What is a Bands/Individuals Signature Song?

millbank

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bbb: I was gonna also include Country Roads in there too... But made the exec decision to only go with one... Country Roads could be his sig for the East and Rock Mt. High for the west!

When the state of WV uses the motto: "Almost Heaven"... You know you gotta a sig on your hands!

Speaking of NY... BIlly Joel: My Life or Virginia... Honorable mention for the NYS crowd: NY State of mind.

Kiss- I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night

Bob Dylan- Like a Rolling Stone

Aretha Franklin- Respect

The Doors- Light My Fire

Lynyrd Skynyrd- Freebird

Black Sabbath- Ironman

Marvin Gaye- Lets Get It On

Al Green- Lets Stay Together

You totally get the concept!

[quickly goes and edits the wiki page to match my selection]

LOL, I do love Same Old Lang Syne. I also love Leader of the Band, and played it all the time after my father died........Longer sucks!

My father now was partial to Jim Morrison and the Doors.

The Doors I would say: Riders on the Storm.

??

Just get in an elevator and you'll hear The Doors' signature sounds. <_<

Like EII said, it's not a popularity contest. It is a song that most people would recognize, at least I think. Therefore, Enter Sandman may be the most known rock song out there.

I guess that isn't my definition of signature song. My definition is a song that is not only popular with FANS (real fans of the artist, not just some folks who liek a song or 2), but also representitive of their sound - I think it goes beyond a song that is just the most recognizable. Case in point - Quessryche's biggest commercial success was Silent Lucidity, but is nothing like any of their other stuff - to say it is their signature song would be laughable. But, lots of top 40 people bought the album in 1991 and were probably surprised that all the other tracks were a lot heavier - I know when I saw them on the Empire Tour in 1991 there were people there who came thinking they whole show was going to be Silent Lucidity type music and were wondering what the hell was going on when Geoff Tate started belting out Queen of the Reich...