A question about Canadian bridge wait times

theesir

My wife and I used to regularly go to NOTL for a nice afternoon during the summer or fall. A few years back, traffic at the boarder became insane and after a 2 hour wait to come home once we gave up on going. Its been a while an we would like to go back, but are still living in fear of a possible huge wait at the border.

Do any of you regularly head over to Canada anymore? Has the bridge time improved? Am I just being paranoid?

I remember as a youngster heading over to Fort Erie just to have Chinese food and come home.... it seems so long ago.

Should have a passport... Well actually they say you HAVE to. We just went over the Rainbow without them at Christmas... Seems Canadian customs let's you float right in... Getting back is when we were read the riot act. What, they won't let me back into my own country... We had Id. If you wanna go, probably best to take the path of least resistance and have a passport... But if Canada let's you in with "country of origin" only question... Plead ignorant on the way back.

Anway... I wasn't sure if they laxed up the rules when we went... So I figured I could ask in Duty Free... Anway, it is only one way in... So you gotta cross the border... I played that angle up when coming back to the indignant American border agent... He seemed livid at the Canadians... Heck, ONT only wants my money too.

Wait times were a breeze at the Rainbow... In and out in a couple of minutes.

Just swim it like Fan in San Diego.

LoL

Wow... I still can't fathom ever attempting to do something like that unless you are Johnny Weissmuller... And I bet he wouldn't have tried it... I think the image of the sunken scow would have slapped him back to reality.

Just had a crazy drunk dude some years ago attempt to swim across the river to the lock wall from the bar/marina... Now that is taking your life in your hands... Not because it is a hard swim, but a toxic swim!

I am aware of the passport requirement, my wife and I both always travel with them. My real question was whether not folks are still encountering long wait times coming back into the states on the weekend.

I am aware of the passport requirement, my wife and I both always travel with them. My real question was whether not folks are still encountering long wait times coming back into the states on the weekend.

I suppose it is hit an miss... We had no problem except the riot act bit about passports. Probably depends when and where you go over.

The passport thing is just plain silly... With computers, you'd think they could link Canada to all the DMV's in the country. It wasn't like we didn't have ID, car registration, etc.. etc..

I can't speak for which bridge is best these

days. On Monday after the home opener

in 2010, Aussiew and I took a drive up to

Niagra on the Lake. Each of us had our

passports. On return to the US, we were

asked the usual questions. When the guy

saw that I was from the Dallas Fort Worth

he remarked "no wonder we lost yesterday

your from Dallas".

I went up to Crystal Beach last weekend and had minimal wait on both sides. They have websites and phone numbers that give you updates on how the lines are.

LQ bridge has the smallest amount of lanes, usually won't have all lanes open, and is the bridge most Canadian shoppers use. During tourist season Rainbow can back up too as people want to get right into DT Niagara Falls, but they're usually good about keeping a good deal of lanes open and moving people along quickly. LQ seems to have more secondary inspections and long stops than the others, IMO.