Bruce Smith Joining Concussion Lawsuit

BRAWNDO

Uh, Reggie White died of complications possibly attributed to sleep apnea.

And before some wise guy idiot posts the video, Bruce did faint while on a TV set.

But I never heard that Bruce had sleep apnea.

Anyways, the lawsuit is up to over 2700 players. As I've said many times in this forum, there are many classes of players in this lawsuit. and many individuals/outlyers/unique cases within each class. Don't paint them all with one brush.

Except that they all expect to cash in at some level. Just sayin'.

I know he never got one in training camp.

Bruce always had a knack for big paydays. This lawsuit is getting a little tedious.

Can programmers now sue their former employers because the majority of them have carpel tunnel based on poor ergonomics in the 70's and 80's? The employers certainly knew.

Examples of job hazards in almost any profession/sport has too be a mile long. Granted concussions over a career can make for a really poor life as the athlete ages, but this looks like a money grab by some of the participants. The end result could be a a sport that doesn't even resemble the current NFL, if they banned any hit by leading with the head. Maybe the running game would become popular again?

I know for a fact that California is settling Workers Comp cases right now left and right for guys who played at least a single game out there during a period of time. I work with an ex Bill/ ex Falcon who played out there in the 70s and 80's. A friend of his, a kicker, just got 150K. My friend was a defensive end that played numerous cases out there and is thinking he will settle for 200k+. He is also part of the concussion lawsuit.

He is a friend so i have mixed emotions when i talk/think about this subject. On one hand i think the ex players deserve treatment and the NFL should pay for it. On the other hand you wonder if this could bankrupt the game we love??

I know for a fact that California is settling Workers Comp cases right now left and right for guys who played at least a single game out there during a period of time. I work with an ex Bill/ ex Falcon who played out there in the 70s and 80's. A friend of his, a kicker, just got 150K. My friend was a defensive end that played numerous cases out there and is thinking he will settle for 200k+. He is also part of the concussion lawsuit.

He is a friend so i have mixed emotions when i talk/think about this subject. On one hand i think the ex players deserve treatment and the NFL should pay for it. On the other hand you wonder if this could bankrupt the game we love??

Short of nobody ever again paying for the rights to broadcast games, there is absolutely NO CHANCE this will happen.

GO BILLS!!!

And see, that's where I TOTALLY DISAGREE.

Just this week Emmitt Smith and Troy Polamalu admitted to hiding their concussions so that they could re-enter games. Good luck to each of these players in attempting to join this lawsuit. They've admitted a large amount of responsibility for future loss of brain function.

Now keep in mind Smith played from 1990 to 2004 while Troy started his career in 2003. This is what I mean by them being in different classes… the level of disclosure and acknowledgement of head injuries by the NFL was very different for each of these players.

Then you probably have hundreds of players in this lawsuit who have zero amount of brain damage who are trying to cash in.

Then you have hundreds of players who were misled by the NFL and are right now suffering from substantial loss of brain function.

Remember former NFL Concussion Czar Elliott Pellman?:

"The NFL did not formally begin to investigate the issue until 1994, when the league formed its Committee on Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. Heading the group? Former New York Jets team doctor Elliot Pellman. Not a neurologist. A rheumatologist. A man who claimed in his biographical material that he had a medical degree from the State University of New York at Stony Brook, when in fact he reportedly attended medical school in Guadalajara, Mexico. A man who shared the following moment with concussed Jets receiver Wayne Chrebet during a 2003 game against the New York Giants, later detailed by ESPN writer Peter Keating in a chilling magazine article:

"There's going to be some controversy about you going back to play." Elliot Pellman looks Wayne Chrebet in the eye in the fourth quarter of a tight game ... A knee to the back of the head knocked Chrebet stone-cold unconscious a quarter earlier, and now the Jets' team doctor is putting the wideout through a series of mental tests. Pellman knows Chrebet has suffered a concussion, but the player is performing adequately on standard memory exercises.

"This is very important for you," the portly physician tells the local hero, as was later reported in the New York Daily News. "This is very important for your career." Then he asks, "Are you okay?"

When Chrebet replies, "I'm fine," Pellman sends him back in.

Appearing on HBO's "Inside the NFL" that same year (2003), Pellman flatly dismissed a study linking multiple concussions with depression among former players. Months later, Pellman and his colleagues produced a paper stating that there was "no evidence" that concussions produced "permanent or cumulative" damage; in 2006, they published a summary of their work to date, declaring "mild traumatic brain injuries" -- read: concussions -- "in professional football are not serious injuries."

Don't paint them all with one brush, Nanker.

Arnold's workmans comp reform in Ca. changed the whole landscape. Although I find it very hard to believe it's possible they are settling for what many would consider outrageous amounts of money. Remember you have to be classified as disabled to get a workers comp settlement.Your settlement is based on your percentage of disability. Then if you get 200+K in a settlement,(a lot of which maybe in a medical set aside) and continue to be part of the class action suit you will be required to payback every penny of the comp settlement when the class action suit settles. Medical set asides which may account for these high settlements are placed in an escrow account and are not personal monies. Every friggin penny needs to be accounted for (required by medicare) and 200K doesn't buy you much with traumatic head injuries that may in the future would include hospital stays, surgeries, meds, etc.

As a resident of SE Virginia, Bruces DUIs make the news every time. I imagine the cost of hiring a driver has taken its toll on his bank account. He probably does need money.

I dont have much sympathy for the concussion lawsuit crowd. So I'm supposed to believe that they all assumed they'd never get hurt playing a game where a helmet and padding is required? Kind of like cigarette smokers who never thought inhaling smoke would be harmful.

I like Bruce personally and I respect football players because they are willing to sacrifice their bodies for their profit and our entertainment. But when I get into a car, I accept the risk of an accident as a possibilty. When professional football players strap on their pads and helmet, they are aware of possible consequences.

"… making him the 22nd Hall of Famer to do so, according to Washington Times reporter Nathan Fenno… "As a result of the head trauma suffered during his playing career, Bruce Smith suffers from symptoms associated with multiple traumatic brain injury and CTE."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/07/report-bruce-smith-joins-concussion-litigation.html