Tweet from Kirwan

Parrish's problems were he was small and injury-prone. Not a good combo. He could be small and durable and that would be fine, but he wasn't. Perhaps they went hand-in-hand. I don't know Parrish's injury history in college, but Graham didn't have injury issues from what I've read. Whether he is injury-prone in the NFL remains to be seen, but can't be assumed.

Tired of hearing the comparisons between Graham and Parrish.

Parrish is 5'9" 175 and Graham is 5'11" 190. Totally different skill sets and IMO is a more polished WR.

Being a different height and wieght has nothing to with his skillset. I am the same height and weight as graham, and that doesn't mean I have the same skillset as graham, at all.

The Bills have said that he's an outside receiver and played him exclusively on the outside in OTA's and minicamp. He has just as much potential as Evans to run fly routes, once he either learns to beat the jam and/or toasts a CB the first time requiring a cushion off the LOS.

Well, that is what they say and what they expect of him. But I don't see much of his college work showing him being good on the outside. I am really expecting to thrive more in the slot. Has nothing to do with his hieght or weight.

If they are really going to push for him being on the outside, it is going to take time for him develop. Probably more than one season at the very least. He just doesn't have experience playing outside.

If I had to guess, I would say hagan or Jones sees the most playing on the outside with easley as the wild card, and graham behind them developing. Though with all the wr sets, I am sure graham will see the field a lot. But he will be more successful in the slot than the outside. It really isn't that bold of a prediction.

Well, that is what they say and what they expect of him. But I don't see much of his college work showing him being good on the outside. I am really expecting to thrive more in the slot. Has nothing to do with his hieght or weight.

If they are really going to push for him being on the outside, it is going to take time for him develop. Probably more than one season at the very least. He just doesn't have experience playing outside.

If I had to guess, I would say hagan or Jones sees the most playing on the outside with easley as the wild card, and graham behind them developing. Though with all the wr sets, I am sure graham will see the field a lot. But he will be more successful in the slot than the outside. It really isn't that bold of a prediction.

If I had to guess, I'd say the #2 job is Jones' or Easley's to lose. Graham makes the roster because he was a pick of this regime, is young, fast, and "works his butt off" as per his position coach Bob Bicknell. But with those guys ahead of him, it gives him time to learn the position.

This goes to my perennial complaint about "national" media. Hardly anybody really follows all 32 teams. Nobody on ESPN does with the possible exception of Jaws.

Pat Kirwan actually does his homework. I don't mind somebody being critical if he knows what he's talking about, but most "national" guys read up on last year's playoff teams (at most) and that's it.

Just like they criticize (or don't talk) about team when the bills make no moves, they also talk about us and interested in us when we actually make offseason moves. The Bills did quite a bit of moves and it gives them data to analyse whether if we are just a better team or a team that can beat the Jets and Dolphins or can it really go over the hump and take the division away from the Patriots. And they are doing just that.

This thread has spiraled out of control with Kirwan's TJ comment. Let's get back to the meat of his tweet, FredEx and CJ.

How will they be used together? What kind of mismatches can be created? How many formations do we have with them both on the field that either guy can get the rock and the D not know which guy to key on?

These two elite backs are clearly the strength of our offense. How can we utilize them best to win games?

Edited by Thurmal34

This thread has spiraled out of control with Kirwan's TJ comment. Let's get back to the meat of his tweet, FredEx and CJ.

How will they be used together? What kind of mismatches can be created? How many formations do we have with them both on the field that either guy can get the rock and the D not know which guy to key on?

These two elite backs are clearly the strength of our offense. How can we utilize them best to win games?

One of the things that Coach Gailey recently said on the subject is that you can't design too much of the offense around both of them being on the field together because if one of them gets injured, it takes too big a chunk out of your playbook.

I'm guessing you'll see the Freddy/CJ combo on less than one-third of the snaps… which is still way more than last year, which was never.

TJ on the other hand had better end get his ass into camp on time or he'll see less than one-third of the snaps.

Punk.

Personally I see TJ Graham as Lee Evans light....without the heavy contract......who you have to account for deep so your not gonna bunch up safeties at the LOS and sit on routes......

