Debbie Downer Time

OK. Time to splash a little cold water on draft expectations. Here's a list of #10 picks since 2000:

2011 - Gabbert

2010 - Alualu

2009 - Crabtree

2008 - Mayo

2007 - Okoye

2006 - Leinhart

2005 - M. Williams (DET)

2004 - D. Robinson

2003 - Suggs

2002 - L. Jones

2001 - Reynolds

2000 - T. Taylor

It's a pretty grim picture as the #10 spot is littered with total busts (Travis Taylor, Jamal Reynolds, Leinhart), busts in the making (Gabbert), some ok players and two All-Pro/Pro Bowl types (Mayo and Suggs). Maybe it is not a coincidence that the two best players were picked by franchises with strong track records in the draft (NE and BALT). By the ten hole, all the truly elite players are gone and you have to pick one player from a group of 10-15 very comparable players. Not that easy to do.

Here's a reason for optimism however. The #11 pick over the last tweleve years has been treasure trove of great, great players (JJ Watt, Willis, Cutler, Ware, Roethlisberger, Freeney). (Biggest exceptions were two guys named Maybin and McKelvin.) Moral of the story. Forget about need and draft BPA.

Would this not likely be the success/fail rate for almost any pick in the 1st round? Not to mention, just because Jerrod Mayo was taken by New England at 10 in 2008 doesn't mean a different team with a different need and a different draft board would have picked that same player or that the talent level is the same in each individual year.

But thanks for the cold water, now we all know how we should feel and why we should expect certain defeat.

look...bust of no bust we have our choice of one (Reiff) top 10 player in a position of need, or to take a chance or reach on two others (Martin and Glenn), arguably the best or close to the best wr (Floyd) a sure thing LB (Keuchly). I don't see it very likely we are going to get a bust. If there has to be a bust option I'd go with Glenn.

look...bust of no bust we have our choice of one (Reiff) top 10 player in a position of need, or to take a chance or reach on two others (Martin and Glenn), arguably the best or close to the best wr (Floyd) a sure thing LB (Keuchly). I don't see it very likely we are going to get a bust. If there has to be a bust option I'd go with Glenn.

Just to add some spice to the mixture the Bills might take the CB from S. Carolina, Gilmore, or if he is taken ahead of our pick we might then take the CB from Alabama, DreKirpartick.

You are absolutely on target when you state that the Bills have a critcal need at OT. But I don't think Buddy is going to reach with his first selection. The bottom line is that especially with his first three picks he needs to take the best players available. Although many people are calling for the Bills to select Floyd with their first pick I don't see it happening. In other words your guess is as legitimate as my guess.

I think if Kuelchy is still there at 10, we have to take him. Since the LBs in this D are mostly asked to be in zone coverage and react to plays, we all have to understand that he isn't going to rack up sacks. Kuelchy is more of a LB that will probably often lead the team in tackles and grab a couple interceptions a year... AKA boring, but necessary.

Just to add some spice to the mixture the Bills might take the CB from S. Carolina, Gilmore, or if he is taken ahead of our pick we might then take the CB from Alabama, DreKirpartick.

You are absolutely on target when you state that the Bills have a critcal need at OT. But I don't think Buddy is going to reach with his first selection. The bottom line is that especially with his first three picks he needs to take the best players available. Although many people are calling for the Bills to select Floyd with their first pick I don't see it happening. In other words your guess is as legitimate as my guess.

I don't see how Reiff is a reach by any means. Most boards and lists rank him as one of the top 10 players see e.g., http://www.drafttek.com/ and some mocks have him picked as early as round 7. Based on the various mocks, analyses and all I can't see him as a reach by any means.

I don't think Reif is a reach, but I think people here are hard on him because he isn't that exciting. I think that would be a good pick for us, but I also think there is a chance he gets picked before we pick. If reiff is the pick, I'd be happy. I think he is starter material at the very least

I don't see how Reiff is a reach by any means. Most boards and lists rank him as one of the top 10 players see e.g., http://www.drafttek.com/ and some mocks have him picked as early as round 7. Based on the various mocks, analyses and all I can't see him as a reach by any means.

Well, that's better than being a free agent I suppose. At least he won't fall out of the draft entirely.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Great thread. I think it's now clear what we need to do. Why bother drafting anyone at all? Boycott the draft, then Buddy can take the money the franchise saves on airfare and hotel and upgrade the urinal troughs.

Martin is the only bust option of the players you mentioned IMO... The guy is like 7 feet tall n tips over 300 and can bench press 19 Times in the combine? Come on. I understand there's much more to being a Tackle in the NFL and LT in fact, but I'd rather have a guy that can push off defenders thanks... His footwork also isn't that great...

As far as the post, the post has no sense. Every year is a new year with more than likely a different team picking in that slot every year. If the same team picked at #10 for the past 10 years and drafted 10 busts, that would be a post to put in statistics...

Great thread. I think it's now clear what we need to do. Why bother drafting anyone at all? Boycott the draft, then Buddy can take the money the franchise saves on airfare and hotel and upgrade the urinal troughs.

Why start a fuss? Let's just pass our turn.

That would be great. :rolleyes:

And fwiw, Barron is a better DB than Kirkpatrick, in my very strong opinion, this from having seen them both play for years. Jmo, but a strong one.

That would be great. :rolleyes:

And fwiw, Barron is a better DB than Kirkpatrick, in my very strong opinion, this from having seen them both play for years. Jmo, but a strong one.

On the off chance you really are Bill from NYC, are you feeling ok today?

GO BILLS!!!

I hadn't given any thought to Barron, but keep seeing his name pop up lately. This is a bit of a hijack, but where would he fit in with Byrd and Wilson? I'm all for talented Alabama defensive players though.

I hadn't given any thought to Barron, but keep seeing his name pop up lately. This is a bit of a hijack, but where would he fit in with Byrd and Wilson? I'm all for talented Alabama defensive players though.

He is better than either one of them.

On the off chance you really are Bill from NYC, are you feeling ok today?

GO BILLS!!!

LOL!!! I suppose that I used the wrong icon! :)