledsoe Backers can point to further improvements on the O-Line as an opportunity to possibly improve DB's Game further...Drew is what he is...And the question is not whether the Bills can improve the play at QB, because that much is obviously true...The question is whether or not JP gives them that improvement, and if not will there be a better option than Bledsoe available this coming Off Season...

189023[/snapback]

Ding Ding Ding !

Another winner today !

third great post of the day !

It all starts at CENTER... A stud CENTER!

189009[/snapback]

Now I will agree with you here. I believe the C position is even more important than a good LT. Most QBs can deal with some pressure to their sides, but a pass rush up the middle usually presents a major problem for a QB as he can't step into his throws. In addition, I think a good C is a necessity for a consistent ground game as well.

Who would consider a better lineman on those Pats teams then what we have now?  As far as I am concerned Villereal, Jennings and Williams are solid, as is Marcus Price and Trey Teague.  Please give me a few names for those old Pats lines that you consider better

188895[/snapback]

Now Sue needs to go do her homework before she posts! Haven't seen a response to this one yet. Ouch.

Now I will agree with you here.  I believe the C position is even more important than a good LT.  Most QBs can deal with some pressure to their sides,  but a pass rush up the middle usually presents a major problem for a QB as he can't step into his throws.  In addition,  I think a good C is a necessity for a consistent ground game as well.

189126[/snapback]

That's what I've thought to myself for the past few years. Teague does not support the shape of the pocket very well at all, and very often is the source of the problem in pass blocking. Heck, I wanted the center out of Notre Dame (Jeff Faines?) that went to Cleveland. I don't know how this draft looks for "true centers" i.e. not converted tackles or guards, but it might be worth a second or third rounder.

I still can't understand how some people still refuse to see the glaring truth that keeps smacking them in the face time and time again and still they think "Maybe next time it won't hurt."

Losing Bledsoe is addition by subtraction. No matter who lines up under center besides Bledsoe will be an improvement simply because they are fresh and would offer something different.