Can we, Will we use our TE's more?

I am a stat geek, which explains my love for the draft, and my current boredom, actually.

Some interesting stats about our most-unused offensive position from the bowels of PFF:

Buffalo's four TE's last year combined for a 93% "thrown at-caught percentage", by far the best combined percentage in the league. Chandler was thrown at 43 times, and caught 38 of those. Brock and Lee Smith combined for 100% (6 for 6). Caussin caught 5 of 6.

Brock leads all TE's in YAC after reception with 18.5 yards. Only 3 TE's are in double figures (Gronk's is 7.1).

I'd like to see us use our TE's more, and I hope Metzelaars says as much in offensive meetings. They don't drop what's thrown at them.

I am a stat geek, which explains my love for the draft, and my current boredom, actually.

Some interesting stats about our most-unused offensive position from the bowels of PFF:

Buffalo's four TE's last year combined for a 93% "thrown at-caught percentage", by far the best combined percentage in the league. Chandler was thrown at 43 times, and caught 38 of those. Brock and Lee Smith combined for 100% (6 for 6). Caussin caught 5 of 6.

Brock leads all TE's in YAC after reception with 18.5 yards. Only 3 TE's are in double figures (Gronk's is 7.1).

I'd like to see us use our TE's more, and I hope Metzelaars says as much in offensive meetings. They don't drop what's thrown at them.

Note to Ryan throw to TEs every play!!

Edited by BRAWNDO

Where do these guys fit in though? I am fairly certain Dickerson will not be a "TE." Onubun may be a PS'er.

Causin, Smith, and Chandler are our TE's. I cannot imagine us going with 4TE's, though, Smith is an extension of the OL. Ah, even without the meds my head gets wrapped in this. This is harder to pick then the DL.

A lot of it is who is in the game, how the plays are designed. Then, even if we have Chandler, Brock, or Dickerson - the better catching TE's - in the play, and he gets open, Fitzpatrick has to be willing to throw it that way, and not already have his mind set on Stevie, or Nelson - a lot of times with Gailey it seems like the plays are designed to go to the WR's.

Because of that, and because we run so well out of the 3 and 4 WR sets, and because our TE's aren't well known or respected, necessarily, around the league, these guys are getting open. I think the biggest thing with TE's, especially when they show they can catch the ball reliably, is just being willing to use them. They're like running backs in a way, the more they get into the game, the better they get into it.

So, yeah - I think we have enough athletically in our TE's - Dickerson, Onobun, and Brock are all athletic enough to be weapons offensively, and even Chandler can be used as a weapon, he's fast enough to run 15 to 20 yards and he's big enough and able handed enough to jump up, separate from the defender, and catch the ball. It doesn't have to be pretty. Gailey just has to plan for it more.

Two of those guys COMBINED for 6 targets. One of which was 4 catches for 11 yards - no drops on those 4 seperate 2.5 yard passes? The others 2 for 2 were both behind the line of scrimmage.

Between sample size and context I would hope a stat geek would see how meaningless those numbers are.

Awesome - a guy with 2 catches had a better YAC than a guy that had 50 times the touches.

Go ahead and talk chandler but the rest is worthless.

I would love to use our TE's more. Especially with our potent backfield. I really don't see 2 tight ends on the team now that could accomplish it though. I'm thinking more like Bellicheat uses his though.I hope Chandler progresses, but he needs work, blocking for one thing.

Maybe Metz really can do something here. It would be a great story.

i don't know who brock is or where he came from. i don't know brock's first name. i don't know how long he's been on the bills. in fact, i didn't even know he was on the team up until about 5 minutes ago.

that said, chan would be a fool not to design every single play around brock. he's a game changer. extrapolate his 100% completion rate across 16 games and you get a...100% completion rate. boo-yah!

Where do these guys fit in though? I am fairly certain Dickerson will not be a "TE." Onubun may be a PS'er.

