[please fix subject]TJ Graham

On draft night everyone was ready to kill over the TJ pick. It does not look like a miss however much like Spiller (yes I get the positional need thing). At the end of the day Buddy and his scouts are on it and I billieve in them.

Super speed and athleticism never hurt anyone, unless your a diminutive DE named Maybin

"Let's not start sucking each other's **** just yet."

TJ looked comfortable out there Thursday night and didn't appear to be in awe of the environment, but it's certainly too early to draw any definitive conclusions about his future with the Bills.

My hope for Graham is that he becomes that legitimate threat on the outside this offense really needs to open up the short and middle routes. It was a nice first look.

Edited by eball

Besides the fact he short armed a pass over the middle, he really does look impressive

It's pre-season, and that was probably the smart thing to do. Nothing is lamer than getting seriously injured in your first exhibition game, not even short arming a pass over the middle during your first exhibition game.

He really stood out, and he outclassed the 2nd team guys he was playing with and against.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

TJ looked comfortable out there Thursday night and didn't appear to be in awe of the environment, but it's certainly too early to draw any definitive conclusions about his future with the Bills.

My hope for Graham is that he becomes that legitimate threat on the outside this offense really needs to open up the short and middle routes. It was a nice first look.

In fact, I think the conventional wisdom that one should see at least 3 years results before drawing a real conclusion is the right thing here (after two years the results clearly showed Moulds to be a bust but he then went on to become clearly the best athlete on the team and a legit perennial Pro Bowl WR, Likewise Mike Williams had an impressive rookie season but it became clear when he reacted so poorly to the second season death of the grandmother who raised him as a soon that he actually was a bust despite good reviews his first year).

TJ might be the first year performer we all want based on his performance so far (next to nothing in reality after one pre-season game) and though we may all have comments as he goes along none will be legit conclusions until after 3 years of data.

In fact, I think the conventional wisdom that one should see at least 3 years results before drawing a real conclusion is the right thing here (after two years the results clearly showed Moulds to be a bust but he then went on to become clearly the best athlete on the team and a legit perennial Pro Bowl WR, Likewise Mike Williams had an impressive rookie season but it became clear when he reacted so poorly to the second season death of the grandmother who raised him as a soon that he actually was a bust despite good reviews his first year).

TJ might be the first year performer we all want based on his performance so far (next to nothing in reality after one pre-season game) and though we may all have comments as he goes along none will be legit conclusions until after 3 years of data.

Definitely can agree that three years of data will dictate the overall success of the pick/ TJ, but there are mid-round WR's (Tim Dwight comes to mind) that have come out of the box flying and haven't looked back. Not imagining that TJ shows that well in his first season, but I believe that players 1st year success can often offer a good measuring stick to judge their future by.

TJ looked good against the second teamers and all reports have the coaches being happy with his progress, work ethic and character. I hope to see him progress to being top 4 on the chart. Right now, he's probably sitting behind Stevie, Jones, Nelson and Hagan.

again...who is gonna get him the ball? its gonna have to be mainly yds after the catch

Vanilla game plan ... first preseason game ... not in against the best ...

BUT, for the naysayers perhaps it has you second guessing your messages on draft night.

In the wide receiver shuffle, it's clear that TJ already had an advantage since he was part of this year's draft class but the comments from Gailey, the reports and video from camp, and yes, the first preseason game all seem to show that this kid is working hard to pick up a very difficult Bills' offense and succeeding.

I still think Jones has hold of the number two slot but Graham comes is as the fourth receiver.

So, a quick look at who is making the team and who is going to be out looking, which pretty much matches the current depth chart:

ON THE ROSTER

Stevie

Nelson

Jones

Graham

FIGHTING IT OUT FOR ONE or TWO SLOTS

Hagan

Easely (his time is probably up)

Roosevelt (he just seems to catch anything thrown to him but I know that he is a long shot)

Martin (I do not like him as a receiver but once again in Preseason Game One he showed he has ST skills

GET SOME WINGS in your FREEZER

Aikin (That lack of effort block on Thursday might be the end ... when you are at the bottom at least try hard.)

