DrD's Mock Draft and 53 Man Roster

I love this draft.

I think some of the 5th and 6th round names might be stretches to be there when the Bills pick. None the less if this draft happened in reality, I'd be doing backflips.

I think it's highly unlikely Troup is kept over Heard, baring a spectacular training camp. Injuries or not, the fact of the matter is that Troup has shown exactly nothing during his 2 years in the NFL (other than chronic back problems). Heard is big, explosive, and durable, a very good guy to have for depth.

Ruvell Martin has a strong chance to make the team, the Bills signed him specifically for his ST prowess. Other than SJ and Nelson though, no other WR's are "locked in". The lack of talent behind them is scary, so hopefully the Bills take at least 2 in the draft.

I agree here. Heard played very well in his time on the field. I noticed him a few times holding his ground and pushing the pocket back. He was singled a lot while Dareus was doubled and Heard wasn't washed out too often. Troup is like Easely. A figment of one Bills Drive imagination.

Speaking of Easely unless he or Donald Jones take the Gunner position on Special Teams one of them will be gone. You can pencil Ruvell Martin on the 53 man roster, like it or not. He is the Bills Special Teamer "Ace".

For a change the rest of the NFL will be watching the Bills when they cut down to the 53 man roster.

Batten - Troup - Donald Jones - Marcus Easely - Heard - McGee - Dwan Edwards - Jonny White and Others might be coveted by other teams.

Gonna be some crazy camp battles.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Batten - Troup - Donald Jones - Marcus Easely - Heard - McGee - Dwan Edwards - Jonny White and Others might be coveted by other teams.

Gonna be some crazy camp battles.

So, you bring the good point up...who becomes this years Jabari Greer?

I love the offseason. We can talk about something that could happen (signing and succeeding with another team) about something that hasn't even happened yet (cuts) before the initial event itself started (draft and camp)!

Nice job. Well done.

I'd like to see the Bills draft as follows:

QB-1 R4-Cousins (desperately need a real QB behind Fitz to develop)

WR-1 R1-Blackmon

LT-1 R2-(need a starter)

OC/OG-1 R6-(need a backup OC)

TE-1 R7

OLB-1 R3/R7

MLB-1 R5

CB-2 R4/R5-(need bump & run cover guys)

My 53 man roster:

QB: Fitz/Cousins/B. Smith

RB: Jackson/Spiller/Choice

FB: McIntyre

TE: Chandler/L. Smith

WR: Blackmon/S. Johnson/Nelson/Hagan/Easley

LT: R2/Hairston

OG: Levitre/Urbik/Rheinhart

OC: Wood/R6

RT: Pears/Young

K/P/LS: Lindell/Moorman/Sanborn

DE: M. Williams/Anderson/Merriman/Kelsay/Carrington/(Moats)

DT: K. Williams/Dareus/Sp. Johnson/D. Edwards/Troup

OLB: Barnett/Morrison/R3/Moats

MLB: Sheppard/R5/C. White

CB: A. Williams/Florence/McGee/McKelvin/R4/R5

S: Wilson/Byrd/Scott/Searcy

Bubble players: R7 TE, J. White, Martin, Roosevelt, C. Brown, Jasper, Heard, R7 OLB, J. Rogers.

S. Johnson, WR

Floyd, WR

Nelson, WR

edit:Rooselvelt, WR

Easley, WR

Jones, WR

What you think, folks?

I think Kamar Aiken might show up and take one of the WR spots. Given OTAs and mini-camps (unlike last season), I think Aiken will show a lot, maybe earn a spot.

Time will tell...

Great draft OP.

I would still like to see an upgrade at cornerback. A. Williams looks very promising but his ceiling is unknown at this point. Not sure he'll ever be a #1 CB who can cover the best WRs in the league. I'm not as high on Florence and McGee as a lot of you. Florence was exposed more times last year than ever before. McGee might still be a good #2 CB if he can stay healthy, but I have very little faith in that happening. McKelvin, at this stage of his career, looks to be nothing more than a nickelback. He doesn't have the ball awareness on deep passing plays. He still may be very effective covering slot receivers on underneath routes, however. A better pass rush will help these guys, but I'd still like to see another CB taken early. Good news, the safety spots look like they're in good shape.

Dwan Edwards is good, there's no reason to get rid of him unless you are desperate for the money he's making (I don't believe we are).

He is a 3-4 run stopping DE with no pass rush ability. Hopefully they can trade him for a 7th round pick during trainging camp otherwise he will be in the first waive of cuts.

