Things You Bought, but Don't Necessarily Need

ajzepp

Last night I upgraded to 100meg internet service...it just got me thinking, what sorts of things have you guys purchased that you didn't really need, but just "because"? We can always debate want vs need, but I'm talking about things that you're not even really sure you'll ever use, but you bought it anyway.

condoms

:devil:

Last night I upgraded to 100meg internet service...it just got me thinking, what sorts of things have you guys purchased that you didn't really need, but just "because"? We can always debate want vs need, but I'm talking about things that you're not even really sure you'll ever use, but you bought it anyway.

I'll answer for Beerboy......

After the 4,833rd inflatable date, do you really need any more?

I purchased a Sony Playstation 3, thinking it would revive my dying interest in video games...not so...it is now used exclusively as a back-up Blu-ray player...I did get a good deal on it, but I really didin't need it. And, so it goes without saying, the Madden 2011 and Madden 2012 games I purchased afterwards were a waste of money too! :P

Engagement ring for my wife

wedding band for me

cuff links

a jigsaw

a grill

anything on my wedding registry

cable tv

ouch, brother...I feel ya...been there myself.

I purchased a Sony Playstation 3, thinking it would revive my dying interest in video games...not so...it is now used exclusively as a back-up Blu-ray player...I did get a good deal on it, but I really didin't need it. And, so it goes without saying, the Madden 2011 and Madden 2012 games I purchased afterwards were a waste of money too! :P

lol, my xbox 360 got use initially, but ended up being my back-up Netflix streaming device

condoms

:devil:

:lol:

I'll answer for Beerboy......

After the 4,833rd inflatable date, do you really need any more?

maybe it's time for beer to upgrade to a tranny?

A baby grand piano.

God, I'm not even kidding, for once.

Wow, I've always been in awe of how a baby grand looks in a living room. Very classy.

That's because you don't play with me anymore. :(

0:)

Remeber that time we were on the xbox with your bro, and I told him to hit a certain button for "speed boost"? Then next thing you know his character is falling out of the helicopter at 500 feet :devil: I still laugh about that...when GTA V comes out later this year, I'll fire it up again if you're interested :)

A baby grand piano.

I'd take it. I miss having one handy to play.

Remeber that time we were on the xbox with your bro, and I told him to hit a certain button for "speed boost"? Then next thing you know his character is falling out of the helicopter at 500 feet :devil: I still laugh about that...when GTA V comes out later this year, I'll fire it up again if you're interested :)

I don't think he'd fall for that again. :lol:

That's not good enough ...I need to play now! :P. Sure I'd be interested. Maybe we can have a tbd group play.

A baby grand piano.

I killed a baby grand once. I played in a rock band in high school. We had a baby grand in our house. We told my mom we'd refinish it (it had been sun bleached seeing it sat in front of windows for probably 40 years, it was my mom's when she was a kid). We took it and started to scrap it down to the original wood and we used it for gigs. Imagine a bunch of 15 year olds playing high school gigs with a !@#$ing baby grand. We kicked ass! Well one spring when the weather got warm we jammed outside and took the baby grand out with us. We took a break, smoked some doobies and were done for the day. The thunder clouds rolled in and we were too stoned to take the piano inside so we just covered it with a tarp. Yup, the mother!@#$er was toast. We warped the soundboard. Ok so I'm 50 my mom is 86 and when she brings it up it's like I'm 15 again. She'll never forgive me.

Edited by Chef Jim

Good timing for this question as I just ordered something I certainly don't "need" but was so cool, I couldn't pass it up.

As my log in name suggests... I live in New Zealand. (I'm originally from outside of Rochester)

Anywho... My wife and I just bought a house on an incredible piece of land overlooking Tasman Bay and the mountains beyond, in Nelson NZ.

It's an old house that's gonna need a LOT of work. but the potential is there.

One of the first things we want to build is a big deck off the back which overlooks the sea.

There's a lighthouse in the view and ships pass back and forth, making me always scramble for my binoculars to take in the view.

That being said, I was looking on line for a proper telescope that I could keep out in the back sun room.

During my Internet searches, I stumbled on this...

http://www.hispyviewing.com/category/special-offers/

Yeah, it's an authentic "viewer" that used to look over Niagara Falls.

It's a totally frivolous purchase, but my wife and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to have such an iconic thing from "home" to be placed on the new deck.

It's on the boat as I type this and should arrive sometime next week!

Oh, and my Triumph 1050 Tiger is something that I don't "need", but couldn't imagine living without.

Go Bills!

Good timing for this question as I just ordered something I certainly don't "need" but was so cool, I couldn't pass it up.

As my log in name suggests... I live in New Zealand. (I'm originally from outside of Rochester)

Anywho... My wife and I just bought a house on an incredible piece of land overlooking Tasman Bay and the mountains beyond, in Nelson NZ.

It's an old house that's gonna need a LOT of work. but the potential is there.

One of the first things we want to build is a big deck off the back which overlooks the sea.

There's a lighthouse in the view and ships pass back and forth, making me always scramble for my binoculars to take in the view.

That being said, I was looking on line for a proper telescope that I could keep out in the back sun room.

During my Internet searches, I stumbled on this...

http://www.hispyviewing.com/category/special-offers/

Yeah, it's an authentic "viewer" that used to look over Niagara Falls.

It's a totally frivolous purchase, but my wife and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to have such an iconic thing from "home" to be placed on the new deck.

It's on the boat as I type this and should arrive sometime next week!

Oh, and my Triumph 1050 Tiger is something that I don't "need", but couldn't imagine living without.

Go Bills!

How cool is THAT? I always enjoy when you chime in...I was pretty fascinated by your story when you posted about moving to NZ. It's funny, cause I spend my day talking with mostly seniors about managing their health. Many of them travel abroad, and it's funny how many times I've heard people mention the medical care in NZ. I don't know what the hospitals are doing there, but it's quite an amazing experience for those who have needed care during their trips. It sounds silly, but ever since I saw that movie about the NZ girl and the whale (Whale Rider?), I've wanted to move there lol.

Hey, thanks for that!

Interesting comment on our health system here is NZ. I really don't know what they could be referring to other than ithe fact that it's totally free.

(yeah that's right you right-wingers up there... NZ has great universal healthcare. Now only for us residents, but for anyone visiting. If ANYONE experiences any sort of accidental injury, it's paid for. No problem)

Yeah, whale rider was a very good movie, but it didn't really show anything of our scenery as it was filmed in the far north where theres really not that much happening.

At least The Lord of the Rings showed some of our mountainous areas.

C'mon down sometime... We'd love to have you!

Go Bills!

How cool is THAT? I always enjoy when you chime in...I was pretty fascinated by your story when you posted about moving to NZ. It's funny, cause I spend my day talking with mostly seniors about managing their health. Many of them travel abroad, and it's funny how many times I've heard people mention the medical care in NZ. I don't know what the hospitals are doing there, but it's quite an amazing experience for those who have needed care during their trips. It sounds silly, but ever since I saw that movie about the NZ girl and the whale (Whale Rider?), I've wanted to move there lol.