Michael Floyd called out by Larry Fitzgerald

In the over-reaction department, these were indeed personal workouts with Fitz, and not team workouts. Floyd was there today and apparently "killed it" with Fitz, with Floyd leading the workouts, and squatted over 400. It's possible, according to the writer of the blurb, that Fitzgerald was just messing with Floyd all along. Even if it was to motivate it, Floyd is lucky to have Fitzgerald there.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/10/michael-floyd-gets-back-to-work-after-fitzgerald-calls-him-out/

I also would bet anything that there is not a rookie WR in the entire league doing the workouts that Floyd is doing, as Fitzgibbons is known for the Jerry Rice workouts that few players did, as noted above.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it silly to compare one young WR prospect to another? They are peers, of course you would compare the two and the two will be compared to each other throughout their careers.

Yes the SEC is the best conference in College Football and basically operates as minor League for the NFL.

However there are NFL players that come from other conferences and in this case no conference at all.

ND doesn't play with themselves. They played USC, Pittsburgh, Florida State, Florida, Boston College and Michigan State amongst others all of which have actually defenses that all knew the ND offense was going to look for Michael Floyd early and often, yet Michael Floyd still produced. Thats what GMs look at, and one of the reasons why Michael Floyd was the 13th player taken in the NFL draft.

First of all AJ Green has already proven he can play in the NFL. Floyd so far is showing why despite his measurables he went at 13. Also the caliber of opponents ND plays is nothing compared to the SEC.

I personally have nothing against Floyd, and since he plays is the NFC West i hope he has a great career. The Bills want team guys. That is who they draft and who they sign in FA. Floyd thus far in his very early career is not showing that behavior.

How long do you think it takes Floyd to have the same season Green just had? 65 rec over 1000yds and 7 td.His JR and senior yr in college he had slightly better seasons then Greens rookie year in the NFL.

Barring an injury Floyd will never have near the same career Green does. No crystal ball needed.

First of all AJ Green has already proven he can play in the NFL. Floyd so far is showing why despite his measurables he went at 13. Also the caliber of opponents ND plays is nothing compared to the SEC.

I personally have nothing against Floyd, and since he plays is the NFC West i hope he has a great career. The Bills want team guys. That is who they draft and who they sign in FA. Floyd thus far in his very early career is not showing that behavior.

How long do you think it takes Floyd to have the same season Green just had? 65 rec over 1000yds and 7 td.His JR and senior yr in college he had slightly better seasons then Greens rookie year in the NFL.

Barring an injury Floyd will never have near the same career Green does. No crystal ball needed.

Why isn't GRAHAM doing something similar ... wait RALPH's too cheap ... couldn't get him signed on time ... the world is coming to an end ... Michael Floyd missed a voluntary workout with another player who just might be using 'sarcasm' ... oh my oh no ...

Trash talk to Twitter? Right. And the DWI reference was an attempt at humor, right? Im not going to draw any conclutions as to what prompted the tweet, but I didn't get the feeling it was to be taken as humor.

Have you been in a locker room before?

I think its far less serious than you're taking it. It looks like locker room ribbing put on twitter. Than nit twits overreact.

Like I said earlier I believe when history looks back at the 2012 draft, I believe, everyone will wonder how Floyd fell so far.

Lol. Well pro, no. Four years of football, baseball, and wrestling, in high school. Also, four years in college. Then I went on to work in small teams(very locker room like)in the Army. I tell you what. If any of the guys had said that to ME... Ok. But DWI on Twitter? From a guy that isn't know for that?

Your right about one thing. It's not serious. At all. It's football.

Are you a ND fan? You sound like me when I talk about my bills. A Homer!!!

I love when people ask that question. "Have you ever been in a locker room before"? Have you? How do I know ur telling the truth. Do I even really care?

Edited by JaxBills

What are you talking about?

You think Michael Floyd will never have a 1000 yards receiving and 7 TDs in a season?

That is pretty big stretch. You would need a crystal ball to make a statement like that.

I think most people think Michael Floyd will have multiple 1000 yard seasons.

I'll try to add something here.

I think Fitzgerald holds voluntary boot camp workouts a la Jerry Rice. I believe these workouts is what Floyd has been skipping.

Also Fitzgerald's tweet speaks loudly considering he was publicly in favor of the Cardinals drafting Floyd.

It's a wake-up call for Floyd. Fitzgerald is not an enabler. He'll be your friend… if you work hard… that's why he's one of the NFL's best.

My memory's of Rice's off season workouts during his super bowl years, were that they were SOLO affairs. His training routes were well known to all and mainly a lot of running in the hills. I really cannot remember rice mentoring anyone? Of course my memory has faded.

My take on a newly minted millionaire kid with previous drinking related offenses, doesn't necessarily mean the end of the world for him. Fitzgerald I think is simply lighting a fire under his ass. Also, Floyd no doubt had his tail between his legs and some explaining to do too LF.

Now, IMO Crabtree is a completely different story. The guy simply hasn't shown he has any sustainable NFL game. Judging by the niners off season receiver additions they may have figured it out too.

I'm glad the Bills won't fall victim to the Notre Dame bust.

This is one of the players I wanted Buddy Nix to stay far, far, far away from.

