Chan Gailey on OT

Also fewest QB hits and QB pressures....

Really? According to the team stats on NFL dot com, the Bills are middle of the pack for QB hits at ~70. The top team is NO with 51. What's your source that puts them at fewest? I'd love to have a source for QB pressures, too, so please share.

But anyway, the notion that Nix and Chan had to "start from scratch" was never true and this has been pointed out repeatedly by others here. It's many of the same guys playing in 2011 as in 2009. In his first 2 seasons, Buddy brought Dareus, Barnett and a handful of rookies that, when starters were injured, played OK in their places. We will see what happens tonight. But a trade up for Khalil or picking a safety at 10 will tell us that Buddy is going to need more than another year to prove he's a top GM.

I would say that Nix needs more than another year to prove he's a top GM in any event. Top GMs keep teams winning for multiple years. To prove one joins this group, one needs to get a team winning, then keep it there multiple years. But that's a nit.

You and others are correct that many of our starters were on the roster. I think the "start from scratch" concept is a recognition that while the players may have been on the roster, they weren't in their current roles - they were buried on the depth chart or playing a different position. It takes time to figure out that you've got starting talent in a backup role, because (witness Trent Edwards) players react differently when it's Sunday. Some ratchet it up, some don't.

Still, I take the main point to be that Nix has not yet demonstrated genius at talent acquisition, and that's completely correct.

I do recall them running it effectively in those situations. You have relative stats to prove otherwise ? And if so that's primarily on the center from an oline perspective,, so you saying wood sucks too? Or could it have been defenses lack of fear of arm strength for sideline outs, allowing them to stack the box completely?

As for spiller the guy had proven nothing and was being labelled a bust by many almost 2 seasons into his nfl career. Doesn't matter where you're drafted.

I don't, and don't know where to even track down the stats on "and short" runs from various formations. My gut, and it could be wrong- especially months removed- was that our line needed some gimmicks to help convert 3rd and less than 3-4 yards. Early the wildcat did that, and later we ran out of passing formations pulling linebackers off the field and pulling safeties wide. The board wanted to melt down as we passed so often in those situations too. I know that it's hard to dictate in those situations, but I felt like we had to scheme a bit extra to hide shortcomings. Like I said though: gut reaction, not a scientific study. No excel spreadsheets here.

And spiller is talented regardless of what you read from some message board - to have him as a second back meant our talent level was unlikely to plummet when fjax went out. I give credit to our ultra gifted backup rb, and not our beat up line in that situation. We can agree to disagree on this assessment.

So, I see this thread has degenerated into the typical discussion on TSW. Nothing the Bills do is good enough, and anyone who suggests an explanation for why things didn't go according to plan just isn't being realistic.

Got it.

The bigger issue is that he shouldn't have had Spiller ranked so high in the first place. He thought he was drafting Chris Johnson, and he was wrong about that. And yes, it was possible to see that at the time.

You have made a concluding assessment on Spiller that I am not ready to make. You are assuming that what he showed in his first year and the early part of the second year reflect what he is as a player. That is where I strenuosly disagree with the anti-Spiller faction. When Jackson got hurt Spiller gave a glimpse of how good he is. At least to me he deomnstrated that he was a big play player on a team lacking in those type of impactful players.

The mistake your negative faction is making in assessing Spiller is that you are not allowing for player development. Players develop at different rates. He certainly had some problems adjusting to the pro game. I'm confident that in his third year he will become the type of player that the defenses will have to account for. After last year I am more confident than ever that those who are still very critical of the Spiller selection will come around and understand why Nix quickly approached the podium and with no reservation made the pick.

When Nix took over he not only had the callenge of remaking the roster he inheritied but he also needed to first rebuild the mediocre staff. Whaley was hired, Modrak was dispatched and a new head of scouting, Cook, was brought in. The football organization was in shambles when he was hired. There was never going to be a quick fix to what ailed this dismal franchise.

You and others (especially NY Bill) continue to be obsessed with the Spiller pick. Many preferred the selection of RT Bulaga to him. What you are recommending is that in Nix's first draft he should have taken a player ranked 15-20 compared taking a player ranked in the top 10. That approach of reaching for needs is a certain recipe for failure. When Spiller becomes the impact player that he is capable of then the Spiller complaints will be mercifully silenced.

Is Nix a genius and magic man that can immediately turn a generationally bad organization into an instant championship juggernaught? Of course not. Let's not get absurd. Buddy Nix is good football person who is experienced enough to understand how to build a competitive team. He has turned around a dysfucntional and chaotic organization into a more normal and conventional functioning organization. If you factor in the caliber of ownership and his finance people he has to work with you would be much more appreciative of the job he has done.

All organizations make a lot of personnel moves from the draft and free agency market. Not all are going to work out well. It is the nature of the endeavor. But if one is fair minded and takes an overview of what Nix has done from the beginning to the present one would have to say that he has done a good job.

This is not what you initially stated..

Anyway, Nix came in thinking he could trust the judgement of the scouts because he didn't change anything until after 2010. How he could come to that assumption is beyond me simply because the past decade of ineptitude. Nothing in the franchise was in "shambles" as most of all the same personnel were retained. From what I recall only Modrak and Guy were replaced. There is no excuse for bringing in a total crap player like Cornell Green. Remember the wisecrack Nix made about getting some sleep as free agency opened in 2010? Cornell Green and other useless free agents was the result of Buddy Nix getting some sleep for the 2010 free agency period.

