[closed]Heed the Red Flags

Now, I am NOT saying that a team should NEVER draft a player with off-field concerns. There is a point where a very talented player's upside exceeds his downside due to off-field problems.

However, heed the lesson that the Lions are paying now. Two of their top 3 picks in last year's draft are in trouble and face potential suspensions for drug use. They ignored the red-flags and are (maybe) paying the price.

Here is an article from ProFootballTalk about this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/04/lions-looked-past-character-concerns-in-last-years-draft/

Pretty sure Warren Sapp also tested positive for pot before his draft, didn't stop him from having a great career. When a pass rusher with Fairly's potential falls to 13? you need to take a shot at him. As was discussed ad nauseaum last nite college kids smoking pot is not exactly headline news. Not much difference in teamates having beers or sharing a joint. 10 years from now I think the Lions will be happy with the draft.

Pretty sure Warren Sapp also tested positive for pot before his draft, didn't stop him from having a great career. When a pass rusher with Fairly's potential falls to 13? you need to take a shot at him. As was discussed ad nauseaum last nite college kids smoking pot is not exactly headline news. Not much difference in teamates having beers or sharing a joint. 10 years from now I think the Lions will be happy with the draft.

Your point about pot just being pot is a fair one. And I don't think most NFL GMs in today's age would eliminate a prospect based on that alone. But pot becomes an issue AFTER they become pros. When you continue a behavior that can literally jeopardize your career in the form of failed drug tests, etc. it points to a maturity issue. So while Mayhew was right in ignoring the red flag coming out of college I can guarantee he won't ignore it any longer. He can't. I see a sitdown with Fairley where Mayhew has a "come to Jesus" meeting with him.

GO BILLS!!!

But there IS a MAJOR difference between an EMPLOYEE making millions and subject to drug testing smoking pot and a stupid college kid. Ironic that a drug test is grounds for termination in he real world but it's nothing more than PR for the nfl.

[This is an automated response]

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread.

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.