Mike Mayock: Blackmon vs Floyd

1B4IDie

If anyone has concerns about Floyd...read this article AP article on Floyd

"“This is why I coach,” Irish coach Brian Kelly said this week. “To see a young man change the course of his life, and see that on a day-to-day basis, it’s probably as rewarding as any singular victory. And that’s what Michael Floyd has done. And that feels good as a coach that you can see a young man who is in a good place. He wasn’t in such a good place, but now he is, and that’s important.”"

I wouldn't be too swayed by anything Brian Kelly has to say about character. Having said that I don't think Floyd will be a character problem in the NFL.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be too swayed by anything Brian Kelly has to say about character. Having said that I don't think Floyd will be a character problem in the NFL.

Was just trying to provide some other information, such as quotes from his HC, WR coach, and Floyd himself...

Not saying it is the end all be all, just trying to put some info out there

I see lots of talk about hill sanu and Jeffery, but what about Kendal wright? He's the 3rd ranked receiver. He reminds me of Parrish but wrights got glue for hands and can take a big hit without dropping the ball or getting injured. Played with rg3

OK the Video is back up. It just was added to the ASU pro day Brock Osweiler, Vontaze Burfict, and Michael Floyd.

The Michael Floyd piece starts at about the 2:32 mark:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d827f6454/On-the-draft-board

A little fluff piece on Floyd:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-first-draft/09000d5d827f0094/First-Draft-Michael-Floyd

Some quotes:

"I'm physical guy, I like to start physical . . ."

"I really like Larry Fitzgerald . . .act like you've been there before."

"I'm a hard worker. I believe hard work beats talent. . ."

"I'm a jokester when needed . . ."

Oh now Stevie and Michael both cracking jokes, he might fit right in to the "Goon Squad."

Says all the right things, but what else is he going to say . . . "I'm weak, don't work hard, want to be a Diva like T.O. and everyone hates me, I'm a dickhead."

Edited by Why So Serious?

Talent has never been the issue with Floyd; at least not in my opinion.

I've always been of the opinion that--when a player has off-field incidents--it should raise a red flag with the FO. However, that doesn't mean you don't draft the guy, but rather that you need to make significantly more effort to get comfortable with his character and maturity level if you're serious about drafting him. If Nix and Gailey have done so for Floyd, and feel comfortable, then I'm all for it.

As to Hill, I understand your point, but I think you are over-stating things. I believe he was more likely a 3rd-4th round prospect pre-combine, and now he'll definitely go in the top 35 picks. I'm not sure that's wrong either...it's not that teams will draft him specifically based off of his combine numbers, but rather that his impressive numbers make teams go back and watch more of his on-field performance. While his opportunities were limited, he was very impressive in terms of his speed and physicality, so it doesn't really surprise me that he's a rising prospect.

Just my 1 cent...

Yeah, I agree - Floyd looks great. He's big, solid, quick, catches great. So what if he was drinking in college! Kids drink in college. If ever you are going to drink, it is in college. As for Hill, I'm torn. I really like his look, size, speed, etc. Yet, the fact that the offense he played in was so much, as has been stated, run first, he just hasn't done enough to merit a sure vote of confidence. Yet, I'm sold on letting the professionals make these judgements. If I can evaluate anywhere near as the NFL scouts do, we'll see Hill go no later than the Bills pick in the second round.

I'm on the record, too, as saying I wouldn't mind the Bills going WR with their first and second picks - Floyd, Hill, and then go LT and LB in the 3rd and 4th rounds. It'd leave us having to really strike gold with those later picks, but it'd also leave us set up, offensively, for the next 4 to 5 years. And, if Fitz can't make it work with those weapons, why another QB will have a beautiful offense to step into (I'm thinking Detroit here - both in firepower, lack of complete O-line, yet still having big offensive production, and also their going DT two years in a row - the stacking up, build to the strengths type philosophy).

Edited by sllib olaffub

If Floyd was there at 10 I don't see how you don't take him unless a tackle of equal value falls to you. I think you could find a tackle in the second round or try to sign McNeil or Bell (But I suspect Bell will go to Philly) if you don't think Hariston is ready yet.

But what Floyd brings to the offense is more valuable than what a second grade LT would currently bring. Hell why not just bring in McNeil if they really want a tackle. You can also trade up in the second to maybe grab a tackle if you really are set on one. The extra 4th gives us some flexibility in trading up.

