Charles Romes. Remember?

Hi guys!! As some of you may know, i have a football blog in France, quite well readen and one of the two or three serious football sites in France writing about what's going on in our leagues. For about 20 years all french football loving people think they know something for sure: the one and only frenchmen who ever started in the NFL has been Richard Tardits of the Cards and Patriots in the early 90ies. And then suddenly today i learn in fact the first frenchman who played in the NFL was a Bill: Charles Romes the CB of the 70ies and early 80ies who was born in Verdun France in 1954 (in a US Army base, from american parents, but well as all children born in France he's french!!) So now i dream to interview him for the blog!! Does anyone here know what he has become? how i could find him?

Hi guys!! As some of you may know, i have a football blog in France, quite well readen and one of the two or three serious football sites in France writing about what's going on in our leagues. For about 20 years all french football loving people think they know something for sure: the one and only frenchmen who ever started in the NFL has been Richard Tardits of the Cards and Patriots in the early 90ies. And then suddenly today i learn in fact the first frenchman who played in the NFL was a Bill: Charles Romes the CB of the 70ies and early 80ies who was born in Verdun France in 1954 (in a US Army base, from american parents, but well as all children born in France he's french!!) So now i dream to interview him for the blog!! Does anyone here know what he has become? how i could find him?

Never heard of him.

A great cover CB, shut down sort of guy. I remember him picking off a pass in 1978 against the Jets and taking it back 80 yards. Thanks for the post.

returning a fumble of opening kickoff in 1981 Wild Card game against Jets for touchdown.

Yo Oliver.

I believe he lives in Durham, NC which is where I have lived since 1994. He was working at health and fitness clubs last I heard (10+ years ago)and may be a personal trainer. Google for the health clubs in the area and call them. Plus the obvious...checking LinkedIn and Facebook. Someone already suggested... contact NCCU as well. They may know.

Also, check thru the Buffalo Bills Alumni Foundation:

http://www.buffalobillsalumni.com/

Romes was an excellent player. During most of his career Romes, a 12th rounder played CB opposite 1st rounder Mario Clark although I think in the end, Romes proved to be the better player.

He was a wirey strong guy who wore number 26. Good athlete and pretty tough too.

I do recall seeinng several years ago he had been arrested for petit larceny, stealing cigarettes or something, seem to remember the article said it wasn't his first offense. If he's working in a health club now good for him. One of the best "value picks" the Bills ever made, 12th round draft pick, started for close to or maybe over 10 years.

I saw him at training camp in Fredonia, as he was signing an autograph for me he told me "I ain't afraid of no toast". Ghostbusters was out at the time and the new idea of CB's getting burned like toast was fairly new, it was very funny at the time, especially for a teenager in awe of these guys...

A great cover CB, shut down sort of guy. I remember him picking off a pass in 1978 against the Jets and taking it back 80 yards. Thanks for the post.

Him and Mario Clark were a good combo weren't they?

my brother played football for Verdun in 1966 ,they used to celebrate touchdowns at games on bases by firing 105mm howitzers parked in back of end zones with blanks , what a rush!

i did interview a player of the Chateauroux Air Base a couple of years ago. That could be fun to interview your brother... drop me a pm if that seems possible...

Yo Oliver.

I believe he lives in Durham, NC which is where I have lived since 1994. He was working at health and fitness clubs last I heard (10+ years ago)and may be a personal trainer. Google for the health clubs in the area and call them. Plus the obvious...checking LinkedIn and Facebook. Someone already suggested... contact NCCU as well. They may know.

Well, there is a nice piece of info.

How about the Bills' public relations department? They should have a line on the whereabouts of ex-Bills.

Nice to see your post, Olivier, and how about posting a link to your blog? Oops, few of us can read French, I suppose, but post it anyway. Merci!