Roster/Depth Chart - DEs and LB

I've heard references to depth char here recentlyt, can't find depth chart on Buffalobills.com at present (and would need to take it with big grain of salt anyway).

The roster, though, seems to have been updated and has some interest as perhaps indicating how Wannstache views some of our players future roles.

1) A number of players who played LB last year are now listed as DE, including Kelsay, Johnson, Batten, and Eddins. And there was much rejoicing. Merriman is also listed as a DE.

2) Dwan Edwards and Carrington are now listed as a DTs along with Dareus, Williams, Troup, Heard, and a 2010 GB PS guy named Jay Ross (who?).

3) OLB are Barnett, Morrison, Moats, and Bryan Scott (not listed as a safety) as well as Chris White.

4) ILB are Sheppard and an acquisition that flew totally under my radar in early January - Scott McKillop

McKillop is an interesting prospect whose career was hampered by a serious 2010 training camp injury (ACL and patellar tendon) after making the 'niners as a ST and backup ILB in 2009. He was waived last August - not completely healed? Here's what Wiki has to say about him: Linky."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still a relatively unknown player as of the beginning of his junior season, McKillop enjoyed one of the most productive seasons ever by a Pitt defender, finishing with 151 total tackles, the third highest single-season total in Pitt history. The centerpiece of a unit that is seventh nationally in total defense, yielding just 297.67 yards per game, McKillop also compiled 9.0 tackles for loss, three sacks, two fumble recoveries, an interception and seven pass breakups. McKillop built a national reputation in 2008 and was a leading candidate for the country's top defensive awards. He recorded 126 tackles, 16.5 TFLs, four sacks and one interception, and earned 2008 All-American honors by the Football Writers Association of America and CBS Sports. McKillop was regarded as one of the better linebackers available in the 2009 NFL Draft.[1][3] He was selected in the fifth round (146th overall) by the San Francisco 49ers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this guy would have been a Wannstache recruit at Pitt? If he's healthy and he's learned anything from backing up Takeo Spikes for a couple years on the '9ers, he might be a nice addition.

Back to the roster, I think it may be a clue to the Bills draft day intentions.

From how the players are listed, it appears that many of the players who were acquired as potential 3-4 OLB (Batten, Eddins, Merriman) are now regarded as depth at DE. A couple players acquired as DE are now listed as DT (Edwards, Carrington) I would expect cuts after training camp, with the 5 backups each for DE and DT battling it out for no more than 3 roster spots.

I would predict that we want to keep Merriman if he shows anything at all in camp, but if he's injured or limited, there may be some tough choices.

I would expect the Bills to be drafting for LB, both OLB and esp. ILB ( let's not count on a ST player coming back from ACL/patellar tendon injury, even as a backup) and watching the waiver wire for lb depth, since 1 backup ILB and 1 backup OLB (Scott will be playing regularly in diff. packages), plus 1 developmental guy (White) ain't very deep.

Edited by Hopeful

I've heard references to depth char here recentlyt, can't find depth chart on Buffalobills.com at present (and would need to take it with big grain of salt anyway).

The roster, though, seems to have been updated and has some interest as perhaps indicating how Wannstache views some of our players future roles.

1) A number of players who played LB last year are now listed as DE, including Kelsay, Johnson, Batten, and Eddins. And there was much rejoicing. Merriman is also listed as a DE.

2) Dwan Edwards and Carrington are now listed as a DTs along with Dareus, Williams, Troup, Heard, and a 2010 GB PS guy named Jay Ross (who?).

3) OLB are Barnett, Morrison, Moats, and Bryan Scott (not listed as a safety) as well as Chris White.

4) ILB are Sheppard and an acquisition that flew totally under my radar in early January - Scott McKillop

McKillop is an interesting prospect whose career was hampered by a serious 2010 training camp injury (ACL and patellar tendon) after making the 'niners as a ST and backup ILB in 2009. He was waived last August - not completely healed? Here's what Wiki has to say about him: Linky."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still a relatively unknown player as of the beginning of his junior season, McKillop enjoyed one of the most productive seasons ever by a Pitt defender, finishing with 151 total tackles, the third highest single-season total in Pitt history. The centerpiece of a unit that is seventh nationally in total defense, yielding just 297.67 yards per game, McKillop also compiled 9.0 tackles for loss, three sacks, two fumble recoveries, an interception and seven pass breakups. McKillop built a national reputation in 2008 and was a leading candidate for the country's top defensive awards. He recorded 126 tackles, 16.5 TFLs, four sacks and one interception, and earned 2008 All-American honors by the Football Writers Association of America and CBS Sports. McKillop was regarded as one of the better linebackers available in the 2009 NFL Draft.[1][3] He was selected in the fifth round (146th overall) by the San Francisco 49ers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this guy would have been a Wannstache recruit at Pitt? If he's healthy and he's learned anything from backing up Takeo Spikes for a couple years on the '9ers, he might be a nice addition.