The Bills DC was responsible for fielding the worst defense against the run in the 50 year history of the franchise in 2010... so Nix kept him for 2011. Even with all the defensive players brought in for free agency and the draft for 2011 the defense was still horrible save for the turnovers.

I'm not obsessed with the Spiller pick, I'm obsessed with the stupidity that selected a guy that basically was a backup for 2 years on a team desperate for so many starters at so many positions. It didn't need to be Bulaga, it could have been OT Anthony Davis who the 49ers took 2 players after Spiller, oh yeah what a reach. all pro Maurkice Pouncey or all pro DE Jason Pierre- Paul ( lord only knows how desperate the Bills were for a pass rush) or a dozen other players taken in the first round of 2010 that became instant starters and impact players! Remember the line by Chan Gailey. "Spiller will make the line block better" what an utterly ridiculous statement.

Nix might be a very good talent evaluator out in the field, but prior to 2011 he stinks as a GM. Gailey started out grooming Trent Edwards, so that shows what he knows about QB's. Then look at the play calls the second half of last season.

That said, Nix finally fixed the pass rush after 2 horrifically bad defensive years. But, there is still some doubt about the run defense. So far the offense hasn't changed one thing in free agency, and it needs more help then the defense at this point. OL-WR-TE

Like I said, we shall see.

Edited by Fear the Beard

When Nix took over he not only had the callenge of remaking the roster he inheritied but he also needed to first rebuild the mediocre staff. Whaley was hired, Modrak was dispatched and a new head of scouting, Cook, was brought in. The football organization was in shambles when he was hired. There was never going to be a quick fix to what ailed this dismal franchise.

You and others (especially NY Bill) continue to be obsessed with the Spiller pick. Many preferred the selection of RT Bulaga to him. What you are recommending is that in Nix's first draft he should have taken a player ranked 15-20 compared taking a player ranked in the top 10. That approach of reaching for needs is a certain recipe for failure. When Spiller becomes the impact player that he is capable of then the Spiller complaints will be mercifully silenced.

Is Nix a genius and magic man that can immediately turn a generationally bad organization into an instant championship juggernaught? Of course not. Let's not get absurd. Buddy Nix is good football person who is experienced enough to understand how to build a competitive team. He has turned around a dysfucntional and chaotic organization into a more normal and conventional functioning organization. If you factor in the caliber of ownership and his finance people he has to work with you would be much more appreciative of the job he has done.

All organizations make a lot of personnel moves from the draft and free agency market. Not all are going to work out well. It is the nature of the endeavor. But if one is fair minded and takes an overview of what Nix has done from the beginning to the present one would have to say that he has done a good job.

You said that very well and I agree.

So, I see this thread has degenerated into the typical discussion on TSW. Nothing the Bills do is good enough, and anyone who suggests an explanation for why things didn't go according to plan just isn't being realistic.

Got it.

Man, I stumbled on this thread just an hour or so before the draft. I'm so depressed now. Can't there be one day that we are ALL happy at once? If it isn't right before the draft, when the hell is it gonna be? gotta win the superbowl I guess. and i can still see people biatchin.

This is not what you initially stated..

I have no understanding what you are getting at. My responses within this topic have been consistent.

Anyway, Nix came in thinking he could trust the judgement of the scouts because he didn't change anything until after 2010. How he could come to that assumption is beyond me simply because the past decade of ineptitude. Nothing in the franchise was in "shambles" as most of all the same personnel were retained. From what I recall only Modrak and Guy were replaced. There is no excuse for bringing in a total crap player like Cornell Green. Remember the wisecrack Nix made about getting some sleep as free agency opened in 2010? Cornell Green and other useless free agents was the result of Buddy Nix getting some sleep for the 2010 free agency period.

John Guy, the head pro scout, was not retained. Tom Modrak, the head college scout, was not retained. That was not an easy dismissal because it was Modrak who brought Nix back to the organization. What it boils down to is that the scouting department was overhauled within a short period of time after Nix took over.

I'm not obsessed with the Spiller pick, I'm obsessed with the stupidity that selected a guy that basically was a backup for 2 years on a team desperate for so many starters at so many positions. It didn't need to be Bulaga, it could have been OT Anthony Davis who the 49ers took 2 players after Spiller, oh yeah what a reach. all pro Maurkice Pouncey or all pro DE Jason Pierre- Paul ( lord only knows how desperate the Bills were for a pass rush) or a dozen other players taken in the first round of 2010 that became instant starters and impact players! Remember the line by Chan Gailey. "Spiller will make the line block better" what an utterly ridiculous statement.

When Spiller becomes a big play player for us you and the other Spiller critics will have a better understanding as to why Nix selected a top ten player in a top ten position.

Nix might be a very good talent evaluator out in the field, but prior to 2011 he stinks as a GM. Gailey started out grooming Trent Edwards, so that shows what he knows about QB's. Then look at the play calls the second half of last season.

Instead of criticizing Gailey for starting Edwards you should give him credit for making the decision to let him go. He gave Edwards a fair opportunity to start; Edwards proved to be inadequate. Then CG went with the next option in Fitz who has worked out much better. Gailey made his qb decision based on performance----how else are you going to do it?

Like I said, we shall see.

That's right, we shall see. What I can already see is that Nix has turned this once laughing stock and chaotic franchise into a rationally run operation. No one is going to agree with all the personnel decisions, that is impossible. But in general he has done a quality job. At least that is my opinion.

Edited by JohnC