Vince Young interview…

he seemed serious and focused in the interview. if he has an ounce of common sense in him he knows this might be his last chance in the league.\

i make no claims to understand the inner workings of the hearts of other men. i have no idea what vince is thinking or where he's at.

my opinion is that he's sad and resigned to playing a game he might not be all that interested in. i can't help wondering if the fun is gone and if he really cares that this is his "last chance." what else is he going to do?

again, this assessment might be totally off base since i've never spoken to the man. regardless, feeding the press what they need and hitting on certain talking points doesn't impress me. i would expect any backup to fitz to come in ready to express their eagerness to learn and contribute.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are hosting a "Vince Young Party" next Friday at my place of work...not sure if I will actually see VY, but I have before, and I will just say, there is always more to the story...I am rooting for the guy.

Jiminny crismiss, San Jose, you pretty much FBI-profiled the guy! :lol: -If we ever met, I'd probably be led away in handcuffs!

For cripe sakes, Is he cleared to board the team plane for away games?!

I wish. Even in my wiser years, I've recently misread the character of people in situations which have damaged me. I have a tendency to seek the good in people.

kind of a bizarre questionnaire by the OP. i can't recall seeing a post quite like this.

he seemed serious and focused in the interview. if he has an ounce of common sense in him he knows this might be his last chance in the league. no, he is not the most articulate man in the world, but that should not suggest insincerity. most athletes are scripted when speaking to the media. it's PR 101. if you speak off the cuff, well, you saw what happened to him last year. not all guys are able to improv an interview and come off as charismatic. it has nothing to do with integrity...

I appreciate the feedback.

I just watched it as well and you read my mind. What I think I hear because we havent been able to see much yet is a man that has had to swallow a huge slice of humble pie. I think his ego and the immaturity that has given him such a bad rap over the last few years has subsided. Think he realizes after he was hung out there in free agency with no takers for a while that he needs to pluck his head out of his ass. I believe VY has recognized that he has a great situation here with Gailey and Lee here to impart some of their knowledge to him and he seems receptive. Whether he catches on here or goes to another team it seems to me that his head maybe right for the first time in his career.

This is where I was going with this and IMO, you nailed it. Especially your last sentence. Glad it's not just me.

In my opinion I'm not sure why this type of scrutiny is even warranted OP,the guys been through enough, our GM and HC brought VY in because they see potential.

So why do we need to sit here on a Bills forum for everyone to see and dissect every word he says, how he says it, is he articulate enough to form thoughts, seriously?

The reason is this:

I can't bear to enter or even witness yet another debate about 1) how good/bad Fitz is or 2) how good/bad Kelsay is, or 3) how much personnel authority Jauron had or 4) what position Carrington/Merriman will play or 5) whether the Merriman signing was a good move or not or 6) whether or not Stevie Johnson is a hip hop punk, or any of the other dozens of debates which repeat themselves daily on this forum.

Things that are interesting to me these days are a Vince Young interview, or the fact that because Eric Pears is out, that Cordy Glenn is starting at LT while Hairston has been moved to RT.

While these subjects appear not to interest the majority on this board, they are fascinating to me, and hopefully a few others.

In my opinion I'm not sure why this type of scrutiny is even warranted OP,the guys been through enough, our GM and HC brought VY in because they see potential.

So why do we need to sit here on a Bills forum for everyone to see and dissect every word he says, how he says it, is he articulate enough to form thoughts, seriously?

Awww come on man...

Of all the posters to scrutinize, you pick "San Jose Bills Fan"??? your aim is off, buddy. This is what this board if for, Bills talk. VY is a Bill, a high profile Bill at that. It's relative whether you agree with it or not.

Back on topic, I'm sort of rooting for him to get things turned around. We all fall off the track every now and again but aren't always open to public ridicule. I'm not a better man than VY, and prefer people have success stories rather than failure. Like others have said, however, the true test will be during the season, whether good or bad.

I just got done watching the Vince Young interview from the Bills website.

All of us like to think that we can judge character and I'm no different.

When I watch/listen to someone speak, I try to judge many things simultaneously…

Is he sincere or does he seem phony? Sincere

Are his comments thoughtful and spontaneous or are they scripted? Yes

Does he have good perspective or not? Knows his role

Does he have efficiency in speech with good content to word ratio? "It's Great"

Can he formulate and articulate thoughts well? Kind of hard to judge with the softball questions he was asked.

Is there a hint of self-centeredness or narcissism or is the person humble/humbled? Again, knows his role. Acceptance of the role ....

Anyways, here's the link and I'd be very curious to know what you guys think of Young's interview.

http://www.buffalobi...59-28677c748ba7

I'm in the camp with some of the others. I want to see how he reacts when the bullets start flying.

I wish. Even in my wiser years, I've recently misread the character of people in situations which have damaged me. I have a tendency to seek the good in people.

I appreciate the feedback.

This is where I was going with this and IMO, you nailed it. Especially your last sentence. Glad it's not just me.

The reason is this:

I can't bear to enter or even witness yet another debate about 1) how good/bad Fitz is or 2) how good/bad Kelsay is, or 3) how much personnel authority Jauron had or 4) what position Carrington/Merriman will play or 5) whether the Merriman signing was a good move or not or 6) whether or not Stevie Johnson is a hip hop punk, or any of the other dozens of debates which repeat themselves daily on this forum.