Causin, Smith, and Chandler are our TE's. I cannot imagine us going with 4TE's, though, Smith is an extension of the OL. Ah, even without the meds my head gets wrapped in this. This is harder to pick then the DL.

Do you really think Caussin will stick, jboyst? Care to share what you're thinking?

I've been under-impressed from what I've seen and would like to see both Corey Mac and Dickerson kept first.

Two of those guys COMBINED for 6 targets. One of which was 4 catches for 11 yards - no drops on those 4 seperate 2.5 yard passes? The others 2 for 2 were both behind the line of scrimmage.

Between sample size and context I would hope a stat geek would see how meaningless those numbers are.

Awesome - a guy with 2 catches had a better YAC than a guy that had 50 times the touches.

Go ahead and talk chandler but the rest is worthless.

Did you even watch the Bills in the early 90's??? Do you realize how many catches our TEs had every year as compared to 2011? Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, James Lofton, and Don Beebe got their receptions, and yet Metz managed to have 60+ balls thrown his way.

It is a vital part of an offense that we are neglecting, and the point is a valid one!

Edited by BmoreBills

Do you really think Caussin will stick, jboyst? Care to share what you're thinking?

I've been under-impressed from what I've seen and would like to see both Corey Mac and Dickerson kept first.

I think we are more likely to keep a pass catcher then an OL. We willhave 3 OL on PS I bet.

Did you even watch the Bills in the early 90's??? Do you realize how many catches our TEs had every year as compared to 2011? Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, James Lofton, and Don Beebe got their receptions, and yet Metz managed to have 60+ balls thrown his way.

It is a vital part of an offense that we are neglecting, and the point is a valid one!

sure can be a valid point but to say that a guy that had 2 catches behind the line of scrimmage and no drops exhibits proof that we have the talent to use him more... not so much a valid way to back it up.

I never remotely implied there werent balls to go around - heck i watch the new orleans offense weekly as well. i get what a TE can do.

4-4 for 11 yards does not prove good hands

2-2 behind the line with one long run after the catch does not prove YAC ability.

the sample size is entirely too small to be meaningful, and the stats are frankly laughable as support that these guys need the ball thrown their way more.

the only relevant stat there is that beyond our number 1 guy there were only about 12 targets which seems pretty low to me given the way our offense ran. my point in the last post was he focused on entirely the wrong thing to make his argument.

Edited by NoSaint

the only relevant stat there is that beyond our number 1 guy there were only about 12 targets which seems pretty low to me given the way our offense ran. my point in the last post was he focused on entirely the wrong thing to make his argument.

Gotcha... but the numbers that do count show a lack of TE use that hurts us going forward- imagine the plays we can run if you scrap the wildcat and trick play nonsense (save the end around with Graham possibly?) and more use of the TEs.

Gotcha... but the numbers that do count show a lack of TE use that hurts us going forward- imagine the plays we can run if you scrap the wildcat and trick play nonsense (save the end around with Graham possibly?) and more use of the TEs.

i dont think the answer is run less throw more.

i think people are far too hung up on the wildcat. honestly the way to get more touches to the position will be to make sure we convert on third downs, and stop more third downs and then hopefully find a real #2 guy at the position.

i dont think the answer is run less throw more.

i think people are far too hung up on the wildcat. honestly the way to get more touches to the position will be to make sure we convert on third downs, and stop more third downs and then hopefully find a real #2 guy at the position.

^ This ^

The offense does a nice job of spreading out the defense and making things happen all ready. I agree that a little less trickery and a little more "in your face" type plays are in order. When you send a TE out there to catch the ball, you send someone out there that likes the contact after the catch. When you send Fredex on a running play and he's breaking tackles, the opposing defense is trying to find a way to stop the inevitable. Trickery sends the message that I can't beat you unless I fool you.

Play an in your face game and your opponent is the one who has to rely on trickery to beat you. More TEs and more running...that's what I want.

Edited by Rockinon

How about Caussin on IR, Dickerson in, Onubun on PS?