Kellen Moore, Boise State

It's a bet because the poster or fan is saying I like this guy, it doesn't matter that he is a 6th rounder, 6th rounders become franchise QBs, too, like Tom Brady. Don't discount 6th rounders. The fan is thinking this is where we are going to get our franchise QB. Don't bother wasting a #1 pick on a QB we can get our franchise guy in the 6th. So yes, it is a bet. And it's a criminally horrible bet.

To give you a serious response: No serious football GM has ever said "don't bother wasting a #1 pick on a QB se can get our franchise guy in the 6th".

What the football GM is saying is "we need a whole football team, and even in the 1st round it's about a 30% chance that a QB will really become The Man and additional 20% chance he'll be a solid starter. If we think we have a QB who can be a solid starter, we're not mortgaging the farm to move up for the latest shiny toy - we'll take him or any other QB prospect we like, if he falls to us"

A separate sentence is "sure, take a flyer on a 6th or 7th round guy if there's one you like. Next year, take another flyer. It costs us next to nothing since other players drafted there don't have a high success rate. If we get a gem, polish him. If we get a dud, cut him and move on". It's not a criminally horrible bet, it's not an attempt to find a franchise QB despite all the angsting of fans worried someone would steal Levi Brown off waivers from us, it's just business.

The fact that you (or any other fan) want the Bills (or any other team) to make a different QB decision on your timing not theirs is a third separate notion.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To give you a serious response: No serious football GM has ever said "don't bother wasting a #1 pick on a QB se can get our franchise guy in the 6th".

What the football GM is saying is "we need a whole football team, and even in the 1st round it's about a 30% chance that a QB will really become The Man and additional 20% chance he'll be a solid starter. If we think we have a QB who can be a solid starter, we're not mortgaging the farm to move up for the latest shiny toy - we'll take him or any other QB prospect we like, if he falls to us"

A separate sentence is "sure, take a flyer on a 6th or 7th round guy if there's one you like. Next year, take another flyer. It costs us next to nothing since other players drafted there don't have a high success rate. If we get a gem, polish him. If we get a dud, cut him and move on". It's not a criminally horrible bet, it's not an attempt to find a franchise QB despite all the angsting of fans worried someone would steal Levi Brown off waivers from us, it's just business.

The fact that you (or any other fan) want the Bills (or any other team) to make a different QB decision on your timing not theirs is a third separate notion.

Thanks for the sanity. I'd like to add to this that a number of fans here CLAMORED for us to take a look at Matt Flynn. Google will reveal where the guy was drafted. The jury is still very much out on him, but respected people think he has potential to be a starter, even if they are not willing to hand him the job outright.

It also bears mentioning that "he's another Ty Detmer," "he's another Jamarcus Russell," "he's another Brett Favre" tells so little of the story. It's an argument-ender that simply defines how someone already feels about a player (and I myself have adjusted to this, because I've been guilty of the same thing, even recently). Who is Brett Favre without the Green Bay Packers? Quite likely he's a guy who is a career disappointment for the Falcons. Who is Matt Schaub if he stays in Atlanta? Who is Aaron Rodgers if he gets drafted by the mid-00's Buffalo Bills? The truth is we have no answer for that, but if we don't recognize the impact of a players' surroundings - organizational strength, supporting cast onfield, effective coaching - then we're not even telling half the story.

I think Moore is a nice fit not just because I like what he's done in college, but also because of what Chan Gailey might make of him. So far Gailey has taken a less heralded QB than even Moore and made him into at least a middle of the pack QB. Since I don't like what I see in rounds 2-4 at QB, taking a long view with Moore makes sense to me. You can feel like you have a good shot at a decent #2, with upside, but low risk. If his measurables are too much of a detriment to his game, then you cut him or PS him just like you would any other late round pick.

If you're looking for a QB to fill out your roster, sure, I totally agree with you. If you're looking for a QB that you can groom for a few years and become a solid back-up, a Frank Reich, which can be a very important element of your team, sure I totally agree with you. This whole thing started, however, with the "Tom Brady was a sixth round pick" argument which I said I was sick of hearing. If you need and want a franchise QB in the 6th or 7th round and think you're going to get him there because 10 years ago it happened once, good luck. It's a terrible bet.

Skinny build, suspect arm strength, not as fast or elusive, as White. Moore is the more accurate passer,but White wasn't to bad himself. All in all I don't like Moores chances.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12485/type/college/pat-white

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/kellen-moore-1.html

Skinny build and suspect arm strength yes but your links do not help your argument. Kellen Moore completed more passes in each of his years than Pat White attempted. Think about that for a second. Moore had 142 tds to 28 ints. White threw for 56 tds to 23 ints. As players I don't see it and that is what matters to me.

Besides Pat White was black and Kellen Moore is white don't you know you can't compare the 2? :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

I keed I keed 0:)

Here is Chris Brown's read on Moore... and while I don't always agree with or trust his analysis of players, he does clearly know what the Bills are thinking usually, and while he won't give away any draft secrets, there are times when you can realistically rule stuff out from what he says. His take on Kellen Moore, when asked if he could be a 4th round pick of the Bills...

Being a guy of small stature myself I always root for the guys that aren’t blessed with the physical gifts that the elite prospects possess. But it’s even hard for me to look past Moore’s physical limitations. Being under six-feet tall wouldn’t be as much of an issue if he was on the higher end of the athleticism meter. Unfortunately he’s not. He lacks agility and escapability and that hurts him at the NFL level because at his height he’s going to need to move around a lot to find throwing lanes to throw through, much like Doug Flutie did. Moore can’t move like Flutie. He’s super intelligent and anticipates throws really, really well. He puts good touch on the ball as well, but driving the ball downfield isn’t something he’s going to do. I suppose he could survive as a backup WCO QB, but I believe he’ll be a successful offensive coordinator in this league before he’s a successful quarterback. A sixth or seventh-round pick at best.

Brown also said a trade down is a distinct possibility, which is good to hear, although not any news. And he did say the obvious caveat of you need a trade down partner.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/03/30/fan-friday-3-30/

1333137583[/url]' post='2426423']

Here is Chris Brown's read on Moore... and while I don't always agree with or trust his analysis of players, he does clearly know what the Bills are thinking usually, and while he won't give away any draft secrets, there are times when you can realistically rule stuff out from what he says. His take on Kellen Moore, when asked if he could be a 4th round pick of the Bills...

Brown also said a trade down is a distinct possibility, which is good to hear, although not any news. And he did say the obvious caveat of you need a trade down partner.

http://blogs.buffalo...an-friday-3-30/

My thoughts are exactly as Browns. Please don't draft Kellen Moore.