Defense, Defense, Defense and more Defense

vaselated was missspelled.lol

I cant get past The George Wilson comment in the OP and then standing up with that. He was pro bowl vote bound before injury and everything i watched last year said out loud that we have one of the best safety tandems in the game yes i watched em all. Watch this year and mark my words. With Byrd Wilson Scott and Searcy we will be something to see.

now if we could bulk up the CB position in the draft ad LB depth, well we could just get stupid good.

That is all i have to say about that mister!

The Bills have already invested heavily in the defensive side in free agency and they've drafted fairly heavily on that side the last two years as well...including 7 of 9 picks last year.

Awesome point, Brandon! :thumbsup:

If the Bills see a defensive player they have higher on their board at #10, they might pull the trigger, but I think this stat says it all.

Actually, no they weren't. The Packers were historically bad (against the pass--ther worst in NFL history), followed closely by the pats and the Saints. Didn't matter because all 3 could score tons of points.

Fitz's yards passing per game was essentially the same in the first 8 games as it was the last 8 games (233 v. 229). He averaged 6 more passes per game in the last 8 games. This was somewhat due to playing from behind, but also to the OC's sometimes baffling abandonment of the running game.

How did the point production compare between the first 8 and second 8 games? In the first 8 games they averages 27.75 points/game. In the last 8, the Bills averaged 18.75 points/game.

Additionally, 230ish yards/game passing isn't much to write home about, especially with lots of that rolled up in garbage time at the end of games they trailed by 2 TDs or more.

I am not necessarily arguing that the Bills must draft offense over defense, particularly in round one. I am arguing that the offense was not very good.

The Draft is only 2 weeks away. I know many knowledgeable people on this board want a LT, or WR as there #1 pick. I for one do not understand this. Buffalos offense last year was not that bad and statistically they were middle of the road. But on defense they were historically bad. On defense I have faith in 5 players. Williams x2, Dareus Barnett, and Bird. I have hope for Aaron Williams, Kelvin Sheppard, Justin Rogers, Martin Anderson and Kellen Heard. Beyond these names the cover is bare on defense. I have no hope in Merriman, Kelsay, Wilson, Edwards, Moats, Battan, White, Mcgee, Florence. I left Leodis out intentionally if Buffalo lets him he will be the AFC represenative in the pro bowl for special teams next year (just my opinion). Some of these players have been here for years and are proven loosers. It is time to add real talent to the defense (i.e. Mario Williams). This is why I think that when it is Buffalo turn to pick in each round. They should look at who is the highest rated defensive player on the board and pick him. With that being said. I would like to predict that Buffalo picks Luke Kuechly at #10 when they pick.

Buffalo has some real talent on offense Fred, CJ, Andy Levitre, S. Johnson.

I have a ton of hope for Kelsay. Sure, he was a terrible linebacker the last couple years, but he has always been an above average end. When he had his hand on the ground last year, I would argue he was our best defensive end. I think we will be pleasantly surprised this year with the help he will get from the rest of the line

Is Searcy talented? Did he contribute at all last year? I know he was a rookie. I know he could not be out a former undrafted wide receiver to get on the field.

If you're hung up on the fact that George Wilson was an undrafted WR then I don't think there is any getting through to you. You realize Wilson has been a Safety since 2007 right? He didn't just make the transition a year ago. Who cares if he was/wasn't drafted? Are you going to say Jason Peters isn't a talented LT because he was an undrafted TE?

We should go offense first 2 rounds at least (if its no kueckly at 10) theres CB depth in this draft we can get 2 like robinson and heyward in the 3/4/5 rounds along with a back up linebacker or two. I think theres less depth on offense this year then defense (draft) wise. If we could come away with a starter WR and T and get a couple good CB's and get depth at LB/DL an grab a QB we will be good

The Draft is only 2 weeks away. I know many knowledgeable people on this board want a LT, or WR as there #1 pick. I for one do not understand this. Buffalos offense last year was not that bad and statistically they were middle of the road. But on defense they were historically bad. On defense I have faith in 5 players. Williams x2, Dareus Barnett, and Bird. I have hope for Aaron Williams, Kelvin Sheppard, Justin Rogers, Martin Anderson and Kellen Heard. Beyond these names the cover is bare on defense. I have no hope in Merriman, Kelsay, Wilson, Edwards, Moats, Battan, White, Mcgee, Florence. I left Leodis out intentionally if Buffalo lets him he will be the AFC represenative in the pro bowl for special teams next year (just my opinion). Some of these players have been here for years and are proven loosers. It is time to add real talent to the defense (i.e. Mario Williams). This is why I think that when it is Buffalo turn to pick in each round. They should look at who is the highest rated defensive player on the board and pick him. With that being said. I would like to predict that Buffalo picks Luke Kuechly at #10 when they pick. Buffalo has some real talent on offense Fred, CJ, Andy Levitre, S. Johnson.

So, you're pretty much saying you're hopeless. Based on your post, I'd concur. If you said you had no clue, I'd concur with that, as well. Try not to get too upset if the Bills go offense against your wishes. I'm sure Buddy Nix knows more about what this team needs than you, I, or anyone else on this board. GO BILLS!!!

How did the point production compare between the first 8 and second 8 games? In the first 8 games they averages 27.75 points/game. In the last 8, the Bills averaged 18.75 points/game.

Additionally, 230ish yards/game passing isn't much to write home about, especially with lots of that rolled up in garbage time at the end of games they trailed by 2 TDs or more.

I am not necessarily arguing that the Bills must draft offense over defense, particularly in round one. I am arguing that the offense was not very good.

I am arguing the same thing.

The Bills struggled to score points the second half of the season. We were behind in several games at the beginning of the season. In the second half of the season, there were only 2 games in which we were down by 2 or more TDs at halftime. Yes we had injuries, but we still had Fitz, Nelson, Stevie and Spiller. When things got tough, Chan's plan was tested and he failed. He had no answer.

Before free agency started I would have totally agreed with the OP.....

But things are different now.....we should still take defensive players but we need to also be thinking about the offensive side of the ball now two.

I just dont want to reach....with the resigning of our own players and the huge free agent aquistions....we have an opportunity to draft for QUALITY and not for need....especially past round 3.

I wouldn't have a problem if Nix and Gailey decided they wanted to finish this defense with a flurry of draft picks, if in so doing they put together a great defense. If they said, "we want to make this defense great. After this, we'll devote next draft and next offseason to the offense." I'd be fine with that, too. I'm guessing they don't see it that way, though. There's more than likely a desire within the organization to capitalize on Mario Williams and Stevie and Co., and start winning. So, balance is probably the direction we'll see.