Interesting Chad Pennington Article

IDBillzFan

Last night's performance by the Rams did little to make me feel comfortable about them taking on the Jets. If we're fortunate about anything, it's that the game will be in St. Louis. Other than that, I'm searching for anything that makes me think the Rams have a chance to beat the Jets.

I've been wondering if there is something wrong with Pennington, and to a degree I think his problem is less his arm and more his offensive coordinator. Paul Hackett seems to refuse to modify his game plan. Regardless, this article today from Newsday kinda touches on the fact that SOMETHING is wrong with Chad.

What's Eating Gilbert Pennington?

I didn't think his press conference last Monday was so bad after watching it, but combining that with the way he looked on Sunday, he's morphing into a head case.

183029[/snapback]

Actually, after seeing his picture in that Newsday article, he's morphing into Hermie the Dentist from Rudolph ! :lol:

Last night's performance by the Rams did little to make me feel comfortable about them taking on the Jets. If we're fortunate about anything, it's that the game will be in St. Louis. Other than that, I'm searching for anything that makes me think the Rams have a chance to beat the Jets.

I've been wondering if there is something wrong with Pennington, and to a degree I think his problem is less his arm and more his offensive coordinator. Paul Hackett seems to refuse to modify his game plan. Regardless, this article today from Newsday kinda touches on the fact that SOMETHING is wrong with Chad.

What's Eating Gilbert Pennington?

183020[/snapback]

No, it's the arm. He was exposed late in the 2002 season on a Monday nighter when he wound up for a last second "Hail Mary" from 45 yards out and the ball landed at the 10 yard line. From that point on, good teams have held up on his offspeed stuff and sat on his fastball. Take away the easy completions and make him throw outs and deep stuff to beat you. Pennington was on a remarkable roll, but a couple weeks later the Raiders made him look awful in the playoffs.

The guy is remarkably accurate, well prepared and reads a defense with the best of them but his noodle arm betrays him. He wishes it was something else, because he hasn't been able to improve his arm strength. He put a great deal of effort into strengthening his arm last offseason and the results were unnoticeable until he hurt his shoulder against the Bills.

With regard to Hackett, I think Hackett goes out of his way to cover up Pennington's weaknesses.

No, it's the arm.  He was exposed late in the 2002 season on a Monday nighter when he wound up for a last second "Hail Mary" from 45 yards out and the ball landed at the 10 yard line.  From that point on, good teams have held up on his offspeed stuff and sat on his fastball.  Take away the easy completions and make him throw outs and deep stuff to beat you.  Pennington was on a remarkable roll, but a couple weeks later the Raiders made him look awful in the playoffs.

The guy is remarkably accurate, well prepared and reads a defense with the best of them but his noodle arm betrays him.  He wishes it was something else, because he hasn't been able to improve his arm strength.  He put a great deal of effort into strengthening his arm last offseason and the results were unnoticeable until he hurt his shoulder against the Bills.

With regard to Hackett,  I think Hackett goes out of his way to cover up Pennington's weaknesses.

183074[/snapback]

Badol, local reporters and radio announcers are also claiming that his rotar cuff is injured. Do you see any chance of the rams dbs being able to cheat and stay closer to the line and hamper the running game?

Badol, local reporters and radio announcers are also claiming that his rotar cuff is injured. Do you see any chance of the rams dbs being able to cheat and stay closer to the line and hamper the running game?

183080[/snapback]

Didn't London Fletcher deliver that hit to his shoulder in our last meeting? :lol:

It's Pennington's arm that's the real problem, and with his little outburst last weekend, it's his head that's making it worse now. He knows he has to play lights-out this weekend because his team's hopes, and his rep, depend on it. But with a gimpy arm, a lousy OC, and a lot of factors against him (Bulger 18-2 at home, Martz undefeated as HC in the last month of the season, Rams having something to play for), I see it as a Jets loss. That is, IF Martz uses Steven Jackson early and often.