New age play calling

Just wondering if with all the technology now a days and the ability to write programs and develop customized programs if anyone knows if the defensive Corr. for example can just type in his Ipad or laptop that it's 3rd down and 5 on the 45 yard line, and he'd like to blitz if he can do something like that and maybe 4 or 5 different plays come up and he chooses one. Seems like a quicker way to find plays.. Do NFL teams do this already does anyone know.?

They have those big laminated color coded sheets now.

I suspect using that would be quicker for them then trying to type something in.

Plus dropping that sheet isn't going to cause problems ;)

I see your point, but if I'm sitting in the booth as a defensive play caller, and all i need to do is type in the down and yards and 3 or 4 of my plays for that down and distance and team pop up then that seems pretty easy, as my assistant types in next to me how the play worked, so if it comes up again later in the game I can chose to pick it again or pick another.. It's kind of a stupid subject to talk about on here but I was just wondering is all..

Just wondering if with all the technology now a days and the ability to write programs and develop customized programs if anyone knows if the defensive Corr. for example can just type in his Ipad or laptop that it's 3rd down and 5 on the 45 yard line, and he'd like to blitz if he can do something like that and maybe 4 or 5 different plays come up and he chooses one. Seems like a quicker way to find plays.. Do NFL teams do this already does anyone know.?

I would suspect that very few if any coaches would rely on something like that on game day. What happens if the device crashes, batteries go dead, it gets wet, it freezes up or any of the other things that could go wrong with an electronic device on game day? The coach would be screwed. Those color coded sheets they’ve been using for awhile have all the scenarios you mentioned already listed for them and they can easily write notes on it if that play doesn’t work.

There's nothing a DC can't think about a million times faster, regardless of game situation.

GO BILLS!!!

I know the Bills use IPADs for film study, game day who knows.

Many teams have their entire playbook on iPads along with video cutups of each play for illustrative purposes. This also helps if the "playbook" is lost or stolen… without the security code it becomes extremely difficult to hack into… much more secure than a paperbound playbook.

As far as the original post, like K-9 said, down and distance situations can be reacted to much more quickly via study and memorization… or by having everything written on a sheet. In other words, the way it's done now.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I would suspect that very few if any coaches would rely on something like that on game day. What happens if the device crashes, batteries go dead, it gets wet, it freezes up or any of the other things that could go wrong with an electronic device on game day? The coach would be screwed. Those color coded sheets they’ve been using for awhile have all the scenarios you mentioned already listed for them and they can easily write notes on it if that play doesn’t work.

If only they could keep a sheet of paper for that very moment too....

That said, tech is a no-no on the sideline.the minute it's allowed everyone would switch. You wouldn't need it for every play but to have access to that database would clearly be advantageous.

Maybe one day we'll see one of the coaches on the sideline break out his iPhone and ask, "Siri, we're down by 3, we have the ball on our 45 yard line, and it's 3rd and 7. What play should I call?"

Maybe one day we'll see one of the coaches on the sideline break out his iPhone and ask, "Siri, we're down by 3, we have the ball on our 45 yard line, and it's 3rd and 7. What play should I call?"

"I am currently channeling the Buffalo Bills circa 2006-2010 so call a 2 yard slant."

"I am currently channeling the Buffalo Bills circa 2006-2010 so call a 2 yard slant."

:worthy:

Nice part about those laminated pieces of paper is you can't hack into them. I would imagine that in the future maybe but they have been using a system that works for them for so long that it's just the norm.