Xenith Helmets

The future of Football Helmets is here:

"Xenith has developed a unique, patented system called Xenith Adaptive Head Protection® which features an adaptive fit system and adaptive air-cell shock absorbers. This system adapts to the head for the best fit and comfort possible, and adapts to the hit in order to reduce the sudden movement of the head during impact.

Xenith Adaptive Head Protection is found in Xenith’s football and baseball helmets, which have been worn by over 100,000 athletes at all ages and levels of play."

http://www.xenith.com/

I remember reading in article once that players have an option as which helmet to use. Many newer "safer" ones are available. But many of the players don't choose those because they're not as comfortable or something.

I'm all for better helmet technology. But I do have to wonder if they developed a helmet that would protect the head from concussion better, that many player would bring the lumber even more since there's less chance of they themselves getting hurt.

I remember reading in article once that players have an option as which helmet to use. Many newer "safer" ones are available. But many of the players don't choose those because they're not as comfortable or something.

I'm all for better helmet technology. But I do have to wonder if they developed a helmet that would protect the head from concussion better, that many player would bring the lumber even more since there's less chance of they themselves getting hurt.

Yes. Some of the players were using lower-rated helmets out of habit or because of the way they look.

As much as I don't like too many rules being imposed from above, the NFL has to mandate the use of superior products in order to protect the players and the league.

As for your last point, it is true that as protective equipment has improved, so has the level of violence and physicality. This is true in every sport.

However I really don't think the NFL players could play with any more force at this point.

Better equipment and continued enforcement of the new rules seems like the only answers to the head trauma issue.

Bring back leather helmets- seriously I remember reading articles that said the NFL pretends that football helmets, shoulder pads, etc are defensive in nature but they are really offensive in nature- they know that soft pads would limit some injuries but they don't make that satisfying thud sound on impact and you'd end up with ratings like rugby.

Bring back leather helmets- seriously I remember reading articles that said the NFL pretends that football helmets, shoulder pads, etc are defensive in nature but they are really offensive in nature- they know that soft pads would limit some injuries but they don't make that satisfying thud sound on impact and you'd end up with ratings like rugby.

Is ….lybob an abbreviation for Sillybob? :)

I know what you're saying but do you truly believe that going back to leather helmets (which didn't have face guards) would make the game safer?

"The 1920s marked the first time in the sport of football that the idea of protection and a helmet started to be used. These helmets were made of leather and had padding and cushioning on the inside. Although better than no helmet at all, the helmets used in this time were almost completely useless. These particular “Leather Lids” absorbed a lot of heat making it very uncomfortable to wear.[1] The helmet barely protected the player from a full contact hit because there was not enough padding. The huge problem with this early helmet was that it had no face mask at all. Players had their full face exposed at all times while being tackled at full speed, making injuries very prevalent. 1917 marked the first time that helmets raised above the head to try and direct blows away from the top of the head. This technique started to be used because too many players got critically hurt because the padding used was not thick enough to protect from the devastating blows. Ear flaps also had their downfall as they were not created for ventilation and manufacturers realized the problem with communication on the field[1] One of the biggest innovations of this early 1900 period came in the form of hardened leather."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_helmet#Development

i remember when rawlings claimed theyve developed the most save helmet. back in the 80s. one of the worst helmets ever

and i like these new riddels. look like imperial stormtrooper helmets

but if these xeniths are really better im all for it

Riddell gets the logo visibility on-field but the athletes have their individual preferences available to wear. There are multiple models worn across a variety of helmet suppliers including Riddell, Schutt, Air, Xenith, etc.

Thanks for the update

Interesting article. The majority of NFL players wear the Riddell Revolution series (the 360 and the Revo Speed) that came out a few years back. They replaced the older style helmets that had a foam interior with a full gel interior. You can also customize them to the players head alot better than the old style.

I have a good friend who sells Riddell in the mid-atlantic region, so he's assigned to the Ravens, Redskins, Eagles, and a bunch of D-1 Universities as well. He said that most teams now really push their players to this style since they are so much safer. Even the high schools that have some money are starting to buy these to help cut down on head injuries.

The 360 is sick. I've tried these on a few times, and the difference is night and day when comparing the newer helmets to the older ones that most grew up with. You can shake your head as violently as you can, and it literally will not move when its fitted to your head properly.

Other brands like Rawlings, Schutt, etc are options, but he said that Riddell has about a 95% stranglehold on the NFL and about 85% of D-1 schools. Penn State was actually one of the bigger Universities that have used Schutt, but they're account was just assigned to him now, so they'll be in Riddell this year for the first time ever.

It'll be interesting to see if the Xenith will be able to break into the market with this one.

I feel like this is going to cause a stir in the future. Players wanted to wear the old, less protective helmets because of the comfort factor and then end up trying to sue the league later on because of concussion/brain damages.

The fact the league is trying new technology to help protect the players will cover their @sses but that never stopped anyone from suing anyone before.

Is ….lybob an abbreviation for Sillybob? :)

I know what you're saying but do you truly believe that going back to leather helmets (which didn't have face guards) would make the game safer?

"The 1920s marked the first time in the sport of football that the idea of protection and a helmet started to be used. These helmets were made of leather and had padding and cushioning on the inside. Although better than no helmet at all, the helmets used in this time were almost completely useless. These particular “Leather Lids” absorbed a lot of heat making it very uncomfortable to wear.[1] The helmet barely protected the player from a full contact hit because there was not enough padding. The huge problem with this early helmet was that it had no face mask at all. Players had their full face exposed at all times while being tackled at full speed, making injuries very prevalent. 1917 marked the first time that helmets raised above the head to try and direct blows away from the top of the head. This technique started to be used because too many players got critically hurt because the padding used was not thick enough to protect from the devastating blows. Ear flaps also had their downfall as they were not created for ventilation and manufacturers realized the problem with communication on the field[1] One of the biggest innovations of this early 1900 period came in the form of hardened leather."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_helmet#Development

Tonawanda High School played with leather helmets, with face masks well into the 1960s.

The 360 is sick. I've tried these on a few times, and the difference is night and day when comparing the newer helmets to the older ones that most grew up with. You can shake your head as violently as you can, and it literally will not move when its fitted to your head properly.

That's nice and all but until they invent something that prevents your brain from moving inside your head, it doesn't matter how nice your helmet fits. It won't do jack to prevent concussions.

GO BILLS!!!

That's nice and all but until they invent something that prevents your brain from moving inside your head, it doesn't matter how nice your helmet fits. It won't do jack to prevent concussions.

GO BILLS!!!

That is true enough but the shell that is hardened is definitely going to stop a skull fracture. I have read quite a bit about motorcycle helmets and the newest technology has small airbag type things to prevent banging around inside the helmet or the best IMO a skin on the outside this article explains it better than I could. http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2010-04/straight-ahead

Edited by bowery4