Who is/was the best? Big Sam, Big Ted or Big Fred

JohninMinn.

Feel free to suggest other Tubs of Goo or Sasquatches..  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Feel free to suggest other Tubs of Goo or Sasquatches..

• Sam Adams
    • Pat Williams
    • Ted Washington
    • Fred Smerlas
    • Jim Dunaway

Tom Sestak

183203[/snapback]

That's who I would vote for. Tom Sestak was absolutly dominating. Too bad his knees gave out shortening his playing days. Here's a guy that should be in the HOF but probably will never happen because Sestak played before the AFL-NFL merger. Larry Felser while working at the Buffalo News as its sports editor, had a HOF ballot and tried for years to get Tom Sestak nominated. BTW Felser pushed hard for Jim Kellys induction just before he retired from his full time duties at the News and had some input on the induction of Billy Shaw.

i never saw sestak, but of the guys on the list i think it is fat ted by a landslide.

when you factor in the pass rush, i think adams becomes his equal.

183233[/snapback]

You have to respect the fact that Big Ted was not only the best, but did it without another massive tackle on the line with him. His 1997 season was among the best seasons a Bills defender has ever had. He not only controlled the middle but rushed the passer and was an incredible sight chasing plays down sideline to sideline. The downside is that Big Ted stopped hustling after he got paid following that 1997 season. He was still an All Pro player, but after seeing his potential it was tough for a lot of fans to accept less than his best. The season Adams is having this year is the best overall by a Bills DT/NT since that great 1997 season Washington had, but nobody on that list stopped the run like Big Ted did.

As for consistency, year after year I'd go with a tie between Big Pat W and Freddie Smerlas. Single best season overall goes to big Ted. Sam is the most disruptive at any given opportunity. I don't know enough about Sestak to comment on him, though I remember his highlights were pretty eye opening when they put him on the Wall...

Fred Smerlas is a d**khead. He was once a great Bill player, but now he is a Patriot ballwasher and consumate Bills basher. Earlier this year he proclaimed the only reason Mike Mullarkey was hired was because he was the cheapest coach available. How's Coach M working out for the Bills, Fred?

PTR

Fred Smerlas is a d**khead.  He was once a great Bill player, but now he is a Patriot ballwasher and consumate Bills basher.  Earlier this year he proclaimed the only reason Mike Mullarkey was hired was because he was the cheapest coach available.  How's Coach M working out for the Bills, Fred?

PTR

183323[/snapback]

I agree, he has turned into a dissapointing Pats' licker, but damn he was good, and for a long time.