Drayton Florence signs…

Wasn't Nix the one who said you can never have enough good corners in NFL? I like Florence as a player and felt he should have remained on the team assuming he wanted to stay.

Dunno if he was any good, but the Bills had about 10 wins over the past 2.years and he was part of it. Not in the building block way, but more of holding a spot until we can replace you kinda way.

Wasn't Nix the one who said you can never have enough good corners in NFL? I like Florence as a player and felt he should have remained on the team assuming he wanted to stay.

They needed the cap room. Look for Dwan Edwards and/or Spencer Johnson to get axed too. There are important guys like Levitre and Byrd to extend. Sometimes you have to make choices. Frankly I'm thrilled the BILLS are actually in this predicament.

You just can't let players like that get to free agency because the chance they're going to leave goes up exponentially. Even if they stay, the price is going to be significantly higher. If Buddy is smart and wants to keep those guys, he's working deals right now. Levitre would have been a Pro Bowler last season if he'd stayed at LG all year and Byrd really took a step last season.

At the end of the day, Florence was one of the most expendable BILLS and the cap number cinched it.

It's a good signing for the Broncos. I liked Drayton as a Bill, and I think his struggles last year were the result of poor coaching and no pass rush. He will get plenty of pass rush and good defensive coaching with the Broncos...

They probably want him to play the nickle, where I hoped he would play for the Bills. He took a big pay cut to sign for that role with the Broncos though.

I also continue to like how Elway is managing his team...Maybe he could teach Jordan and Gretzky a thing or two...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

It's a good signing for the Broncos. I liked Drayton as a Bill, and I think his struggles last year were the result of poor coaching and no pass rush. He will get plenty of pass rush and good defensive coaching with the Broncos...

They probably want him to play the nickle, where I hoped he would play for the Bills. He took a big pay cut to sign for that role with the Broncos though.

I also continue to like how Elway is managing his team...Maybe he could teach Jordan and Gretzky a thing or two...

Are you referring to the overall defensive philosophy under Edwards, or specific position coaches?

Are you referring to the overall defensive philosophy under Edwards, or specific position coaches?

The philosophy and coaching effectiveness of Edwards. It seemed to me that, specifically in the secondary, players were often out of position or didn't know what their position was. I believe we have talent in the secondary, which was wasted by bad play calling and coaching overall. That was made worse by having no pass rush.

On several of the big plays Florence allowed last year he seemed to be expecting help over the top which wasn't there (He was also visibly upset at other players at times). Maybe some of that was Florence not understanding the play, but it didn't look like it. Regardless, it's the DC's responsibility to ensure the players know their jobs. I got the feeling last year that Edwards didn't even know what their jobs were...

I'm looking forward to seeing what an experienced, effective, DC can do this year...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

The philosophy and coaching effectiveness of Edwards. It seemed to me that, specifically in the secondary, players were often out of position or didn't know what their position was. I believe we have talent in the secondary, which was wasted by bad play calling and coaching overall. That was made worse by having no pass rush.

On several of the big plays Florence allowed last year he seemed to be expecting help over the top which wasn't there (He was also visibly upset at other players at times). Maybe some of that was Florence not understanding the play, but it didn't look like it. Regardless, it's the DC's responsibility to ensure the players know their jobs. I got the feeling last year that Edwards didn't even know what their jobs were...

I'm looking forward to seeing what an experienced, effective, DC can do this year...

The complaint was how complicated the defense was. Players were thinking too much instead of just playing. Recipe for disaster.

You raise a good point, and it should be noted that for a handful of games he had a rookie at the #2 CB spot (Williams) and a rookie at SS (Searcy). Most of the plays I can remember where he ended up yelling at the DBs, it was towards Searcy (who I dont blame since he was a rookie).

I'm hoping that with Wanny taking over, we wont need the vets to do so much on-field coaching, and the players can just worry about doing their own jobs.