I agree with this, Fitz is the guy this year. But Thigpen as the only alternative? I suppose Smith could come in a pinch. But is there no decent QB available for depth?

Believe me, I was looking for a backup QB selection as I do not like Thigpen either. Going off of this chart though, who do you like better in rounds 4-7 than the guys in my mock? IMO, there just wasnt anyone at QB that wow'ed me more than the OTs, CBs, and LBs. Interested in any feedback.

I think Kamar Aiken might show up and take one of the WR spots. Given OTAs and mini-camps (unlike last season), I think Aiken will show a lot, maybe earn a spot.

Time will tell...

Yeah, basically after SJ13, Floyd, and Nelson, the remaining WR spots were a crapshoot. I could just as easily plug Aiken in there as I did Jones, Easley, etc.

Great draft OP.

Thanks, I found its SUPER easy when Im not drafting against 31 other teams! :thumbsup: hahaha

Why is it that people here refuse to recognize that Carrington is now a DT?

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster.html

A healthy Troup will be 1st in on the rotation... Edwards is the best against the run in the DT group, will depend if they value that if he stays or not.

I understand they have Carrington currently listed at DT. I just disagree with it.

Same way they have Spencer Johnson listed as DE, but he should be a DT.

It very well may be that they will be playing both positions as versatile role players. Or that my completely amateur, humble opinion is wrong! :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDareustein

Thanks for clicking! Over the weekend I used PFW's draft value chart, and put together a mock draft and my 53-man roster

Draft Disclaimer: I started by identifying our biggest needs as WR, OT, LB, and CB (in no particular order). I then made a 4x4 chart that laid out approximately which players would be available at each position in each round (basically a much smaller version of PFW's chart). I then ran through the different scenarios of addressing all of our needs in different orders. As in, what happens if we go OT-WR-LB-CB vs LB-OT-WR-CB vs CB-LB-WR-OT, etc etc...

Looking at all of the outcomes, I identified what I think is the draft that adds the most talent at each position of need. My final version looks like:

1. Michael Floyd, WR Notre Dame (assuming Blackmon is gone or else he is the pick)

2. Lavonte David, LB Nebraska

3. Casey Hayward, CB Vanderbilt

4a. Brandon Mosley, OT Auburn

4b. Josh Norman, CB Coastal Carolina

5a. Nate Potter, OT Boise St

5b. Demario Davis, LB Arkansas St

6. Tank Carder, LB TCU

7a. Marquis Maze, WR Alabama

7b. Andrew Datko, OT Florida St

While I really like this draft and these players, I'm not necessarily married to anyone specific. If you want to argue we should pick Wagner (OLB) in round 2 instead of David, fine. I'm not going to pretend to have a full scouting report on these guys. I wanted to address some needs of lesser priority, such as backup QB, but when looking at who might be available in the 5th-7th rounds, there just wasnt a QB available that was worth sacrificing a better player for.

Final 53-Man Roster:

Lindell, K

Moorman, P

Sanborn, LS

Brown, C

Wood, C

Levitre, LG

Urbik, RG

Rinehart, G

Hairston, LT

Pears, RT

Mosely, OT

Potter, OT

Caussin, TE

Chandler, TE

Smith, TE

S. Johnson, WR

Floyd, WR

Nelson, WR

Easley, WR

Jones, WR

McIntyre, FB

Choice, RB

Jackson, RB

Spiller, RB

Fitzpatrick, QB

Thigpen, QB

Smith, QB/WR

K Williams, DT

Dareus, DT

Edwards, DT

Heard, DT

edit: S. Johnson, DT/DE

M Williams, DE

Anderson, DE

Kelsay, DE

Merriman, DE

Carrington, DE

Sheppard, ILB

Carder, ILB

Barnett, OLB

Morrison, OLB

David, OLB

Davis, LB

Florence, CB

Williams, CB

McKelvin, CB

Hayward, CB

Rogers, CB

Byrd, FS

Norman, CB/FS

Wilson, SS

Searcy, SS

Scott, S/LB

Practice Squad:

Maze, WR

Datko, OL

Jasper, G

C White, OLB

I do not believe McGee makes it through camp healthy. Or it is at least obvious that he can not keep up anymore.

If Merriman doesnt make it through camp, I replace him with Batten/Eddins

If Easley doesnt make it through camp, I replace him with Aiken or Maze

Could also send CB-Norman to Practice Squad (Wilson backup FS, and Scott backup SS) and keep another player (like a 5th DT).

What you think, folks?

