Carrington to the inside?

cage

Appearing on the Bills Blog...

Hmmmm, shouldn't they be looking to get him down to 280 so he can play end more effectively. I don't see a move to the inside as a winner for him. This basically plays Carrington v. Troup to see who survives as a backup. I'd rather give him a shot at knocking off Kelsay on the outside. If he rose to the occasion on that would love to see Williams, Anderson and Carrington as our top 3 DEs

In Buddy we trust??

Last season he played at 305 and was able to handle the weight perfectly fine. It allows the the ends to be Williams, Kelsay, Anderson and Merriman, and gives the Bills an option to draft possibly one more for depth.

IMO, moving in side helps A LOT with depth inside. It also allows us to possibly get rid of Dwan Edwards, who may not work out in a 4-3. So the insides would be Dareus, Williams, Johnson, Heard, Carrington and Troup. Their is multiple options with these guys to effectively stop the run or pass and not see too much of a drop off in production.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I like our depth at DE (Kelsey and Merriman) more than our depth at DT (Johnson, troupe, heard. I like the move and wouldn't be shocked to see him line up at DE once in awhile on running downs.

Edited by NewEra

I'd like him to stay at last years weight, I think he could be a good back up 3 tech. Kelsey and Williams are the starters at DE, on short yardage situations I could see Carrington playing end. In that situation I could also see Merriman playing OLB. Carrington and Merriman both offer flexibility. I know Gailey said Merriman was a DE, but on 3rd and 1, and a two to three TE set, I see him standing up to offer some additional muscle.

I would have preferred the BILLS left Carrington at DE in the 4-3 as well. I just think his natural talent and size allows him to set the edge and be able to be a 3-down lineman, decent pass rush abilities but big and strong enough to be good against the run. However, Wanny is the guy who consistently builds good Defenses so, he obviously knows much more than I do, so I'll trust he knows what's the best way to utilize Carrington's talents and strengths.

I was under the impression that Carrington's natural fit was a 4-3 end. This kid has been moved around throughout his time with the Bills.

Not so much. He was drafted to be a 3-4 end. He even bulked up to fit the need, but that whole 3-4 thing never really materialized.

link doesnt work, but still:

iirc, carrington was a pretty good college DE in a 4-3.

so why move him?

Because this is the mother!@#$ing NFL, baby! It ain't college no more! Dave Wannstache places a premium on pass-rushing skills from his DE's. Carrington may be just a little too slow on the outside for Mr. Stache's tastes.

Carrington will back up Dareus, and Troup will back up KW. I like it. This may very well make Dwan Edwards and Spencer J expendable, saving us a whopping $7.5 million that can go toward extending Freddie J, Byrd, and Levitre.

I think you hit the nail right on the head - I predict that as training moves along we will see Merriman at LB more.

That would be a shock. Merriman is not a 4-3 LB. I could, however, see Merriman "playing" a LB spot on some passing downs, lining up outside Anderson on the R side. That's a scary proposition for an OL.

What has Troup ever done? He's a sure cut in my eyes.

Well, he was hurt. Wound up needing surgery. So I think it's too early to say. If he's healthy, there's no reason to believe he won't be given every opportunity to compete for a backup DT spot.

Troup on twitter today: "My sleeping patterns are horrible. Been this way since i was 13 tho. Still hast caught up to me."

I think the Bills would have drafted someone else in 2nd round had they known this.

Uh-oh.