Back to the roster, I think it may be a clue to the Bills draft day intentions.

From how the players are listed, it appears that many of the players who were acquired as potential 3-4 OLB (Batten, Eddins, Merriman) are now regarded as depth at DE. A couple players acquired as DE are now listed as DT (Edwards, Carrington) I would expect cuts after training camp, with the 5 backups each for DE and DT battling it out for no more than 3 roster spots.

I would predict that we want to keep Merriman if he shows anything at all in camp, but if he's injured or limited, there may be some tough choices.

I would expect the Bills to be drafting for LB, both OLB and esp. ILB ( let's not count on a ST player coming back from ACL/patellar tendon injury, even as a backup) and watching the waiver wire for lb depth, since 1 backup ILB and 1 backup OLB (Scott will be playing regularly in diff. packages), plus 1 developmental guy (White) ain't very deep.

Agreed, the Bills need more 4-3 LBs (good ones). Trouble is, unless the team thinks Luke Kuechly can be very good at OLB, I don't see much to like at that position.

Many of the top guys listed at OLB in the draft pubs are only 3-4 OLBs or are 4-3 DEs (Melvin Ingram, Courtney Upshaw for example).

It's interesting that Spencer Johnson is listed as a DE and Dwan Edwards as a DT.

Albeit in a 3-4, Edwards has always been a DE and before coming to Buffalo, Spencer Johnson was always a tackle, backing up the Williams Wall.

I'm interested to see Scott McKillop but I'm very high on Chris White. The Bills scouts were raving about him after the draft last year… and his tape looked great. They were commenting on how his football intelligence is off the charts and that typically he would be moving to the ball and the focus of a play even before the ball was snapped by the offense. I was very sorry to see him get injured on special teams last year.

All that happened is that they took the roster from week 17 and moved every ILB (except Shep and McKillop) to OLB; every OLB to DE and every DE to DT. THe roster on buffalobills.com means nothing about where the stash plans on playing people.

All that happened is that they took the roster from week 17 and moved every ILB (except Shep and McKillop) to OLB; every OLB to DE and every DE to DT. THe roster on buffalobills.com means nothing about where the stash plans on playing people.

The roster may or may not mean anything about where the Stache thinks people fit, but in fact that is not quite what they did. :oops:

Thanks for your insight, though.

It's interesting that Spencer Johnson is listed as a DE and Dwan Edwards as a DT.

Albeit in a 3-4, Edwards has always been a DE and before coming to Buffalo, Spencer Johnson was always a tackle, backing up the Williams Wall.

I'm interested to see Scott McKillop but I'm very high on Chris White. The Bills scouts were raving about him after the draft last year… and his tape looked great. They were commenting on how his football intelligence is off the charts and that typically he would be moving to the ball and the focus of a play even before the ball was snapped by the offense. I was very sorry to see him get injured on special teams last year.

I thought that was interesting too.

If White pans out then we are deeper at LB than I think, I still see LB as a strong draft need.

The roster may or may not mean anything about where the Stache thinks people fit, but in fact that is not quite what they did. :oops:

Thanks for your insight, though.

I thought that was interesting too.

If White pans out then we are deeper at LB than I think, I still see LB as a strong draft need.

I added that same thought about McKillop in the Moats thread today, in case you missed it. One analyst said he would be starting next Willis eventually. Hope he recovers.

Can't remember a time where we've been this stacked at Defensive Line. Studs, depth, veterans, young guys... can't see us adding anything there before the 6th round. We definitely need some speed at LB though. Need someone behind Barnett.

On paper, the DL situation def. has me smiling. I'm waiting to see what happens on Sunday.

I think we need someone to back up all 3 LB positions - I know SJBF is high on White but I'm from Missouri....

I know a lot of people are high on Moats, it remains to be seen if Moats can pick up his run D enough to be an every-down LB-in-waiting, I'm from Missouri there too

I'm not at all persuaded Morrison can really play Sam though I'd love to be convinced......(I don't need to say it again)

Agreed, the Bills need more 4-3 LBs (good ones). Trouble is, unless the team thinks Luke Kuechly can be very good at OLB, I don't see much to like at that position.

Many of the top guys listed at OLB in the draft pubs are only 3-4 OLBs or are 4-3 DEs (Melvin Ingram, Courtney Upshaw for example).

Not sure why you think Kuechly moves to Sam, I feel Kelvin moves there. Prior to the draft, many publications believed he would play olb in the NFL....either way, we need another linebacker or 3.