He might be a decoy a lot of the time....but if he keeps defenses from camping at the LOS....then he has served his purpose.

Well said but in order for that to work he will have to make a couple of big plays early in the season so teams will respect his speed.

I'm skeptical that we'll be seeing them in the backfield at the same time. Neither is the most efficient blocker for the other, so I'm not sure if it'd actually be the best way for a two back set. I can see one back in the backfield, and one lined up in the slot, causing a mismatch with a linebacker, though.

If I was GM I would've picked Russell Wilson over TJ Graham in Round 3. I love Wilson, I think he'll be a Pro Bowler very soon. And I think Graham could've been had in Round 4 (or later). But his ceiling is pretty high - hopefully he proves me wrong.

I 2nd this. People say the only problem with him is height, and he is like a half an inch shorter than brees. Guy looked like a steal in the third

I 2nd this. People say the only problem with him is height, and he is like a half an inch shorter than brees. Guy looked like a steal in the third

Brees is a major exception. And he took 4 years before he became anything.

If he became a probowl player in his 4th year, I would be ok with that.

A qb with that kind of talent in the third is a steal. In a couple years he could be better than Fitz, and would probably be the best developmental qb we had in awhile.

The point was that besides being a major exception, it took him several years to get there. By the time year 4 rolls around, he's probably gone from Buffalo.

4 years to get to the pro bowl, but he was still a good player before that. And height doesn't seem to be a factor in length of development. But I bet he will be as good if not better than Fitz in two years. I see nothing wrong with taking a qb that will take a few years to develop over a wr that will also take a few years to develop.

Sooner or later, the bills are going to have to take a young, good, qb prospect to develop. Otherwise, when Fitz retires or stops playing well, we will be forced to start a rookie or play an over the hill vet.

So what if it takes Wilson a couple years to develop? It is probably going to take graham the same amount of time. Most receivers take 2-3 years anyway. I don't see why we need a developmental qb to play in the next 4 years unless Fitz totally sucks, which I don't expect. Best case scenario, Fitz and Wilson both play awesome and in two years Wilson gets traded for high draft picks like kolb was.

Wilson looks like the real deal, and I wouldn't be surprised if he starts a few games this year and plays well. He is more nfl ready than tannahill for sure.

The Bills have said that he's an outside receiver and played him exclusively on the outside in OTA's and minicamp. He has just as much potential as Evans to run fly routes, once he either learns to beat the jam and/or toasts a CB the first time requiring a cushion off the LOS.

I thought they had him learning all four wide out positions.

They did, but I can't recall where they had him the most. But they had him learning all 4 because of the injury bug from last year they want the players to be as flexable as possible. As far as the outside goes, based on all the interviews, Jones is getting most of time there, and I remember Fitz saying hagan looked really good there.

4 years to get to the pro bowl, but he was still a good player before that. And height doesn't seem to be a factor in length of development. But I bet he will be as good if not better than Fitz in two years. I see nothing wrong with taking a qb that will take a few years to develop over a wr that will also take a few years to develop.

Sooner or later, the bills are going to have to take a young, good, qb prospect to develop. Otherwise, when Fitz retires or stops playing well, we will be forced to start a rookie or play an over the hill vet.

So what if it takes Wilson a couple years to develop? It is probably going to take graham the same amount of time. Most receivers take 2-3 years anyway. I don't see why we need a developmental qb to play in the next 4 years unless Fitz totally sucks, which I don't expect. Best case scenario, Fitz and Wilson both play awesome and in two years Wilson gets traded for high draft picks like kolb was.

Wilson looks like the real deal, and I wouldn't be surprised if he starts a few games this year and plays well. He is more nfl ready than tannahill for sure.

Wilson is in a 3-way battle with Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Flynn for the starting gig. I'd be highly surprised if he wins it. But I agree he's more NFL ready than Tannehill.

I thought they had him learning all four wide out positions.

I don't recall him playing anything other than outside, or at least that he was playing there most of the time.

Wilson is in a 3-way battle with Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Flynn for the starting gig. I'd be highly surprised if he wins it. But I agree he's more NFL ready than Tannehill.

Oh, he won't win it. But if there is an injury or crappy play, he might get some playing time.