A question for all the gm's out there...

Explain me this please...

If a team has a mega buck left tackle And a below average quarterback (read: Mark Sanchez ), and that team trades for a left handed quarterback (read: Tim Tebow), what happens to the aformentioned left tackle?...

Does he move to RT?... if so, do they continue to pay him left tackle money?...

What Happens to the new blind side tackle?... does he now command big money for his new responsibilities?

Thanks in advance for sharing your vast wisdom and knowledge...

If a team has a mega buck left tackle And a below average quarterback (read: Mark Sanchez ), and that team trades for a left handed quarterback (read: Tim Tebow), what happens to the aformentioned left tackle?...

What Happens to the new blind side tackle?... does he now command big money for his new responsibilities?

You're under the potentially false assumption that there was a "plan" in place when the Jests made this move. All the evidence, including the one you've rightfully pointed out, shows otherwise.

Tebow is not a backup QB. He's a starter. He will be starting in NY soon enough. And it will be a disaster of epic proportions. Personally, I can't wait to watch.

You give your LT to the Bills and the Bills give you back Sam Young

Tebow is not a starting QB and if the Jets were crazy enough to put him in at QB, this draft is loaded with potential RT's which should tell us a lot if they DO draft a tackle. (side note - I'm not a GM, I just play one online)

Is it too late to change the example I used?... I was going after blindsidedness and left vs. right handed QB's... Not so much wanting to start more Timmytalk... ugh ... sorry

You're under the potentially false assumption that there was a "plan" in place when the Jests made this move. All the evidence, including the one you've rightfully pointed out, shows otherwise.

Tebow is not a backup QB. He's a starter. He will be starting in NY soon enough. And it will be a disaster of epic proportions. Personally, I can't wait to watch.

Agree 100%. Should be fun to watch.

The team that started all this hub bub on running the "wildcat" offense in the NFL recently (2008) was the Miami Dolphins who ran it well under Tony Sparano...who is now the OC in NY. Tebow was brought in to primarily run the Wildcat / option IMO.

The Jets made the playoffs by running the ball with that great O line,and Sanchez simply was managing the game at QB. Then last year the Jets OC kept calling for more passing then running. But then, the Jets also lost QB/ RB/WR Brad Smith to the Bills and their version of the WC was no more.

The Jets changed their OC / play caller this off season, and now wants to move back to running the ball more then passing it. Just to give you an idea of how much the Jets ran the ball and won by doing so.

2009, 393 passing attempts vs 607 rushing attempts

2010, 525 passing attempts vs 534 rushing attempts

2011, 547 passing attempts vs 443 rushing

FWIW, the now ex Jets OC Brian Schottheimer seemly wanted to build a high powered passing offense like the Patriots have, and got away from what made them a good playoff team....running the ball!

I really was hoping Chan Gailey was going to utilize the wildcat offense in Buffalo more when the Bills acquired Brad Smith, instead they turned him into a WR.....lame! I was also hoping the Bills would notice how the Jets were winning and beating the Patriots without a Tom Brady at QB and then build a team similar to the Jets. Great O line, great run game, and let the QB manage the game. Instead the Bills got another HC/ OC trying to imitate the Patriots offense, pass, pass, pass.

Edited by Fear the Beard

Was kind of wondering the same thing. I know the Eagles are paying Peters well to play LT even though Vick is a southpaw. I know Peters came first but it's not like they cut him loose or tried to move him back to RT. Sone of the more knowledgeable posters on here will surely be able to comment more but I think that generally an opposing teams best pass rusher plays the RDE position. Mario thrives at LDE where the Qb can see him beating his man and bearing down on him disrupting his progressions. Its why I really like the fact that we brought on Anderson. If healthy our D line should be very fun to watch.

Jp still plays LT even though Vick is a left handed QB. I don't recall a team specifically swapping their tackles to accommodate the QBs throwing arm. The blindside thing is a bit overplayed, teams don't totally swap their players around just due to the Qbs throwing arm, especially since there are so few lefties in the league.

Was kind of wondering the same thing. I know the Eagles are paying Peters well to play LT even though Vick is a southpaw. I know Peters came first but it's not like they cut him loose or tried to move him back to RT. Sone of the more knowledgeable posters on here will surely be able to comment more but I think that generally an opposing teams best pass rusher plays the RDE position. Mario thrives at LDE where the Qb can see him beating his man and bearing down on him disrupting his progressions. Its why I really like the fact that we brought on Anderson. If healthy our D line should be very fun to watch.

Maybe if we reference things like strong side, weak or open side and skinny side in rushing the passer in defining the pass rushers strengths/ talents.

Jp still plays LT even though Vick is a left handed QB. I don't recall a team specifically swapping their tackles to accommodate the QBs throwing arm. The blindside thing is a bit overplayed, teams don't totally swap their players around just due to the Qbs throwing arm, especially since there are so few lefties in the league.

Thankyou. Very. Much.

New Jersey probably thinks that having a mobile quarterback eliminates the need for a stout O-line. Expecting him to be Roethlisberger-esque.

In this case they may be right, since Tebow cant throw a pass it eliminates the need to be able to create a pocket, most of what Denver did with him where wild cat, shovel passes, some option, fakes, and misdirection, very rarely did he take a traditional 3 step drop.

The Jets offensive line has holes but its not a complete mess, they have a good left tackle and the best center in the league. If David DeCastro falls to them. The plus for us is they still need a RT and whoever that is will be lined up across from Mario Williams.

I have little to add to this conversation as I too, am not a GM.

Ironically one of the Bills high-first round busts, Mike Williams played right tackle at Texas where he was entrusted with protecting the blind side of his quarterback, left hander Chris Simms.

FWIW (probably not much) Ryan Clady remained on the left side even after Tebow assumed the starting spot in Denver.

I would venture that every case is different and you'd have to consider how incumbent the QB is for the long term as well as the possible disruption to the O-line when considering flip-flopping your tackles.

Like all decisions you weigh the cost and benefit.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Interesting question. There have only been 35 left-handed QBs in the history of the NFL according to this (don't know if it's true):

http://www.footballnation.com/content/steve-young-tops-list-nfls-greatest-left-handed-quarterbacks/11506/

and I'm sure many of them were obscure. I don't have an answer to your question, but here's a list of prominent lefty QBs - - maybe somebody who followed their careers closely would know what sort of OL adjustments, if any, were made because of their left handedness when they took over from their presumably right-handed predecessors:

1. Steve Young

2. Boomer Esiason

3. Mark Brunell

4. Scott Mitchell

5. Kenny Stabler

IIRC, Brunell was on the Jets roster in 2010 and 2011, so the Jets have dealt with a left handed backup QB recently.

Interesting question. There have only been 35 left-handed QBs in the history of the NFL according to this (don't know if it's true):

http://www.footballn...terbacks/11506/

and I'm sure many of them were obscure. I don't have an answer to your question, but here's a list of prominent lefty QBs - - maybe somebody who followed their careers closely would know what sort of OL adjustments, if any, were made because of their left handedness when they took over from their presumably right-handed predecessors:

1. Steve Young

2. Boomer Esiason

3. Mark Brunell

4. Scott Mitchell

5. Kenny Stabler

IIRC, Brunell was on the Jets roster in 2010 and 2011, so the Jets have dealt with a left handed backup QB recently.

I'm pretty sure Anthony Munoz, Tony Boselli, and Art Shell were all left tackles.