Gilmore & Glenn High Bust Potential?

3putt

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean c'mon, even if Glenn doesn't end up at LT but contributes to the upgrade of the line, how can he be a bust? And I heard a lot of predraft talk that Gilmore is a technician and lacks instincts, but even if he is not a shutdown but gives us coverage options for 2 TE sets, how can the "league sources" think he is a potential bust? Unless that source is BB.

I thought I was BB :D

If high bust potential means that Gilmore is 50/50 and Glenn is 60/40 they are busts then that is correct. That is waht the averages are for anybody whether there name is Luck, Maybin, or Brees. So as others ahve said if Gilmore becomes a solid CB and Glenn starts anywhere on the line they will be far from busts.

Everyone's got bust potential.

And given the Bills track record of destroying talent over the past decade-plus, no one's giving them the benefit of the doubt.

True but last year showed Nix can do it so hopefully he can string bunch of good drafts and we become Superbowl Champs.

According to Nawrocki Cam Newton will probably stab you and take your wallet.

Comedy is tough...

Summary: An extremely talented, dual-threat QB who carried Auburn to a national title, Newton has the arm and athletic talent desired in a rollout, play-action, bootleg vertical passing game and would fit ideally into an offense such as that of the Redskins or Raiders.

However, he always will test the rules, be difficult to manage and lacks the intangibles to win the trust of a locker room. Will require a very strong-willed, demanding coach to live up to his potential and avoid the trappings of fame and fortune, but even the greatest taskmaster will not be able to keep away the drama that is still swirling from a stained Heisman Trophy and littered recruiting trail that Newton left in the SEC.

Can provide an initial spark, but will quickly be dissected and contained by NFL defensive coordinators, struggle to sustain success and will not prove worthy of an early investment. An overhyped, high-risk, high-reward selection with a glaring bust factor, Newton is sure to be drafted more highly than he should and could foreclose a risk-taking GM's job and taint a locker room.

Edited by Lurker

Summary: An extremely talented, dual-threat QB who carried Auburn to a national title, Newton has the arm and athletic talent desired in a rollout, play-action, bootleg vertical passing game and would fit ideally into an offense such as that of the Redskins or Raiders.

However, he always will test the rules, be difficult to manage and lacks the intangibles to win the trust of a locker room. Will require a very strong-willed, demanding coach to live up to his potential and avoid the trappings of fame and fortune, but even the greatest taskmaster will not be able to keep away the drama that is still swirling from a stained Heisman Trophy and littered recruiting trail that Newton left in the SEC.

Can provide an initial spark, but will quickly be dissected and contained by NFL defensive coordinators, struggle to sustain success and will not prove worthy of an early investment. An overhyped, high-risk, high-reward selection with a glaring bust factor, Newton is sure to be drafted more highly than he should and could foreclose a risk-taking GM's job and taint a locker room.

THAT might be the worst case of uncalled for character assassination I've ever seen.

I had questions about the kid too, but wow.

Comedy is tough...

nailed that one nawrocki, TAINT a locker room with his golden arm, his future mvps, his 4000 yards as a rookie. Cam is awesome he's like big Ben if big Ben ever hit the gym

nailed that one nawrocki, TAINT a locker room with his golden arm, his future mvps, his 4000 yards as a rookie. Cam is awesome he's like big Ben if big Ben ever hit the gym

Uh...I believe he wasn't referring to his physical abilities (which he correctly assessed BTW), only his perceived personality.

I know reading comprehenion's a dying art, but it's eye-opening to see how many posters seem to miss the gist of what Narwocki was saying. :wallbash:

Uh...I believe he wasn't referring to his physical abilities (which he correctly assessed BTW), only his perceived personality.

I know reading comprehenion's a dying art, but it's eye-opening to see how many posters seem to miss the gist of what Narwocki was saying. :wallbash:

I've NEVER read a scouting report that negative so I'm gonna disagree with you this time.

The scouting report was obsessed with the negatives. One short positive paragraph at the outset and two longer paragraphs of negatives that followed.

Talk about Nawrocki overstating his case.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I've NEVER read a scouting report that negative so I'm gonna disagree with you this time.

The scouting report was obsessed with the negatives. One short positive paragraph at the outset and two longer paragraphs of negatives that followed.

Talk about Nawrocki overstating his case.

That wasn't the whole report, just the summary (although the second half of the 'negatives' throws even more bombs...

Positives: Very well-built with big deltoids and a strapping physique. Excellent arm strength — can make difficult throws off-balance while on the move and air out the deep ball, hitting receivers in stride 50 yards downfield. Throws with velocity. Composed in pressure situations and found ways to come through in the clutch. Big, strong, physical runner. Pounds defenders and can push a pile — almost always falls forward. Smooth-striding, fluid-moving athlete. Highly competitive and productive against top Southeastern Conference competition — rose to the occasion against Alabama and Oregon on the biggest of stages. Very savvy — confident, charming and charismatic and can light up a room. Highly competitive and plays with passion.

