WR Graham

K Potter

Significant 2012 Free Agents:

DE Mario Williams

DE Mark Anderson

QB A. Corp

QB A. Tanney

SS Howell

Beyond these additions, the following players missed significant time last year, but should be able to be key contributors this year if they can stay healthy:

RB F. Jackson

RB T. Choice

TE L. Smith

WR M. Easley

WR D. Jones

WR D. Hagan

OC E. Wood

DT K. Williams

DT T. Troup

DT D. Edwards

DE S. Merriman

MLB K. Sheppard

OLB K. Morrison

SS/OLB B. Scott

CB T. McGee

CB A. Williams

That's 9 + 5 + 16 = 30 players + 1 (B. Smith - who was greatly underutilized last year, but won't be this year) = 31 players who could either make significant contributions this year or provide a noticeable upgrade in depth at their respective position.

From the group of 31 players that I've mentioned above, here are the players that should contribute the most, ultimately leading the Bills to double digit wins and a 2012 playoff berth:

DEFENSE:

Mario Williams

M. Anderson

Gilmore

K. Willams

A. Williams

S. Merriman

K. Sheppard

T. Troup

K. Morrison

B. Scott

OFFENSE:

RB F. Jackson

RB T. Choice

TE L. Smith

WR M. Easley

C. Glenn

E. Wood

Special Teams:

Brooks (ST)

Graham (ST)

Bradham (ST)

Carder (ST)

Howell (ST)

I think we've improved a ton, but I think it will be in 2013 when we really make a push to go deep into the playoffs...not 2012. I think we'll start a bit slow this season and then by around week 9 or 10 we'll be playing as well as any team in the NFL.

I really applaud the job Nix has done in rebuilding/remodeling this team. He's turned it into something solid, into a team of big, fast, men with talent.

On defense - man! we might as well be a different team! I can truly say I didn't have a full appreciation of the importance of the draft in turning around a team until now. I mean, last year I was so impatient to see the Bills win that I wanted Nix to bring in any number of free agent options just to ignite a spark. I was also clammoring for Wannstedt to take over the defense last year, and wondering why he wasn't doing more in that regard.

But now a lot of that is much clearer. For one, what would Wannstedt have done, really, but move back to a 4-3 without adequate personnel, and give the rest of the NFL a season worth of losing efforts to build up a strategy to deal with his system. Now, at least, it'll be fresh (his Bills version) and he'll have the players he needs. I'd say we're better off now than if he'd of started last year.

And, when it comes to talent - wow! We've gone from a group of over-achieving non recognizeable names, to now having a very young, exciting defense. Looking at the secondary, we already know how good Wilson, Searcy, and Bird can be. Add Aaron Williams, Stephon Gilmore, Ron Brooks (who I think is going to turn out to be a very good CB) Justin Rogers (who I think played good last year when he was in the games) to McGee and McKelvin, and our secondary is poised to be good for a long time.

Our linebacking corps - which I was just considering, two weeks ago, to be a big weakness on this team, has suddenly become perhaps solid, and maybe more, if the draft choices this year pan out. I should say, we know what we have with Barnett, but if Shepphard, Bradham, and Carder pan out, then it becomes a decent squad. And, again, I'm high on this year's 4th and 5th round selections at LB.

The D-line? It could be insanely good if K. Williams, Dareus, Mario Williams, and Anderson perform up to their capabilities. That isn't even mentioning guys like Carrington, or MERRIMAN - who looked very good last year before he was again hobbled, or Troupe.

Add to this mix his additions to the O-line, which I think is now solidified as potentially one of the best in the league, and it is young, too! If Easley ends up doing what he looks capable of, and Graham pans outs - more if's.

And the biggest IF of all, Fitzpatrick's play.

Add to all that these two QB's Nix picked up in UDFA, and the TE, Dickerson - there are some really intruiging prospects to watch this year. With the backup QB position, all I really wanted was to have someone there who inspired a little HOPE, as opposed to Thigpen, who was obviously not capable of any greatness. This Alex Tanney looks to have really exciting potential, and reminds me so much of Freddy Jackson in the way he's been overlooked and dismissed.

In sum, this turn around has largely been done in TWO drafts - and very wise Free Agency/Coaching moves. But the drafting wouldn't have been enough to remake this team so quickly unless the mid-round players and later pan out.

Great points. Interesting to see all in one list. Collectively this hopefully also translates to more depth that can keep guys off IR more than recent years. That alone would be huge.

Great point. Under Jauron the team had marginal talent and it seemed that the few good players would wear down until they finally broke down.

Also, great username. You're a Bills AND a Lions fan? Or is the name simply a play on the Bills and billions?

Great point. Under Jauron the team had marginal talent and it seemed that the few good players would wear down until they finally broke down.

Also, great username. You're a Bills AND a Lions fan? Or is the name simply a play on the Bills and billions?

Thanks. I follow both teams, mostly Bills. The past 10+ years this has been a particularly painfull combo. But finally turning a corner I hope.

