Great country songs

Buftex

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A real standard performed by Willie Nelson

youtube.com/watch?v=8Rp0wrXBLeE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Nice...I know that one as Porter Wagoner tune. Also, big thumbs up for "Witchata Lineman"...partial to the original by Campbell, but the STP version is not bad at all...Jimmy Webb song...

This is sort of a contemporary Texas classic by Charlie Robison...Springsteen would be proud..."My Hometown"

Edited by Buftex

Love this version of the song...how it was originally written. Gram Parsons should have gotten a writing credit.

Good Ole Boys like me

youtube.com/watch?v=d32h0TuSgEY

Great Don Williams song..that is the kind of thing I am talking about....poetry. Always loved his song "Lord, I Hope This Day Is Good"

Excellent when she sings it. Excellent when he sings it. Really excellent when they both sing it.

youtube.com/watch?v=tnlfqSRUEgo

Gotta admit, I kind of lost track of Lyle Lovett over the years...I used to really dig his stuff, but he seemed to drop off the face of the earth for a while, no new songs. Haven't picked up his new album. Tammy Wynette was great too...she had another song, kind of along the same lines (pissing feminists off, no doubt) called "My Man"..."Apartment #9" is another classic...

When I started dating my ex-wife back in 2000, Napster was at its peak of popularity and use. I would always go over after class and/or work and we'd lay in bed and talk for hours while she played country music on her computer. I have to admit, even though I always sort of hated the genre, contemporary country really is pretty good. I became a so-so fan of Martina McBride, Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney (The Good Stuff is probably my favorite county song....great tune), Brad Paisley, and Toby Keith. I really haven't listened to much since we split up, but from time to time I'll revisit it.

Merle Haggard is one of my all time favorite song writers, any genre...always loved this song...amazingly relevant after all these years..."Are the Good Times Really Over". Hag can be a little political at times...very liberal on social issues, but conservative as hell in other matters. He was a very vocal Hillary Clinton supporter, back in 2008. This song is just screaming to be picked up for use by some campaign...but it stands on its' own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFHJ41ktt3Q

youtube.com/watch?v=PvIvZToYod8

Not really country, but has sort of a country feel to it. Makes me want to go out and become a kickass vigilante.

That is pretty cool... was that the theme song for "The Shield"? Beck does really interesting stuff...I don't love all of his stuff, but when he is good, he is really good.

Nice...I know that one as Porter Wagoner tune. Also, big thumbs up for "Witchata Lineman"...partial to the original by Campbell, but the STP version is not bad at all...Jimmy Webb song...

This is sort of a contemporary Texas classic by Charlie Robison...Springsteen would be proud..."My Hometown"

youtube.com/watch?v=wg1pYtoWL6c&ob=av2e

Another standard performed by Willie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgi32rz-1yA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I grew up listening to Kenny Rogers (more Pop Country, IMO) thanks to my grandfather. Still love to listen to that music: Gideon, Kenny, Daytime Friends and anything with Dottie West. So I'll carry the flag for The Gambler.

I don't listen to country but there's a few songs that I enjoy, Small Town Saturday Night by Hal Ketchum being one.

I'll throw in Eagles, before they made the lineup changes; the first few studio albums. The concept album "Desperado" is terrific, in my opinion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY8ys03Mqmw&feature=related

Am I allowed to say how much I hate Jimmy Buffett?

Not really a big fan either, but I do like the song "Come Monday"....but, if I never heard "Margartaville" again, it would be okay by me!

I know he has a die-hard group of fans.

Though generally not considered a country artist, this new one from John Mayer has plenty of country in it. Damn fine song too

youtube.com/watch?v=OLW6aMj45Hc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not sure exactly why, but I cannot stand John Mayer...I promis I will listen though...having trouble playing the vid on this computer though.

Edited by Buftex

Not really a big fan either, but I do like the song "Come Monday"....but, if I never heard "Margartaville" again, it would be okay by me!

I know he has a die-hard group of fans.

For some reason, he never comes to Buffalo, but I assume that his fans are a bunch of drunks. Isn't every song he has about drinking in the sun?