How the Rams Will Win

Ozymandius

advance scouting on Jets-Rams

Here's an Insider article previewing the all too significant Jets-Rams battle where they predict the Rams will prevail.

The central argument being pushed by these "Scouts" is that the Rams WR's have huge mismatches against the Jets CB's, and with Abraham out and the Rams playing for their playoff lives on home turf, Bulger should be able to take advantage of this situation to score points. When the Jets have the ball, the Scouts believe that the Jets will punish the Rams on the ground, but that the Rams can play Archuleta in the box enough so that it won't be a total mismatch due to Pennington's girlish arm.

It's a good article, their points are valid, but I'm not sure I buy them. Pennington's effeminate arm has been in place the entire season, yet the Jets still have 10 wins mostly by beating up on crap teams like the Rams. This game will of course take place in the dome and not the wind, so I don't believe the Rams can take ridiculous advantage of Penny as the Patriots did. As for when the Rams have the ball, the mismatches against the Jets secondary exist on paper, but the Rams have such a mistake-prone offense, I'm not sure they can take advantage. For every big play they create, they're going to give up a sack, INT, or fumble.

Sure, the Rams can win... any given Sunday, right? But I'm not going to give them the matchup advantage like these guys are. If the Rams win, it's an upset.

Without really knowing all the details, I cannot believe Abraham isn't going to suit up. he must be hurt more than the national media is letting on, or he has no heart. This game is huge for the Jets. They won't win 10 games next season.

Don't forget about Stephen Jackson. He should force the Jets D to keep a few guys in the box, which will further exploit their secondary. He sure looked good last week.

The Jets will score points, but the Rams will win.

It's a good article, their points are valid, but I'm not sure I buy them.  Pennington's effeminate arm has been in place the entire season, yet the Jets still have 10 wins mostly by beating up on crap teams like the Rams.  This game will of course take place in the dome and not the wind, so I don't believe the Rams can take ridiculous advantage of Penny as the Patriots did.  As for when the Rams have the ball, the mismatches against the Jets secondary exist on paper, but the Rams have such a  mistake-prone offense, I'm not sure they can take advantage.  For every big play they create, they're going to give up a sack, INT, or fumble.

Pennington's "girlish arm" hasn't been the same since the Bills injured him 2 months ago, and you'll notice that most of those 10 wins came BEFORE that time (and they are 1-2 since Pennington's return, with the lone win being against the lousy Seahags in Jersey). That's why the Rams will cheat-up to the LOS to shut down the run and force Pennington to beat them deep, which he won't be able to do. Now if Pennington's arm were at normal "girly" strength, I'd say they have a good chance to win. But most of the factors are working against the Jets, namely Pennington's injury, Bulger's and Martz' record at home and in the final month of the season, and the Rams playing for the playoffs as well.

Unfortunately, after watching what the Jets did to the Seahawks - a team with a better o-line and defense than the Rams - I'm not all that optimistic.  The Rams had a difficult time with the Eagles' backups last Monday....

184991[/snapback]

Rams beat the Seahawks.

The dolphins also beat the patriots, who beat us twice, while we beat the dolphins twice and beat the rams AND the seahawks....what am I getting at you ask? Absolutely nothing....it's ANY GIVEN SUNDAY in the NFL and thats what we're going to get.

What many observers seem to be overlooking is the fact that St. Louis is considerably better at home than on the road. Similarly, after the San Diego game in week 2, the Jets performance on the road this year has been subpar. In my view, there is no way the Jets should be favored to win this game. Consider the following:

1 - Since the San Diego game, the Jets have scored 7 touchdowns in 6 road games.

2 - The Jets are considered a good running team, yet their yard per rush is 3.7 on the road versus 5.3 at home.

3 - The Jets have a total of 4 sacks in their last 4 road games and will likely be without their best pass rusher, John Abraham.

4 - The Jets have a good third down conversion % of 44%, yet it is 55% at home and 30% on the road.

5 - In their last three home games, all wins, the Rams have averaged 35 rush attempts for 182 yards and are averaging 4.9 yards per rush at home.

I don't expect a blowout. There are areas of concern, specifically, the Rams penchant for turnovers (2 per game at home), sacks allowed (almost 3 per game at home) and their horrendous kickoff coverage (giving up 27 yards per kick and 12 yards per punt at home). Plus, you never know when Martz will get really stupid.

However, the Rams should win this game.

I will remind you that last week I had a similar post suggesting that Houston had a good shot at beating Jacksonville.

We have to hope that the speedy receivers of the Rams overwhelms the Jets D. That's the best hope here. The Jet's have a good run D. they can stop Faulk and Jackson. The old adage is that the run opens the pass, but I think it'll be the opposite here.

I like what I saw of Jackson on Monday. That guys got some power. Faulk isn't the same runner anymore. If Jackson plays well, they can win.

The Rams also have a short week to prepare. That's not good. Luckily, it's in the dome in St. Louis. If this were in Jersey, no way Rams.

What many observers seem to be overlooking is the fact that St. Louis is considerably better at home than on the road.  Similarly, after the San Diego game in week 2, the Jets performance on the road this year has been subpar.  In my view, there is no way the Jets should be favored to win this game.  Consider the following:

1 - Since the San Diego game, the Jets have scored 7 touchdowns in 6 road games.

2 - The Jets are considered a good running team, yet their yard per rush is 3.7 on the road versus 5.3 at home.

3 - The Jets have a total of 4 sacks in their last 4 road games and will likely be without their best pass rusher, John Abraham.

4 - The Jets have a good third down conversion % of 44%, yet it is 55% at home and 30% on the road.

5 - In their last three home games, all wins, the Rams have averaged 35 rush attempts for 182 yards and are averaging 4.9 yards per rush at home.

I don't expect a blowout.  There are areas of concern, specifically, the Rams penchant for turnovers (2 per game at home), sacks allowed (almost 3 per game at home) and their horrendous kickoff coverage (giving up 27 yards per kick and 12 yards per punt at home).  Plus, you never know when Martz will get really stupid.

However, the Rams should win this game.

I will remind you that last week I had a similar post suggesting that Houston had a good shot at beating Jacksonville.

185323[/snapback]

Impressive, but can we trust Fartz not to mess it up, for the sake of his massive ego?