Things that are interesting to me these days are a Vince Young interview, or the fact that because Eric Pears is out, that Cordy Glenn is starting at LT while Hairston has been moved to RT.

While these subjects appear not to interest the majority on this board, they are fascinating to me, and hopefully a few others.

I can understand trying to judge a person's character/intelligence OP, and its not that I don't do the very same thing to a certain degree sometimes because I do,(although I keep it to myself) but when you start a thread on a person like this and then ask the questions you did it basically opens VY up for alias posters to assault his character/intelligence and he's not even here to properly defend himself. Not only that, to base everything on an interview is pulling things a bit out of perspective don't you think? I mean you can't expect to get all the answers to the questions you ask from one interview. Can't the guy just be answering questions honestly? Why does he need to pretend/give a false impression of himself?

I don't know San Jose, maybe I'm just being over protective of a guy thats trying to turn his career/life around, especially now that he's a Bill...

Of all the posters to scrutinize, you pick "San Jose Bills Fan"??? your aim is off, buddy. This is what this board if for, Bills talk. VY is a Bill, a high profile Bill at that. It's relative whether you agree with it or not.

Back on topic, I'm sort of rooting for him to get things turned around. We all fall off the track every now and again but aren't always open to public ridicule. I'm not a better man than VY, and prefer people have success stories rather than failure. Like others have said, however, the true test will be during the season, whether good or bad.

San Jose and I have been having discussions for a long , long time,(as dog14787) so of course I know he's one of the biggest homers on the board like I am, but it doesn't mean I agree with everything he posts, hehe

I don't know San Jose, maybe I'm just being over protective of a guy thats trying to turn his career/life around, especially now that he's a Bill...

The irony is that I was in favor of the signing and was thrilled that it happened.

The further irony is that I'm speaking in favor of the guy so I do think you're being somewhat overprotective.

In spite of being kind of at odds in this thread, it's also ironic that we're both pulling for the guy.

Anyways, I compared Vince Young's interview with Shawne Merriman's interview and while I've been a booster and defender of Merriman and his signing, I thought Young compared very favorably.

And while I don't think you can make an evaluation of a person's character based on a 4 minute interview, I do believe that you can gain some insights.

The irony is that I was in favor of the signing and was thrilled that it happened.

The further irony is that I'm speaking in favor of the guy so I do think you're being somewhat overprotective.

In spite of being kind of at odds in this thread, it's also ironic that we're both pulling for the guy.

Anyways, I compared Vince Young's interview with Shawne Merriman's interview and while I've been a booster and defender of Merriman and his signing, I thought Young compared very favorably.

And while I don't think you can make an evaluation of a person's character based on a 4 minute interview, I do believe that you can gain some insights.

I understand...

I can understand trying to judge a person's character/intelligence OP, and its not that I don't do the very same thing to a certain degree sometimes because I do,(although I keep it to myself) but when you start a thread on a person like this and then ask the questions you did it basically opens VY up for alias posters to assault his character/intelligence and he's not even here to properly defend himself. Not only that, to base everything on an interview is pulling things a bit out of perspective don't you think? I mean you can't expect to get all the answers to the questions you ask from one interview. Can't the guy just be answering questions honestly? Why does he need to pretend/give a false impression of himself?

San Jose and I have been having discussions for a long , long time,(as dog14787) so of course I know he's one of the biggest homers on the board like I am, but it doesn't mean I agree with everything he posts, hehe

Oh, didn't realize you changed your username... carry on. :thumbsup:

The reason is this:

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! Good post :thumbdown:

How about these young corners looking good in OTA's. Ron Brooks? Justin Rodgers?

How about Mark "freaking" Anderson? Does he look like an absolute physical freak or what?

Reportedly Easley has been working hard in the weight room, is in good shape, and has also impressed in workouts.

Merriman is back in action, and Kyle Williams looks like he has made A LOT of progress.

I know it's just a bunch of guys running around in shorts, bit these are the kinds of things I'm interested in right now.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

I like eating Fig Newtons, hehe, as a dog I ate a lot of me so I turned into one my friend...

I'm not a gastroenterologist but it seems to me that eating fig newtons would not be good for a dog's GI.

But let's not go there.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! Good post :thumbdown:

Thanks but why are you giving the "thumbs down?"

And btw we had chicken meatballs with pasta tonight and they were surprisingly good.

Thanks but why are you giving the "thumbs down?"

And btw we had chicken meatballs with pasta tonight and they were surprisingly good.

Haha...meant to be a thumbs up man. I've had a few to many Vodky and lemonades this evening. I meant good post :thumbsup:

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

I thought he seemed genuinely interested and I'm happy to have him suiting up with us even if he is a backup

This is a golden opportunity for VY from a coaching perspective, I think he realizes as much, and it could turn out to be a golden opportunity for the Buffalo Bills somewhere down the line. I also expect Chan Gailey to make use of VY this season.

It will not surprise me to see VY get a handful of plays, much the way Gailey began phasing Kordell Stewart into the game years ago...

Edited by Fig Newton