Great effort. And i like the draft except for the first two picks. I just do not see buddy going outside the south in rounds one and two.

I think McGee makes the team, and has a great season. I think White(olb) makes it on the team, if he can stay healthy. He is my sleeper guy.

Great effort. And i like the draft except for the first two picks. I just do not see buddy going outside the south in rounds one and two.

I think McGee makes the team, and has a great season. I think White(olb) makes it on the team, if he can stay healthy. He is my sleeper guy.

That is exactly what was running through my mind the entire time I was working on it "Not enough guys from the South/SEC!" HA!

Love the draft- especially the first four rounds.

On the roster, I think they keep more than 6 LBs. So maybe they don't draft 3. Production aside, I don't want to see Moats go, so I'm hoping Wanny has a use for him.

I'm also wondering if the McKillop signing has any bearing on drafting. As it stands, they've got a slew of backup/depth guys. I'm all for the idea of creating competition and letting the players fight it out, but I guess I'm saying I wouldn't use 3 picks on LBs knowing perhaps 2 won't make the team.

OTOH, if Nix & Co think those three are going to win spots over the guys they already have, I'm all for it.

Good looking draft/53

can't be unhappy about the draft with these picks, the only thing that would be better is if there are some shenanigans in the top 9 and a true blue chipper drops to us

10 is a rough slot, it looks like the value of players available does not match the value of the 10th pick.

but that leads to a more important issue that the bills have not faced in a long long time...

the bills have obvious holes that need to be addressed in this draft, AND they have obvious depth that needs to be trimmed to get down to 53

when was the last time that the bills had such obvious depth along the DL and in the offensive backfield, while having solid starters across the board in every other starting position.

in reality, to field a team that is better on paper than last years starting 53 (before injuries) we really only need a LT that is as good as D. Bell.

After that I would say a #2 WR would be nice, an OLB would be nice and after that the bills are drafting for depth and ST.

After reading more and more of these posts I think that the consensus is that Nix and Buddy have done a great job in the 2 years they have had.

They have built a team that can compete on a yearly basis that has manageable turnover and a core of players that can be retained for years to come.

Now if they could just win a few games and make it to the playoffs....

Thanks for clicking! Over the weekend I used PFW's draft value chart, and put together a mock draft and my 53-man roster

Draft Disclaimer: I started by identifying our biggest needs as WR, OT, LB, and CB (in no particular order). I then made a 4x4 chart that laid out approximately which players would be available at each position in each round (basically a much smaller version of PFW's chart). I then ran through the different scenarios of addressing all of our needs in different orders. As in, what happens if we go OT-WR-LB-CB vs LB-OT-WR-CB vs CB-LB-WR-OT, etc etc...

Looking at all of the outcomes, I identified what I think is the draft that adds the most talent at each position of need. My final version looks like:

1. Michael Floyd, WR Notre Dame (assuming Blackmon is gone or else he is the pick)

2. Lavonte David, LB Nebraska

3. Casey Hayward, CB Vanderbilt

4a. Brandon Mosley, OT Auburn

4b. Josh Norman, CB Coastal Carolina

5a. Nate Potter, OT Boise St

5b. Demario Davis, LB Arkansas St

6. Tank Carder, LB TCU

7a. Marquis Maze, WR Alabama

7b. Andrew Datko, OT Florida St

While I really like this draft and these players, I'm not necessarily married to anyone specific. If you want to argue we should pick Wagner (OLB) in round 2 instead of David, fine. I'm not going to pretend to have a full scouting report on these guys. I wanted to address some needs of lesser priority, such as backup QB, but when looking at who might be available in the 5th-7th rounds, there just wasnt a QB available that was worth sacrificing a better player for.

Final 53-Man Roster:

Lindell, K

Moorman, P

Sanborn, LS

Brown, C

Wood, C

Levitre, LG

Urbik, RG

Rinehart, G

Hairston, LT

Pears, RT

Mosely, OT

Potter, OT

Caussin, TE

Chandler, TE

Smith, TE

S. Johnson, WR

Floyd, WR

Nelson, WR

Easley, WR

Jones, WR

McIntyre, FB

Choice, RB

Jackson, RB

Spiller, RB

Fitzpatrick, QB

Thigpen, QB

Smith, QB/WR

K Williams, DT

Dareus, DT

Edwards, DT

Heard, DT

edit: S. Johnson, DT/DE

M Williams, DE

Anderson, DE

Kelsay, DE

Merriman, DE

Carrington, DE

Sheppard, ILB

Carder, ILB

Barnett, OLB

Morrison, OLB

David, OLB

Davis, LB

Florence, CB

Williams, CB

McKelvin, CB

Hayward, CB

Rogers, CB

Byrd, FS

Norman, CB/FS

Wilson, SS

Searcy, SS

Scott, S/LB

Practice Squad:

Maze, WR

Datko, OL

Jasper, G

C White, OLB

I do not believe McGee makes it through camp healthy. Or it is at least obvious that he can not keep up anymore.