Clowney

Session

Yeah, clearly Fitz does not have the arm strength to throw the long ball to Graham :wallbash:

Fitz can let it rip with a lil time and good weather IMO....I remember Fitz throwing a deep ball to Spiller that wasn't caught...I won't say he's super accurate but with time in the pocket he can let it rip to a degree.

BUT, for the naysayers perhaps it has you second guessing your messages on draft night.

In the wide receiver shuffle, it's clear that TJ already had an advantage since he was part of this year's draft class but the comments from Gailey, the reports and video from camp, and yes, the first preseason game all seem to show that this kid is working hard to pick up a very difficult Bills' offense and succeeding.

I still think Jones has hold of the number two slot but Graham comes is as the fourth receiver.

So, a quick look at who is making the team and who is going to be out looking, which pretty much matches the current depth chart:

ON THE ROSTER

Stevie

Nelson

Jones

Graham

Hagan

Roosevelt (he just seems to catch anything thrown to him but I know that he is a long shot)

Martin (I do not like him as a receiver but once again in Preseason Game One he showed he has ST skills

Aikin (That lack of effort block on Thursday might be the end ... when you are at the bottom at least try hard.)

Clowney

Session

Easley needs to get a shot when VYs not the QB, he looked decent from what I saw.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Fitz can let it rip with a lil time and good weather IMO....I remember Fitz throwing a deep ball to Spiller that wasn't caught...I won't say he's super accurate but with time in the pocket he can let it rip to a degree.

You don't have to be super accurate when throwing the deep ball to Graham. As long as you don't underthrow him (ala Thigpen). You can over-throw him by 15-20 yards and he has the speed to catch up to those balls.

Easley needs to get a shot when VYs not the QB, he looked decent from what I saw.

I agree--- Easley looked to grab passes thrown to him with authority, IMHO. He looked as aggressive in the Redskins game as he has in the training camp highlights I've seen or as he did working with the 1st team in preseason last year. I'd like to see him get more 1st team reps this preseason before I give up on him.

ON THE ROSTER

Stevie

Nelson

Jones

Graham

Hagan

Clowney

Session

Hagen probably has a slot based on the comments of Chan after todays practice.

If the list of 'locks' is as follows, then could the Bills keep both Easley and Martin (for special teams work) totalling 7 WRs? 7 seems like a slightly unmanageable number:

Stevie

Nelson

Jones

Graham

Hagan

Easley

Martin

Edited by Punch

If I'm the GM, barring any serious injuries, acquisitions, or off-the-field stuff, I've got:

Stevie

Nelson

Graham

Easley

Jones

and that's it for WR. I hate to see Roosevelt go, and even though Hagan has had a pretty good camp, neither have been consistently good enough to push any of the above guys out, IMO. Jones is the bubble guy for me. The best things he's got going for him is his knowledge of the offense and his dedication as a downfield blocker. I believe Easley has much more raw talent than Jones (key word: raw), and with a little more experience, he can make a name for himself as a solid option in an offense that spreads the ball around.

5 pure WRs would seem low for many/most teams, but consider the other viable receiving threats: FJ, CJ, Chandler, Brad Smith and Dorin Dickerson (assuming DD sticks). Each of those guys can and have lined up outside and/or in the slot.

So, in this scenario, the Bills have 10 guys than can serve the purpose of a WR, even if that isn't their primary role, or how they line up on the field. Last year, IIRC, the Bills motioned a player out of the backfield to a receiver spot on the line more often than any other team.

The question in my mind is, would you rather have a 6th or 7th pure WR, or an additional player at another position?

I can see the Bills keeping 6, even if I wouldn't. If they do, I think Hagan gets the nod. Of course, there's still time for players to make more of a case for themselves.

Remember, if there is some unlikely rash of injuries to the WRs, the roster can be adjusted during the season. It's likely a few of the fringe guys will be available or on the practice squad if it comes down to it.

That said, I think I'm going to have to sit down and try my hand at a full 53 man roster and see if I don't change my own mind. ;)