I'm with you man, and I'm a huge ND homer. I didn't go there, but about 10 uncles and cousins of mine did.

From a million miles away you could see the kind of character issues Buddy and Chan make a point to steer clear of.

My memory's of Rice's off season workouts during his super bowl years, were that they were SOLO affairs. His training routes were well known to all and mainly a lot of running in the hills. I really cannot remember rice mentoring anyone? Of course my memory has faded.

My take on a newly minted millionaire kid with previous drinking related offenses, doesn't necessarily mean the end of the world for him. Fitzgerald I think is simply lighting a fire under his ass. Also, Floyd no doubt had his tail between his legs and some explaining to do too LF.

Now, IMO Crabtree is a completely different story. The guy simply hasn't shown he has any sustainable NFL game. Judging by the niners off season receiver additions they may have figured it out too.

He made Ricky Waters work out with him, and T.O. Followed him around.

Crabtree is a story of size difference from College to NFL. Crabtree played like a big receiver in College when he came to the NFL he learned he wasn't. Same thing will happen to Blackmon imo who is almost the same exact size as Crabtree.

Crabtree haa shown signs he can play but he is more of a good to great second option than a game changing primary receiver as he was billed coming out of Texas Tech.

The Bills are holding voluntary rookie workouts right now. Perhaps the Cards are doing the same, and this is what Floyd is skipping.

Linky

BTW, the Bills are the first team to open their doors to voluntary rookie workouts and I'm surprised no one started a topic about it… especially considering how many people regularly complain when the Bills are not the first team to start training camp.

Attention: The Bills are the first of the 32 teams to open their doors to voluntary rookie workouts.

Rice used to work out with partners and many of those partners quit or spent short amounts of time working out with him.

Rice's hill running regimen was legendary and few players had the pain threshold and commitment to endure what Rice did.

In the over-reaction department, these were indeed personal workouts with Fitz, and not team workouts. Floyd was there today and apparently "killed it" with Fitz, with Floyd leading the workouts, and squatted over 400. It's possible, according to the writer of the blurb, that Fitzgerald was just messing with Floyd all along. Even if it was to motivate it, Floyd is lucky to have Fitzgerald there.

http://profootballta...-calls-him-out/

I also would bet anything that there is not a rookie WR in the entire league doing the workouts that Floyd is doing, as Fitzgibbons is known for the Jerry Rice workouts that few players did, as noted above.

From PFT:

"Whether Fitzgerald was seriously upset with Floyd for missing workouts or just playfully giving him a hard time, Floyd is lucky to have a veteran like Fitzgerald to show him the ropes. And he’d be wise not to miss many opportunities to work with Fitzgerald."

We don't know the exact motive behind Fitzgerald's tweet but I'm guessing it would fall under the category of playful but serious prodding.

Put differently, if Fitzgerald was joking, he was only half-joking.

What are you talking about?

You think Michael Floyd will never have a 1000 yards receiving and 7 TDs in a season?

That is pretty big stretch. You would need a crystal ball to make a statement like that.

I think most people think Michael Floyd will have multiple 1000 yard seasons.

I do not see it. Like i sai di hope the kid has a great career, honestly i do. I was mor eor less referring to he will not match or be in the same sentence as Green. Green had a shortened ROOKIE off season and was working with a rookie qb, and still put up those numbers.

I will go on record saying Floyd goes for half of what Green did. Around 500-600 yds and maybe 4 TD. Decent numbers for a rookie wide out. Also remember Floyd has what at qb? That is the other thing we are forgetting to mention.

Larry Fitzgerald‏ @LarryFitzgerald

Just finished another strong workout with @Wellefast. @MichaelMFloyd killed it 2day & led the group in all drills & squaded 400+. #beast

>@MichaelMFloyd killed it 2day & led the group in all drills & squaded 400+.

>squaded 400+.

>squaded

Fail.

Edited by jboyst62

Lots of conclusions being jumped to here.

Maybe Larry Fitzgerald is a jerk that Michael Floyd didn't want to spend everyday of this summer being around? Maybe LF is a condescending prick? Maybe Floyd had other important things going on? Maybe he is on crack?

I don't know, but I don't think it's cool for LF to publically call out Floyd at this point in the season...er, pre-season....er, voluntary, off-site, player-organized, summer-session workout camp season.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Lots of conclusions being jumped to here.

Maybe Larry Fitzgerald is a jerk that Michael Floyd didn't want to spend everyday of this summer being around? Maybe LF is a condescending prick? Maybe Floyd had other important things going on? Maybe he is on crack?

I don't know, but I don't think it's cool for LF to publically call out Floyd at this point in the season...er, pre-season....er, voluntary, off-site, player-organized, summer-session workout camp season.

It may not be cool, but it is Larry saying grow up now. To qoute Jerry Glanville 'N-F-L can stand for Not For Long.' Say what you want, but why isn't Floyd there. I am sure Larry made sure it was not because of a death or family emergency before he tweeted that. Larry seems like a class guy. He made his move on purpose. Floyd needs to realize the NFL is a way of life, that is why you get paid the way you do. You are always on the job. By this i mean, if a player goes to a club during the off season and has an altercation, it will directly affect his career. It will also affect his team.

'Cool' maybe not. But the right thing, yes.