Mike Mayock said when it comes to the tape Michael Floyd is just as good as Blackmon.

He went in to say "If it wasn't for. . . He has struggled with alcohol . . . Listen when you look at the tape . . ." to paraphrase he said he is a big, strong, can win jump balls, runs great routes and "is probably the best blocking WR in the draft."

He went on to say it is going to be up to a GM to determine how comfortable they are with his off the field stuff. He never went on to finish the thought about "If it wasn't for. . . " he kind of stumbled around his words on that.

He said he expects Floyd to be a "top 12" pick so if you take the early "IF it wasn't for. . ." to the bext logical step, talent wise you're getting an elite, skilled WR at #10 that dropped because of off the field stuff a la Randy Moss and Dez Bryant.

What's strange is the video was taken down from NFL.com.

Now that the beloved Mike Mayock has echoed my sentiments on Floyd anyone feel better about the Floyd pick?

Edit:

The video is back up and was added to the ASU pro day video.

It turns out Mayock didn't stumble over his words as much as a

I remembered. The Floyd discussion starts at 2:32:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d827f6454/On-the-draft-board

(Mayock also agrees with me that Vontaze Burficit is not draftable.)

Starting to like him more, wish I saw more games of him though as the one I did see I wasn't impressed.

I am a ND fan and I am biased. I also watched almost every game this kid played. Anyone who doubts his talent as a football player is nuts, he would be a steal at ten. He is big, fights for balls and is universally seen as the best blocking WR in the draft. The offense ran through him, he was doubled as much as any college player and he still produced and a great rate. He can do it all at the position and represents the least risk if available at ten. And yes I am including his off field incidents.

PS-The route tree that Gailey runs will, more often than not, require Floyd to get separation at the line not ten yards downfield. Floyd will come in physically mature enough to play at the NFL level to accomplish this and I would imagine would get better with experience.

Michael Floyd looks like Top 10 pick at Notre Dame Pro Day

At Notre Dame’s Pro Day, Floyd put on a performance that firmly establishes him as the No. 2 receiver in this year’s NFL draft, just behind Oklahoma State’s Justin Blackmon. NFL Network’s Mike Mayock, who saw plenty of Floyd while calling Notre Dame games on NBC, liked what he saw on the field and liked what he saw at Notre Dame’s practice facility today.

“Michael Floyd, to me, had an excellent workout,” Mayock said on Path to the Draft. “What you get with Michael Floyd, you get a 6-foot-3, 220-pound wide receiver who gets tremendous breaks in and out. His explosion off the line of scrimmage is exceptional — I would compare it to Blackmon.”

Most projections have Blackmon off the board somewhere in the 3-6 range, and Mayock said he sees Floyd going shortly after that.

“I think the interest should start at No. 7 with Jacksonville, Miami at 8, Carolina at 9, Buffalo at 10,” Mayock said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/michael-floyd-looks-like-top-10-pick-at-notre-dame-pro-day/

Michael Floyd looks like Top 10 pick at Notre Dame Pro Day

At Notre Dame’s Pro Day, Floyd put on a performance that firmly establishes him as the No. 2 receiver in this year’s NFL draft, just behind Oklahoma State’s Justin Blackmon. NFL Network’s Mike Mayock, who saw plenty of Floyd while calling Notre Dame games on NBC, liked what he saw on the field and liked what he saw at Notre Dame’s practice facility today.

“Michael Floyd, to me, had an excellent workout,” Mayock said on Path to the Draft. “What you get with Michael Floyd, you get a 6-foot-3, 220-pound wide receiver who gets tremendous breaks in and out. His explosion off the line of scrimmage is exceptional — I would compare it to Blackmon.”

Most projections have Blackmon off the board somewhere in the 3-6 range, and Mayock said he sees Floyd going shortly after that.

“I think the interest should start at No. 7 with Jacksonville, Miami at 8, Carolina at 9, Buffalo at 10,” Mayock said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/michael-floyd-looks-like-top-10-pick-at-notre-dame-pro-day/

Who does Mayock work for in the fall calling games ? Anybody ? Anybody ? Blackmon to Floyd = Fitzgerald to Crabtree = Incredible football player to Prima Donna. No thanks on Floyd. Give me DeCastro and Juron Criner in the third and I win over Floyd.

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY