The USA is stingy

Pete

No doubt the USA will pump in alot more then $15 million- expotentially more. My problem was with the way it was handled to begin with. President Bush should of spoke within 24 hours of the tragedy. The President could of said something to the effect of "heres an initial $15 million donation. More is on the way. Troops are on the way. The USA always helps out our friends in need". Instead it looks like our hand is forced by that UN comment. I like the way Powell and Bush have responded to the "stingy" criticisms though. The USA should always lead the world in humanitarian aid IMO.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt the USA will pump in alot more then $15 million- expotentially more.  My problem was with the way it was handled to begin with.  President Bush should of spoke within 24 hours of the tragedy.  The President could of said something to the effect of "heres an initial $15 million donation.  More is on the way.  Troops are on the way.  The USA always helps out our friends in need".  Instead it looks like our hand is forced by that UN comment.  I like the way Powell and Bush have responded to the "stingy" criticisms though.  The USA should always lead the world in humanitarian aid IMO.

185520[/snapback]

The estimates within 24 hours of the tragedy were 3000 dead. The scale of this tragedy was nowhere near apparent until about 60-72 hours after it happened (technically, it's still not apparent; it's absolutely stunning how the scope of this keeps getting bigger and bigger five days later.) So what you're saying is that the president should get up in front of the press the moment anything happens and say "Even though this isn't too bad, we're going to hand out a buttload of money because we can."

And the $15M in aid - and the two battle groups, and the military command to coordinate everything - was announced before that prick at the UN mouthed off.

The estimates within 24 hours of the tragedy were 3000 dead.  The scale of this tragedy was nowhere near apparent until about 60-72 hours after it happened (technically, it's still not apparent; it's absolutely stunning how the scope of this keeps getting bigger and bigger five days later.)  So what you're saying is that the president should get up in front of the press the moment anything happens and say "Even though this isn't too bad, we're going to hand out a buttload of money because we can." 

And the $15M in aid - and the two battle groups, and the military command to coordinate everything - was announced before that prick at the UN mouthed off.

185530[/snapback]

I get the impression there is nothing Bush could've done in the aftermath of this tragedy that would've saved him from criticism. Either he isn't doing enough or he's sending too much money and resources overseas when we need them here. Either he rushes into this like a 'cowboy' or he's dragging his feet.

I get the impression there is nothing Bush could've done in the aftermath of this tragedy that would've saved him from criticism.  Either he isn't doing enough or he's sending too much money and resources overseas when we need them here.  Either he rushes into this like a 'cowboy' or he's dragging his feet.

185547[/snapback]

No different than Clinton's response to the embassy bombings...he was accused of responding to distract from the Lewinski scandal. Had he done nothing...he would have been accused of being soft on national security. Had he done anything else...his detractors would have found some way of spinning it into "Clinton's a weak immoral slime-ball." The truth is, simply, that people do what they can or have to, and boundless partisanship sniping goes on regardless.

I get the impression there is nothing Bush could've done in the aftermath of this tragedy that would've saved him from criticism.  Either he isn't doing enough or he's sending too much money and resources overseas when we need them here.  Either he rushes into this like a 'cowboy' or he's dragging his feet.

185547[/snapback]

The $15 million pledge was made on the 28th. It was quite apparent how widespread teh devastation was. There were 50,000+ dead at that point and you knew that total was gonna skyrocket. President Bush could of spoke at that point and noone would of accused him of being a "cowboy". I made the post on the 28th after watching the horror all day on TV and being ashamed that was all we were giving. Our hand does look forced and thats a damn shame for all the hard work our military and volunteers are doing.

The Bush administration, under pressure to do more, said it is sending military assets and trying to better coordinate with other donors in the region

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4250288

The $15 million pledge was made on the 28th.  It was quite apparent how widespread teh devastation was.  There were 50,000+ dead at that point and you knew that total was gonna skyrocket.  President Bush could of spoke at that point and noone would of accused him of being a "cowboy".  I made the post on the 28th after watching the horror all day on TV and being ashamed that was all we were giving.  Our hand does look forced and thats a damn shame for all the hard work our military and volunteers are doing. 

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4250288

185565[/snapback]

In other words, aid was pledged when the extent started to become known. :D And the extent, as known Tuesday, was about 12k. Basically...you're bitching because you don't have your facts straight.

The NPR story, by the way, is just plain wrong. The military assets were committed Tuesday afternoon. The UN's "pressure" started Wednesday, same date as the NPR story. Unless NPR is trying to argue that Bush was pressured into doing something he'd already done...

Apparently the total worldwide is about $500m so far. Eventually it will get to the point of diminishing returns - the key now is SPEED. There are people who haven't eaten for 5 days, have no water, and bodies fouling the air and water. Ugh.

Good thing that corporations are always looking for good PR. I don't remember seeing WallyWorld in this article but surely it's there.

Some little kids in my area are selling their toys (Legos I think) on eBay to raise money for the relief efforts.

Donations

Apparently the total worldwide is about $500m so far.  Eventually it will get to the point of diminishing returns - the key now is SPEED.  There are people who haven't eaten for 5 days, have no water, and bodies fouling the air and water.  Ugh.

Good thing that corporations are always looking for good PR.  I don't remember seeing WallyWorld in this article but surely it's there.

Some little kids in my area are selling their toys (Legos I think) on eBay to raise money for the relief efforts. 

Donations

186018[/snapback]

Britain citizens pledged 23 million pounds in 24 hours. Pounds>$

Britain citizens pledged 23 million pounds in 24 hours.  Pounds>$

186156[/snapback]

instead of bitching on an internet message board, why don't you do something to help these people out...organize a charity sale of some sort, collect change and donations from friends and family and send them a large check...

instead of bitching on an internet message board, why don't you do something to help these people out...organize a charity sale of some sort, collect change and donations from friends and family and send them a large check...

186274[/snapback]

Because that sounds like an awful lot of work and Pete's got a backpacking trip to plan for.

If you go to eBay you will see that MissionFish has a number of charity auctions there to benefit tsunami victims. I participated after 9/11 - sold my kid's Christmas presents as a matter of fact. Just watch out, some of these folks are only donating a small portion of the proceeds. I only bid on those with 100% donation.

And I see that the US has upped the figure to $350m. That's more like it.

Because that sounds like an awful lot of work and Pete's got a backpacking trip to plan for.

186621[/snapback]

who the hell is bitching about how much money Britain citizens donated? God bless them! I am very impressed. 23 million pounds in 24 hours is very impressive! 23 million pounds= 44.6 million$. Not too shabby for a country of 60 million and a GNP of 1.6 billion$. Very impressive Great Britain!

who the hell is bitching about how much money Britain citizens donated?  God bless them!  I am very impressed.  23  million pounds in 24 hours is very impressive!  23 million pounds= 44.6 million$.  Not too shabby for a country of 60 million and a GNP of 1.6 billion$.  Very impressive Great Britain!

186737[/snapback]

In a unsurprising turn of events, Pete again missed the point.