If Merriman doesnt make it through camp, I replace him with Batten/Eddins

If Easley doesnt make it through camp, I replace him with Aiken or Maze

Could also send CB-Norman to Practice Squad (Wilson backup FS, and Scott backup SS) and keep another player (like a 5th DT).

What you think, folks?

That is exactly what was running through my mind the entire time I was working on it "Not enough guys from the South/SEC!" HA!

yeah man, Buddy just seems to me like a guy that is stuck in his ways.

He knows and likes Southern players, hard to argue when the SEC wins the NC every year.

Not sure who i would take in round one, my heart likes Glenn being a UGA fan, but not sold on him this high. If Buddy like it i am cool with it.

What about Glenn in the first and either Hill or Jeffrey in the second??

Good job. I like your mock, but I would not be surprised at a DE prospect instead of one of your LBs, and perhaps a TE instead of one of the OTs.

On the roster, I think at WR Easley, Roosevelt, and Jones are all on the bubble with Easley most likely to stick, and Roosevelt least likely. Final outcome will depend on training camp of course, but I think Clowney and Hagen have strong shots to unseat Roosevelt and Jones who did nothing much to justify their roster spots last year. Letting Ruvel Martin go would be a big surprise as he is an absoloute demon on special teams. I think Troup stays as does Heard - they like them both. It depends on what kind of shape he is in, but the Bills want him to succeed and he would get the benefit of the doubt here. I do not think Dwan Edwards sticks as a DT. If anything, Spencer Johnson makes it as that is his natural position and he can also play outside in a pinch. Kelsay and Merriman get great shots to stay. Carrington needs to step it up to stick, but like Troup, he will get every opportunity.

LB and DB are really up in the air, depending on who they draft. I do agree that McGee will have a tough time making the team. OL is the returning group plus at least on OT they draft. (we better hope so anyway)

Great draft, Dr. D. I agree with MDFan and his personnel selections. Maybe Jones and Easley stick.

Ehhh, not so sure about that. We have 5 picks in the top 125, and 10 picks total. Last year Buddy turned 5 picks in the top 125 into 4 starters. And Searcy looks promising.

No GM (or fan) ever feels as if their roster is "fully complete". There will always be some holes to fill and guys to upgrade. The good news is that we have far less holes than previous years, and that list has been shortened every year Nix has been in charge. If we could pull off this draft (or something similar/better) then we really dont have many holes left, just upgrades.

Playing along, let's assume we pull off this draft. Where are the biggest holes as you see them?

I don't disagree; our list of need positions has been trimmed considerably under the current leadership. My point was merely that we have four to five major needs, depending on your opinion of our young LBs and whether you think we're set at RT, and so several of those needs are going to be addressed outside the first three rounds. This isn't to say there isn't considerable talent available in those slots, I was just trying to give your mock a break from my (and others') initial reflex after seeing no OL drafted in the top three rounds.

As for your question, I honestly don't know what our major holes would be if we hit on all your picks, but I'll bite anyway. I'd like to see how guys like Chris White on the inside, and Batten and Moats on the outside, look in the 4-3 before I question our depth at LB, particularly with David, Davis, and Carder coming on board. You certainly accounted for our needs at WR and CB, in my opinion.

My biggest concern would likely still be at LT. I'm not sure whether we'd have an anchor at LT in Mosley, Potter, or Datko, but I'd love our depth and competition at RT (and possibly guard). I'd be hopeful, though, which is more than I've been able to say about our OL for several years.

I think Mosley could be a beast at RT, and Potter has experience at both tackle positions, and at guard. Datko, if his injuries are behind him, might actually be the best LT prospect of your draft crop-- a 7th round pick is a pretty small investment for a player of his talent-- I'd be thrilled if we drafted him.

Draft

1. Michael Floyd WR

2. Bobby Massie OT

3. Bobby Wagner LB

4a. T.Y. Hilton WR

4b. Nick Foles QB

5a.Demario Davis LB

5b. Keith Tandy CB

6. Tank Carder LB

7a. Chris Greenwood CB

7b. Gino Gradkowski C

My Final 53-Man Roster: