Fred Jackson Article (and live interview)

One of my friends here in Chicago (a Coe College grad) just sent along this article about Freddy: LINK

The biggest takeaway is Freddy expressing confidence in Nix's promise to "take care of him." :thumbsup:

*ALSO*

A Quick Brad Butler Update:

I personally believe Butler's abrupt retirement left a vacuum on our offensive line. The guy could play, he held down the RT position quite reliably, and it's been tough finding a long-term replace since.

As some of us already know, Brad was a pretty brainy fellow. Having graduated from UVA, he spent at least one off season working the political scene in New York State.

Now he attends Kellogg Business School at Northwestern (nothing to scoff at).

One of Butler's classmates is a very dear friend of mine (one of the co-hosts of our Bills podcast), he's a huge Bills fan and an Orchard Park native.

Well, him and Butler are going through MBA school together now, and here's the report:

Butler's a huge guy (6'7"), so he immediately stands out. HOWEVER, he has dropped a TON of weight and my buddy now describes him as "skinny."

Brad also grew his hair long.

But here's the real interesting thing--I'd say every Kellogg student had at least anywhere from 3-10 years of work experience prior to pursuing their MBA's. So the question "what did you do before business school?" is a common one.

Here's how the line of questioning goes with Butler:

-What did you do before business school?

-I worked for the NFL.

-Wow, that's interesting! Where did you do that?

-Buffalo.

-So you worked for The Bills?

-Yes.

-What did you do for them?

-I was a player.

He makes no mention of being a key contributer, a starter, nothing like that, and to a certain extent, he even hides the fact that he used to be an NFL player. I don't think it has anything to do with being ashamed of playing for The Bills, he just wants to separate his new professional self from that prior idendity.

Anyhow. I thought that was intersesting, I enjoyed the Freddy article/interview, and wanted to pass these items along to break up the TSW "we should trade so-and-so up/down/all around" madness that is the weeks leading up to the draft.

P.S. We should draft DeCastro :devil:

One of my friends here in Chicago (a Coe College grad) just sent along this article about Freddy: LINK

The biggest takeaway is Freddy expressing confidence in Nix's promise to "take care of him." :thumbsup:

*ALSO*

I personally believe Butler's abrupt retirement left a vacuum on our offensive line. The guy could play, he held down the RT position quite reliably, and it's been tough finding a long-term replace since.

As some of us already know, Brad was a pretty brainy fellow. Having graduated from UVA, he spent at least one off season working the political scene in New York State.

One of Butler's classmates is a very dear friend of mine (one of the co-hosts of our Bills podcast), he's a huge Bills fan and an Orchard Park native.

Well, him and Butler are going through MBA school together now, and here's the report:

Butler's a huge guy (6'7"), so he immediately stands out. HOWEVER, he has dropped a TON of weight and my buddy now describes him as "skinny."

But here's the real interesting thing--I'd say every Kellogg student had at least anywhere from 3-10 years of work experience prior to pursuing their MBA's. So the question "what did you do before business school?" is a common one.

-I worked for the NFL.

-Buffalo.

-Yes.

-I was a player.

He makes no mention of being a key contributer, a starter, nothing like that, and to a certain extent, he even hides the fact that he used to be an NFL player. I don't think it has anything to do with being ashamed of playing for The Bills, he just wants to separate his new professional self from that prior idendity.

Anyhow. I thought that was intersesting, I enjoyed the Freddy article/interview, and wanted to pass these items along to break up the TSW "we should trade so-and-so up/down/all around" madness that is the weeks leading up to the draft.

Technically, he did not work for the NFL, but for Buffalo Bills Inc. Maybe by the time he graduates Kellogg, he'll know how to differentiate legal entities. :ph34r:

*ALSO*

-I worked for the NFL.

-Buffalo.

-Yes.

-I was a player.

Thanks for the post!

Nice update, but the lead in to the Brad Butler bit was incorrect. Butler played decently, not great, at guard for the Bills. He was was switched to RT in his fourth year with the Bills, got hurt in his second at the position, and never played again for the Bills as he elected to retire in Feb 2010 to pursue other interests. He may have made a fine RT, but we will never know.

Edited by Spiderweb