Negatives: Played in a simplified, run-first, dive-option read offense with very basic high-low reads. Worked exclusively out of the gun and was very quick to run at the first flash of coverage. Limited field vision — does not process the passing game. Inconsistent throwing mechanics with a flick delivery — generates all of his power from his upper-body strength and too often arms the ball. Streaky passer with spotty accuracy. Makes his receivers work hard and throws into coverage. Does not spin a tight spiral.

Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.

Wow.

When you play psychiatrist/psychologist the way Nawrocki did in that last paragraph… that's almost malicious… that's almost defamation for goodness sake.

For it to be defamation, you'd need to prove it hurt him professionally (which it obviously didn't). Opinions are still protected speech.

And who's to say it doen't come to pass once he's more fully ensconced in the "NFL Star" cocoon...

Wow.

When you play psychiatrist/psychologist the way Nawrocki did in that last paragraph… that's almost maliciousthat's almost defamation for goodness sake.

For it to be defamation, you'd need to prove it hurt him professionally (which it obviously didn't). Opinions are still protected speech.

And who's to say it doen't come to pass once he's more fully ensconced in the "NFL Star" cocoon...

As I already suggested in my post, a public figure has to prove malice for comments to be considered defamation (slander or libel).

It is my opinion that Nawrocki was right there but there were no damages because Cam went first overall… so no foul. However if Newton somehow slid in the draft?

It's all hypothetical but I find Nawrocki's "scouting report" to be WAY over the top. I mean, depicting hypothetical situations where Newton would fail?

AND Characterizing Newton as (these are direct quotes) "me-first, fake, disingenuous, scripted, selfish, plays to the camera, enormous ego, does not command respect, lacks accountability, focus, and trustworthiness, not punctual, seeks shortcuts, sets a bad example, immature, and has had issues with authority… don't you think that's pretty slanderous?

Put differently Lurker, have you ever seen such a negative "scouting report?"

I certainly haven't and I've been watching these things for many years.

Glenn and Gilmore are probably two of the "safest" picks in the draft

I fully disagree wrt Glenn. Actually, I am surprised that you don't see this John.

Huge college blockers can often overpower, and even engulf defenders. Mike Williams was a perfect example. He weighed more than 350 and could bench press the world. In college, this works. In the NFL, these players face genetic mutants who are not the least bit afraid of them.

If a player as big and strong as Glenn was known for agility, he would have been a top 5 draft selection.

That said, I am OK with the Glenn selection in the second round. He has a huge upside, and in selecting Glenn, it isn't as if we threw away an early pick chasing a transient corner, ala Aaron Williams/Gilmore/McKelvin.

Nix obviously liked the kid. If he gives it his all and listens to his coaches, he has a chance to be a star player. I thought Martin was a safer pick but again, I have no issues at all wrt Glenn in round 2.

AND Characterizing Newton as (these are direct quotes) "me-first, fake, disingenuous, scripted, selfish, plays to the camera, enormous ego, does not command respect, lacks accountability, focus, and trustworthiness, not punctual, seeks shortcuts, sets a bad example, immature, and has had issues with authority… don't you think that's pretty slanderous?

Not a bit.

If the same or worse can be said about the White House occupant and his opponents on a daily basis, then no, I don't see a problem with Narwocki's opinion of a professional athlete...

Not a bit.

If the same or worse can be said about the White House occupant and his opponents on a daily basis, then no, I don't see a problem with Narwocki's opinion of a professional athlete...

Well there's the question of whether the same rules apply to college athletes that apply to politicians.

Regardless of that, again I've never seen such a negative attack on an athlete in a scouting report.

This is not the same thing as a story on a head coach cheating.

We're talking about a scouting report on a kid… a football evaluation which bizarrely turned into a character assassination.

I'd ask you to show me another scouting report which even approached being one-quarter as slanderous as this one but I know you wouldn't be able to find one.

Well, as an Icon, he didn't exactly have a typical college experience either.

Mr. Entertainment...

I know all about Cam Newton's background as it was discussed ad infinitum on this site not very long ago.

I still think Nawrocki's treatment of him was off base.

If Nawrocki doesn't like the kid, then write an article to that effect.

But to slander him in a scouting report is ridiculous, IMO.

I wasn't just Nawrocki. The line was long before the draft...

Lurker, I get that Newton has rubbed some people the wrong way.

I also get the distinct feeling that you're one of those people.

But I still think Nawrocki's "scouting report" was preposterous.

Twenty percent of it had to do with football, 60 percent of it had nothing to do with football, and twenty percent of it had nothing to do with football but was disguised in a football context.

Nawrocki's "scouting report" speaks more eloquently to his own character than it does Newton's.