Players added for 2012 season:

2012 Draft picks:

CB Gilmore

CB Brooks

OLB Bradham

MLB Carder

LT Glenn

LT/RT Sanders

OC Asper

WR Graham

K Potter

DE Mario Williams

DE Mark Anderson

QB A. Corp

QB A. Tanney

SS Howell

Beyond these additions, the following players missed significant time last year, but should be able to be key contributors this year if they can stay healthy:

RB F. Jackson

RB T. Choice

TE L. Smith

WR M. Easley

WR D. Jones

WR D. Hagan

OC E. Wood

DT K. Williams

DT T. Troup

DT D. Edwards

DE S. Merriman

MLB K. Sheppard

OLB K. Morrison

SS/OLB B. Scott

CB T. McGee

CB A. Williams

That's 9 + 5 + 16 = 30 players + 1 (B. Smith - who was greatly underutilized last year, but won't be this year) = 31 players who could either make significant contributions this year or provide a noticeable upgrade in depth at their respective position.

From the group of 31 players that I've mentioned above, here are the players that should contribute the most, ultimately leading the Bills to double digit wins and a 2012 playoff berth:

DEFENSE:

Mario Williams

M. Anderson

Gilmore

K. Willams

A. Williams

S. Merriman

K. Sheppard

T. Troup

K. Morrison

B. Scott

OFFENSE:

RB F. Jackson

RB T. Choice

TE L. Smith

WR M. Easley

C. Glenn

E. Wood

Special Teams:

Brooks (ST)

Graham (ST)

Bradham (ST)

Carder (ST)

Howell (ST)

So Tashard choice will have a greater impact than C.J Spiller? I don't think so I think C.J will be utilized more effectively on screens and catching the ball out of the backfield. I think everyone saw what he's capable of now and more importantly he's learned to be a patient runner and let his blocks develop. I'll be shocked if he doesn't contribute significantly this year.And of course as I read your post more I realized you were talking about the players that missed some time my bad

LV

Edited by LVBillsBackr

So Tashard choice will have a greater impact than C.J Spiller? I don't think so I think C.J will be utilized more effectively on screens and catching the ball out of the backfield. I think everyone saw what he's capable of now and more importantly he's learned to be a patient runner and let his blocks develop. I'll be shocked if he doesn't contribute significantly this year.And of course as I read your post more I realized you were talking about the players that missed some time my bad

LV

Yeah, the Tashard Choice thing caught my attention as well. He might not even make the team; I think they liked Johnny White but he got dinged early last year.

And CJ will be a beast this season. The Bills are very strong at RB, without Choice even entering the picture.

Enough to challenge for a playoff spot IMO.

Enough to have a few players lead the league statistically.

Enough that teams will be once again afraid to play in Buffalo!

Enough that there may be interest in my tickets in December!

When you have a football team with Ryan Fitzpatrick as the QB it's a good idea to set your season expectations very low.

Sorry - it's the truth!

Sorry, may be your opinion but it is not the truth. Fitz has the talent and the players surrounding him to be succesful.

Players added for 2012 season:

2012 Draft picks:

CB Gilmore

CB Brooks

OLB Bradham

MLB Carder

LT Glenn

LT/RT Sanders

OC Asper

WR Graham

K Potter

DE Mario Williams

DE Mark Anderson

QB A. Corp

QB A. Tanney

SS Howell

RB F. Jackson

RB T. Choice

TE L. Smith

WR M. Easley

WR D. Jones

WR D. Hagan

OC E. Wood

DT K. Williams

DT T. Troup

DT D. Edwards

DE S. Merriman

MLB K. Sheppard

OLB K. Morrison

SS/OLB B. Scott

CB T. McGee

CB A. Williams

DEFENSE:

Mario Williams

M. Anderson

Gilmore

K. Willams

A. Williams

S. Merriman

K. Sheppard

T. Troup

K. Morrison

B. Scott

OFFENSE:

RB F. Jackson

RB T. Choice

TE L. Smith

WR M. Easley

C. Glenn

E. Wood

Special Teams:

Brooks (ST)

Graham (ST)

Bradham (ST)

Carder (ST)

Howell (ST)

we are definitely going to be a totally different team if we stay healthy, but what makes you think brad smith will have more of an impact this year than last? i am as big of a buddy and chan fan as anyone out there, but i think the brad smith signing was a terrible move.

we are definitely going to be a totally different team if we stay healthy, but what makes you think brad smith will have more of an impact this year than last? i am as big of a buddy and chan fan as anyone out there, but i think the brad smith signing was a terrible move.

Couple of reasons:

Chan has said he was unable to implement a lot of what they wanted to do with Brad last year because of the lockout, and then he was forced into more of a conventional WR role as a result of injuries. Also, the Bills hired the Godfather of the Wildcat (Lee) to the staff, and have a full offseason and camp to put together a package for Smith.

I am very excited to see how the Bills use him this season, and expect a great deal of productivity.